No announcement yet.

Real boxing fans, Lets talk post Cotto-Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NAPO View Post
    Cotto's movement surprise the **** out of me. I also believe a 100% Sergio would of still had his hands full against the Cotto. I must say, Roach has done a good job with Cotto.
    this is the best ive ever seen cotto look, just perfect performance. defensively he didnt get caught with anything meaningful and yeah his aggressive footwork was something sergio had never seen. sergio is a good fighter but not a great, i am a fan of his because he gives it 100% and is usually the underdog in big fights but the truth is he isnt as great as some people on here made him out to be. he has looked limited against average fighters like macklin/barker/murrary etc.

i want to see cotto vs canelo/floyd, i think both fights are winnable. he looked very strong in there today and wasnt showing signs of gassing so floyd rematch will be very interesting. i would still pick floyd but its a very interesting fight

Comment

Martinez as a fighter was all footwork. Take that away, and this this is the performance you get. Unable to turn the opponent means unable to avoid the left hook, plain and simple.

Martinez is a great fighter, just one that got old.

Comment

Originally posted by RA-Box View Post
        Martinez as a fighter was all footwork. Take that away, and this this is the performance you get. Unable to turn the opponent means unable to avoid the left hook, plain and simple.

Martinez is a great fighter, just one that got old.
        Sadly, I agree 90%.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughts View Post
          The difference in the fight was Cotto's left hook that Sergio had no answer for. Even Sergio 2 years ago wouldn't have had an answer for it because of Sergio's style. To say Cotto was only landing flush left hooks because of Sergio's legs is absurd. The same people who were picking Martinez to crush Cotto are the same one's making all the excuses for him.
          No excuses from me. Cotto was so complete tonight, I think he would beat almost anyone fighting like that.

Comment

I feel asleep!!!!!!

But saw youtubed it

war cotto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Sergio Martinez is a good fighter, damn good. He's not a hall of famer......I repeat.....Sergio Martinez is not a hall of famer.

Comment

Cotto demonstrated speed and power the likes of which I cannot recall seeing in many many years of watching him. He didn't even need to work as much as he normally does. He was like a mini Mike Tyson. Explosion after explosion. There was lethal force on display in there. Seemed like every solid punch he landed - no matter where he landed it - hurt Martinez badly. Some of the counterpunches he timed were among the most sudden and sharpest I've ever witnessed. Ever. From anyone. Had to rewind some of them three or four times. At one point he turned and wrapped Martinez' entire body around and rotated him like he was manhandling a small child. I don't think I've seen anything like it.

Comment

Martinez is a late bloomer anyways. He was always going to be old no matter what. He took some hard shots but Martinez was the much heavier man coming in tonight, so he was expected to withstand them. Even at 155 Cotto's left hook is unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by KingTito View Post
                    I said this in another thread. Martinez wasn't 100%, but everyone picking him to destroy Cotto knew he wouldn't be. It was a risk Cotto took, and he looked great. He won in every aspect of the fight. I'm thankful to have witnessed history.

I must admit though. I feel for Sergio a bit. I've been a fan and had the pleasure of meeting him. He's a great guy. I usually root for him in every fight, but not tonight. He got dismantled.

Also, the undercard wasn't bad. I wasn't too happy with Sonsona-WV2, but whatever. The other two were quality fights.
                    Cotto wouldn't have taken such a risk at this stage, he knew exactly how bad Martinez condition was. I never thought he would take the fight being in THAT bad a shape. Let's talk boxing: anyone looks good against a man that by all means shouldn't fight any more.

Comment

Originally posted by FerFAL View Post
                      Cotto wouldn't have taken such a risk at this stage, he knew exactly how bad Martinez condition was. I never thought he would take the fight being in THAT bad a shape. Let's talk boxing: anyone looks good against a man that by all means shouldn't fight any more.
                      To be fair, Cotto's left hooks started landing way before Martinez started moving around. Cotto either way looked impressive, but clearly Martinez was past it. can't blame Cotto and Martinez did talk alot. It hurt seeing that Martinez yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                      X