No announcement yet.

Olympic Wrestler vs. Pro Boxer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by twrx View Post
    7/8 current champs come from a wrestling background as aldo is the bjj background.
    Boxing is probably the best bet for a wrestler to learn some sort of striking . Guys who start out mainly in bjj have relied on just leverages and technique no unnecessary energy waste so they dont developer explosiveness in their strikes very few have any power. While wrestlers are built to strike and hit hard
    Why boxing over Muay Thai for striking?

If they're not interested (or not as good) in throwing kicks, elbows, or knees, they at least know how to defend against them. Boxing doesnt teach how to perform them, or how to defend against them. Not to mention, they (boxing and Muay Thai) are equally explosive.

Comment

Originally posted by Syf View Post
      I pick boxer...

Olympic wrestlers without any mma cross training wouldn't know how to fight...so.
      Wrestlers are elite in taking people down and controlling position. They can also throw you on the concrete. Once someone takes you down there really isn't anything technical to ground and pound.

Comment

Originally posted by Masters01 View Post

If they're not interested (or not as good) throwing kicks, elbows, or knees, they at least know how to defend against them. Boxing doesnt teach how to perform them, or how to defend against them. Not to mention, they (boxing and Muay Thai) are equally explosive.
        Which is why I said kick boxing earlier (learn to check /throw kicks). Lets look at hendricks hes primarily a wrestler he uses lil to no leg kicks he uses his punches to set up the td . The traditional mui thai fighting style doesnt seem to fit well with wrestlers as well as boxing unless your Jon jones. These guys learn striking as a necessity as a back up incase the td isn't there or as a way to set it up wrestlers main goal is get you down control and break you

Comment

If they're not interested (or not as good) in throwing kicks, elbows, or knees, they at least know how to defend against them. Boxing doesnt teach how to perform them, or how to defend against them. Not to mention, they (boxing and Muay Thai) are equally explosive.
          Fedor has said in the past there is no better combo than boxing and wrestling.

Comment

- I never said pure style existed in MMA nor did I even indirectly imply anything remotely close to that. You literally just made that up, very transparently (back to the intelligence thing).
            I just quoted you above saying how one style > another.

This thread is like something out of 2005.

lol at karate masters GSP and Liddell. I hope you're trolling for your sake.

Comment

Sambo >>> Wrestling

And it's not even close

Comment

I dont think so. In my case, I was raised under boxing, but it's only recently my stubborn ass started seeing and learning about the superior effectiveness of MMA (i also started jui jitsu classes of late).

I imagine many people like me who were originally boxing fans are in the same boat, slowly making that same shift, so long they have access to that knowledge base. Dana White himself was strictly into boxing, and taught white-collar boxing before he learned about Jui-Jitsu. A lot of us are just late-bloomers, so that it spilled onto boxing forums shouldnt be a surprise.

Or maybe Im just taking this too seriously, and there are indeed a bunch of bored guys from Sherdog watching too much Manny Pacquiao these days.

Nah, I'd say it has more to do with you becoming more at ease with your own *******uality without having to truly acknowledge it to others yet. That's the only plausible excuse for any grown man to be watching such cheap, tacky filth.

Dana White, despite the narrative he spins to gullible sort like you, has only ever been into helping middle aged women get into shape. He was a boxercise instructor before hanging up the leg warmers and spandex pants to get involved with promoting softcore gay ****ography.

Comment

Originally posted by King- View Post
                  Sambo >>> Wrestling

And it's not even close
                  Sambo is basically Judo+Wrestling combined with submission leg locks.

Great art.

Comment

Majority, wrestler would win. Are you kidding me? Once you get suplex'd into the next millennium the pull counters, check hooks, and straight jabs don't mean ****.

The core strength that an Olympic wrestler utilizes would overwhelm a progressional boxer.

Comment

Working...
                    X