No announcement yet.

The two reasons why Floyd never fought Sergio Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rws25 View Post
    This thread is not accurate.. Stephen Espinoza of Showtime said it is very possible that the winner of the Cotto/Martinez fight could end up fighting Floyd. And when specifically asked about Martinez, he said he is very interested in showcasing a fight between Floyd and Sergio in the future on Showtime.
    Wishful thinking by Espinoza. Sergio still has two fights left after the Cotto fight on his 4 fight deal he signed with HBO starting right after the Chavez Jr. fight. After that Sergio and Floyd will most likely be done so very slim chance of them ever sharing a ring.

Comment

Whatever the reason, Mayweather never liked fighting southpaws.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        Two reasons

Size and size
        agree! why should floyd fight 2 weight classes above his natural size?

Comment

This is a troll thread looking to achieve one thing, get the Martinez fans riled up.

I'll bite. Martinez > Mayweather.

I've always pointed out the reasons of a Martinez victory over Mayweather. Maybe in this stage of Martinez career it may be more of a competitive fight given Martinez injury but I think he has the skill, size and movement to give Mayweather problems. We will see after Cotto.

Comment

Martinez would get dominated by Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
              Floyd didn't before that point but no way after that would Floyd have taken that fight. Too much of a challenge for TBE

This is how I assume you feel about your idol Manny vs Sergio too right? Pacuiao NEVER wanted that scrap?

Right?

Comment

D O E is getting played out fast

Comment

Originally posted by tokon View Post
                  agree! why should floyd fight 2 weight classes above his natural size?
                  because this is what many past welter champs did. "TBE" should prove it.

Comment

I dont understand why floyd fans would not want him to fight sergio (should have been in 2012). Dont you want to see Floyd challenge himself and do great things in the ring? Fighting and beating Sergio would be an amazing accomplishment.

Comment

Originally posted by WilkinsOlajuwon View Post
                      because this is what many past welter champs did. "TBE" should prove it.
                      Not that your point isn't fair-but at least acknowledge that many of those who did this started their career at ww, they weren't on the tail end of their career that began at 130.

It also wasn't about always about proving themselves as many posters suggest. The example always cited is duran. he went to MW because he ate, drank, and drugged himself out of shape. He got fights because he was still a viable draw and still a good enough fighter to beat good but not great heavier fighters.

Comment

Working...
                      X