Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When was the last time 80K+ people showed up for a fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When was the last time 80K+ people showed up for a fight?

When was the last time 80K+ people showed up for a fight?

just wondering I know JCC did like 100K or something in Mexico City Back in the day, but is that the last time someone broke 80K in attendence?

80K is a pretty lofty number. I can think of fairly recent fights that managed to pull in 50K+, but nothing that comes close to 80K.

Klitschko/Haye, perhaps? I know those attendance numbers had to be huge, but I don't think it was 80K.

Comment

Hmmm,

Tony Zale vs. Billy Pryor at Juneau Park, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA, in 1941 - 135,000
      Max Schmeling vs. Walter Neusel at Sandbahn Lokstedt, Hamburg, Germany, in 1938 - 100,000
      Len Harvey vs. Jock McAvoy at White City, UK, in 1939 - 90,000
      Len Harvey vs. Jack Peterson at White City, UK, in 1934 - 90,000

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
        80K is a pretty lofty number. I can think of fairly recent fights that managed to pull in 50K+, but nothing that comes close to 80K.

Klitschko/Haye, perhaps? I know those attendance numbers had to be huge, but I don't think it was 80K.
        Yeah, what made me think of this was I was actually watching a david haye interview right now and he said he was just glad to be there cause 80K+ attendance doesn't happened every day he cant even remember the last time something like that happened and I was like neither can I.

david haye interview im talking about
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_0N8qXomco

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post

Think Haye vs. Klitschko was about 50,000

Comment

Besides Cowboy stadium, is there even a stadium in America that can seat 80,000?

Comment

Originally posted by yoz View Post
              Think Haye vs. Klitschko was about 50,000
              I figured the same, but in that interview Haye is saying something astronomical.

Wonder if anybody has the official attendance numbers. I googled, but came up emptyhanded.

Comment

Calzaghe v Kessler was 55k.

The two Pac fights at Cowboys were around 40k.

Comment

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
                  Besides Cowboy stadium, is there even a stadium in America that can seat 80,000?
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ms_by_capacity

You'll notice that the vast majority are football stadiums.

Boxing could court venues like that for bigger fights, but I don't think boxing would ever fill those types of stadiums again.

For starters, who the **** wants to go to Ann Arbor or Knoxville to see a fight?

Secondly, boxing appears to have an exclusive unwritten contract with the city of Las Vegas as far as the biggest fights are concerned.

Comment

Oscar did what, 27,000 against Forbes and 45,000 against Charpentier?

Whitaker-Chavez was around 60,000 I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X