Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When was the last time 80K+ people showed up for a fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
    No doubt it'll take a lot of politicking and hard work to actually get the plans for a stadium set in motion, but I'm pretty confident that the city council of Los Angeles will eventually work everything out. It's too big an attraction to turn away.

I'm equally confident in De La Hoya's ability to make the power plays needed to get a negotiate an exclusive contract with the owner once it's completed.

It's not really a matter of "if" - It's a matter of "when."
    I agree with everything you said. The tax the place will generate is too tempting to pass up and Oscar is LA and he has alot of friends so I have no doubt he can work something out.

Comment

No doubt it'll take a lot of politicking and hard work to actually get the plans for a stadium set in motion, but I'm pretty confident that the city council of Los Angeles will eventually work everything out. It's too big an attraction to turn away.

I'm equally confident in De La Hoya's ability to make the power plays needed to get a negotiate an exclusive contract with the owner once it's completed.

It's not really a matter of "if" - It's a matter of "when."
      There's a big problem with these massive stadium events, and its the fact that you cant see **** from majority of the seats

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
        There's a big problem with these massive stadium events, and its the fact that you cant see **** from majority of the seats
        People don't care about that.

Put a huge screen in that stadium like at Cowboys stadium and people will still show up just to say that they were a part of it. Pacquiao/Clottey was a **** fight and look at how many people still showed up. You throw together a serious fight card that appeals to latino fans and they'll be hanging from the goddamn rafters with one hand and drinking their coronas with the other.

They didn't even have giant screens back when Louis/Schmelling 2 put 70,000 asses in seats in Yankee satdium.

Comment

Chavez vs Haugen had 132,274 in attendance in Estadio Azteca.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedMurderer View Post
            Can you please explain more, not sure what "due to transport for london" means?

thanks in advance
            What he meant was a government body limited the capacity, they become concerned that too many people leaving the stadium at once would put a strain on London's transport infrastructure, particularly the underground (subway) and that it would be dangerous.

Honestly though this fight could have sold twice as many tickets considering it sold out in minutes. Unbelievable demand in the uk. But don't forget music festivals hear regularly sell out all their 150,000 tickets in under an hour too so it's not unprecedented.
            Last edited by MBE; 06-05-2014, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LilGizmo View Post
              Chavez vs Haugen had 132,274 in attendance in Estadio Azteca.
              Yeah, that number was ****ing ridiculous.

He was never a favorite of mine or anything, but I've never seen a boxer connect with his audience like Chavez did in my entire time as a fan. The connection he had with his people was ****ing unbelievable.

The closest I can think of in recent years would be Felix Trinidad, but compared to Chavez he may as well have been invisible.

Comment

I guess Bob Arum should build his stadium.

Comment

Dempsey-Carpentier !

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedMurderer View Post
                    what you think it will take to start getting mega fights in these type of situation, I think if Las Vegas had a Stadium (a football team) then the situation will be more likely that big fights will be more often then not. Cause cowboy stadium nice but what next after the fight? most people go to vegas as a package, gamble, party, go to the fight, party afterwards etc etc.
                    UNLV football stadium seats 40,000. For a boxing event there would be more with floor seats.

Comment

Yeah, that number was ****ing ridiculous.

He was never a favorite of mine or anything, but I've never seen a boxer connect with his audience like Chavez did in my entire time as a fan. The connection he had with his people was ****ing unbelievable.

The closest I can think of in recent years would be Felix Trinidad, but compared to Chavez he may as well have been invisible.
                      Yea it's insane that many people showed up, makes you wonder if that can be topped by Jr. Or Ginger some day.

Comment

Working...
                      X