Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most guys at the top level fight twice a year...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most guys at the top level fight twice a year...

The top and highest paid fighters fight twice a year for the most part. Taking on BS fights like this year can easily throw away a whole year of good fights that we support. All this "let this fight simmer and build up" is BS. Who knows if anyone one of us will be here in a year or two let alone tomorrow and such. I want the big fights now. I don't want to leave this planet and miss out. Say for instance, if Pac and May happen next year, do you know how many people passed who were waiting to see this fight since 09? I'm not trying to make it seem like boxing is the most important thing in the world but as a paying supporter I would like to see what I pay for.

I am a long time boxing fan and I remember the days when top fighters fought about 4 times a year and good champions defended their titles against top 10 contenders 3 or sometimes 4 times a year. The fighters still got lots of time off between training camps. I don't understand why so many top fighters only fight twice a year and some champions only defen

Comment

My post went up before I finished it but I was going to say some champions only defend their titles about once every 8 months. Today's fighters could fight much more often and make more money if they were more active.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
        My post went up before I finished it but I was going to say some champions only defend their titles about once every 8 months. Today's fighters could fight much more often and make more money if they were more active.
        Exactly my point. Most of these new fans are so out of touch. I for one am disgusted by the long waits. It wasn't always like this. Other athletes play daily or weekly. Can't these guys at least fight every season? I know people gasp at at the thought but we are all gonna miss out on very good fights cause they will never happen. If If fans are OK with that then so be it.

Comment

If i get sick this year and am on the verge of death....i will be wishing i could see my kids grow and had more time with them...sorry but i will not be worried about a damn fight

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
            If i get sick this year and am on the verge of death....i will be wishing i could see my kids grow and had more time with them...sorry but i will not be worried about a damn fight
            LOL What???

Comment

the last time pac fought 3 time a year was last 2008. Floyd? IDK.

Comment

Originally posted by 10COUNT View Post
                The top and highest paid fighters fight twice a year for the most part. Taking on BS fights like this year can easily throw away a whole year of good fights that we support. All this "let this fight simmer and build up" is BS. Who knows if anyone one of us will be here in a year or two let alone tomorrow and such. I want the big fights now. I don't want to leave this planet and miss out. Say for instance, if Pac and May happen next year, do you know how many people passed who were waiting to see this fight since 09? I'm not trying to make it seem like boxing is the most important thing in the world but as a paying supporter I would like to see what I pay for.
                Just further proof that this is the weakest era of the sport and we have the smallest talent pool, years ago champions fought about every other month.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
                  I know you have to defend your man at all cost but I didn't mean it in that sense. As I stated, I know it's not the most important thing in the world. I meant as in we never know what can happen. We can be gone tonight and miss the Porter fight tomorrow. I rather not wait for things to build up. I just want to see the best fight the best. Don't we all? Do you want to see the best fight the best or the best fight fight the mediocre?

Comment

When you make millions of dollars by fighting once or twice a year, why would you want to fight more? It's hunger that motivated fighters back in the day to fight 4 or 5 times a year, there was also 1 belt at every weight division and there were also less divisions than now, a title holder had too many contenders to beat to stay champion, and that's why great fights were made and that's why boxing was much more popular than now.

Fighters making tooooo much money+ too many belts= no need to fight too often (especially at the top level)

Comment

Working...
                    X