No announcement yet.

The two reasons why Floyd never fought Sergio Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WilkinsOlajuwon View Post
    I dont understand why floyd fans would not want him to fight sergio (should have been in 2012). Dont you want to see Floyd challenge himself and do great things in the ring? Fighting and beating Sergio would be an amazing accomplishment.
    Yes, most of us want to see this fight. If he doesn't, that doesn't mean he isn't challenging himself nor does it mean he can't do great things in the ring.

Comment

I don't think Martinez has the skill. Period. He will also gas. Mark my words.

Comment

Originally posted by rambov View Post
        I don't think Martinez has the skill. Period. He will also gas. Mark my words.
        You see, someone thinking outside of their hatred for Floyd. It's blatantly obvious Mayweather will, and would have always schooled Martinez.

Comment

If Chavez had more discipline he would have beaten Martinez. He parties waay too much and relies on his natural ability waaay too much.

Sergio started boxing late. He would have trouble with any pure boxer. Nice guy though.

Comment

I'm not even a Floyd fan and I'm being called a "troll" for something that is so obvious if you would take a step back and stop thinking like little *****es.

Comment

what else is new? every fighter that floyd doesn't want to fight is an easy fight for him according to his herd...rinse and repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                Not that your point isn't fair-but at least acknowledge that many of those who did this started their career at ww, they weren't on the tail end of their career that began at 130.

It also wasn't about always about proving themselves as many posters suggest. The example always cited is duran. he went to MW because he ate, drank, and drugged himself out of shape. He got fights because he was still a viable draw and still a good enough fighter to beat good but not great heavier fighters.
                Its convenient for some to always point to the business aspect of boxing as the driver. We've seen plenty of examples in the sports 100 years of fighters that want money and to be the best. Your assessment of Duran is self-serving.

Comment

Originally posted by SeekDaGreat View Post
                  I'm not even a Floyd fan and I'm being called a "troll" for something that is so obvious if you would take a step back and stop thinking like little *****es.
                  I can address this since I am the one who stated this is a troll thread. Here is why: The first point, to a boxing fan, can't be taken seriously. Floyd Mayweather fans may agree with this; however, generally, to say Martinez is not "good enough" is a flagrant statement. Martinez has good skills and is very capable of fighting and beating pure boxers/punchers, he has the movement ring intelligence and the level of opposition has been pretty staunch.

The second point is commendable but invalid considering that he fought a "lesser" known fighter in Maidana and got beat the **** up. Pardon the language.

Lastly, most trolls laugh at their own threads they start and make statements like "Now you guys can rest easier at night". Sorry bro.

I'm just being objective here.

You're post:
                  1.) he's not good enough, skill wise.
                  2.) he's not popular enough, he has no market value.

Now you guys can rest easier at night.

Lol@the thought of Mayweather ducking an easy UD against Martinez.

Comment

Originally posted by WilkinsOlajuwon View Post
                    Its convenient for some to always point to the business aspect of boxing as the driver. We've seen plenty of examples in the sports 100 years of fighters that want money and to be the best. Your assessment of Duran is self-serving.
                    I didn't make business the driver. But I think profit is always part of it.

It's also difficult to compare eras. Respectfully, for example, guys went from 135 up to 160 in part because there was no 140 or 154 at the time. Not saying your point is incorrect or not valid.

My assessment of Duran is not self serving its honest and accurate. It doesn't in any way take away from his greatness as a fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
                      The Williams KO only proves that Sergio is a PED cheat because he didn't KO him in the first fight...
                      i hope your joking

Comment

Working...
                      X