No announcement yet.

Gennady Golovkin: The Lost Art Of Shifting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jcsuper View Post
    I dont think people here are downplaying this skill, people are just saying that while certain fighters do it intentionally like GGG, Duran, Martinez... some other bad fighters end up doing it but are actually off balanced and have no idea what theyre doing.
    well that's two different things then.

Comment

That was good video. The very last example on the video, where they showed Pirog knocking out Jacobs, is the perfect example of Shifting (also known as a "cheat punch"). I'm not surprised that Steward and Jones had trouble describing because it's not used enough in among American boxers.

It's an advanced technique and It's definitely not about bad balance at all.

It's more common among European boxers and Dutch Kick boxers.

Here's an example of Kickboxer/MMA fighter Alistair Overeem shifting. It's the first part of the video.

Comment

Originally posted by Foreign Soil View Post
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyzX6WhJ-f4#t=20

Lol @ Jacob's face as he was watching Pirog switch up and trying to figure out what was going on, all confused and scared of the technique before getting caught.
        "The double shift is designed to force a retreating opponent to (1) step back from the first left, and (2) immediately spring away frantically to avoid the unorthodox right that should (3) leave him flustered and unprepared to avoid the final unorthodox left.

It is called the "double shift" because your body is shifting to the southpaw stance as you throw the right and shifting back to the normal stance as you shoot the last left.

The combination of movements should be made with utmost speed and savagery-with your fists going whoosh! -whoosh!-BOOM!

Even if you miss him with the last left, you'll be back in normal punching position, ready to work on an opponent who should be extremely
        flustered."

This book has amazing stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
          It is all good, i agree with everything ya'll are saying, we just have a different name for it round my way..but it is a forgotten technique...like the stutter step in Basketball
          I hear ya. I just thought it was funny. No problems

Comment

shifting can also just be bad footwork or a desperate overextension that will sure enough get you KTFO or schooled badly by a great counter puncher. You have to know the perfect times to use it because if not you will just look like a sloppy amature who is about to take a good counter

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
              shifting can also just be bad footwork or a desperate overextension that will sure enough get you KTFO or schooled badly by a great counter puncher. You have to know the perfect times to use it because if not you will just look like a sloppy amature who is about to take a good counter
              That goes with most skills. It has to be applied correctly.

Comment

Happens a lot more than people notice. Apparently.

Cotto, Dirrell, Donaire and others do this regularly.

Comment

thanks for the share

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Abed View Post
                    That goes with most skills. It has to be applied correctly.
                    Yeah but some techniques are more dangerous than others if not done correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
                      Happens a lot more than people notice. Apparently.

Cotto, Dirrell, Donaire and others do this regularly.
                      Margarito (used to) as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X