• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kadena View Post
    i dont remember them having acne on their body especially at age 40

inb4 first post
    Excellent first post.

Marquez may very well go down as the biggest juicer in the history of the sport if you think about it.
    Last edited by The Problem Child; 05-24-2014, 04:32 AM.

Comment

776 BC - 393 BC - Ancient Greeks Use Performance Enhancing Drugs

"The use of drugs to enhance performance in sports has certainly occurred since the time of the original Olympic Games [from 776 to 393 BC]. The origin of the word 'doping' is attributed to the Dutch word 'doop,' which is a viscous opium juice, the drug of choice of the ancient Greeks."

Feb. 1968 - First Drug Testing at Olympic Games

"The IOC instituted its first compulsory doping controls at the Winter Olympic Games in Grenoble, France in 1968 and again at the Summer Olympic Games in Mexico City in the same year.

http://sportsanddrugs.procon.org/vie...elineID=000017

Nearly 3000 years of doping.

Comment

Originally posted by wiz1030 View Post
        guys may very well have been on stuff back then. The difference between now and then is these guys are on DESIGNER PED's. The stuff probably makes the old school stuff look like Flintsone vitamins
        All the way from the 60s

Perhaps steroids weren't as potent and their weren't as many but no doubt could they enhance your performance you'd have to be kidding yourself to think otherwise they weren't like just taking vitamins that is just absurd!

Early 80's

There probably wasn't much knowledge on them from those time scales from the average Joe Blogg but from both the 60s to the 80s people were thinking that these Mr Olympians were natural physiques so...
        You wonder how they hid steroid usage in boxing?

Comment

Human Growth Hormone was very expensive in the past. It used to be extracted from cadavers, and was in widespread use during the 80's. It is now synthetic, and much cheaper. It is also almost impossible to detect. Furthermore one can see benefits even years after use.

Steroids were developed in the 40's by the Soviets, and in America in the late 40's. One thing to remember is that steroids were legal up until the late 80's/90's in the US. Steroids in certain situations are technically legal in many countries still. Steroids have been used by boxers since well before the 70's. They also reap benefits after the drugs have left the system. Most athletes will cycle their drugs to beat drug tests. Different types of anabolics last different amounts of time in the system (12 hours to 1 month).

I also agree that in ALL sports skills trumps muscles. People don't understand that the best peds, and combinations of peds can only increase your attributes by 5-30% of your overall ability. A Paulie Malignaggi using all of the steroids under the sun would never become a KO puncher. Musculo-skeletal structure determines power. Generating power from pivoting motions in the body is what generates power so the length, girth, density of the bone and the muscle type is what truly determines KO power. Still it is something that many competitive athletes are taking.

Evander was recently (within the past 5 years) implicated in a Florida steroid/hgh pharmacy scandal so he might have amazing genetics (I know he does), but he has also been used peds. I believe most of the top athletes are using the drugs. Marquez gets a lot of negativity about it since he just began taking them but many of his opponents have taken them for even longer..... Most athletes in all sports are taking them.

Keep in mind that steroids/ hgh/ epo do different things, and have different effects. They also can have negative performance effects.
          Last edited by Randomum; 05-24-2014, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Randomum View Post
            Human Growth Hormone was very expensive in the past. It used to be extracted from cadavers, and was in widespread use during the 80's. It is now synthetic, and much cheaper. It is also almost impossible to detect. Furthermore one can see benefits even years after use.

Steroids were developed in the 40's by the Soviets, and in America in the late 40's. One thing to remember is that steroids were legal up until the late 80's/90's in the US. Steroids in certain situations are technically legal in many countries still. Steroids have been used by boxers since well before the 70's. They also reap benefits after the drugs have left the system. Most athletes will cycle their drugs to beat drug tests. Different types of anabolics last different amounts of time in the system (12 hours to 1 month).

I also agree that in ALL sports skills trumps muscles. People don't understand that the best peds, and combinations of peds can only increase your attributes by 5-30% of your overall ability. A Paulie Malignaggi using all of the steroids under the sun would never become a KO puncher. Musculo-skeletal structure determines power. Generating power from pivoting motions in the body is what generates power so the length, girth, density of the bone and the muscle type is what truly determines KO power. Still it is something that many competitive athletes are taking.

Evander was recently (within the past 5 years) implicated in a Florida steroid/hgh pharmacy scandal so he might have amazing genetics (I know he does), but he has also been used peds. I believe most of the top athletes are using the drugs. Marquez gets a lot of negativity about it since he just began taking them but many of his opponents have taken them for even longer..... Most athletes in all sports are taking them.

Keep in mind that steroids/ hgh/ epo do different things, and have different effects. They also can have negative performance effects.
            A pro boxer with the ability using steroids is blatantly unfair, even with Paulie on it it'd mean he'd be able to last longer...
            Train harder (steroids promote quick recorvery) in the gym thus giving him more benefits of being ready for a fight

Just because its not going to make him into a jackhammer puncher doesn't mean that he wouldn't be able to beat guys that he normally wouldn't of, he is likely going to be able to put an unrealistic pace on a fight and hold it through a longer pace than any other guy and he'd also have the strength advantage aswell these all play into the disadvantage of a guy who isn't on the juice.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
              In Duran's time, steroids was not even an idea in the mind of chemists.
              Duran wrote in his autobiography that he took horse steroids before one of his fights. You are a prime example of someone that talks out of their dirty asshole.

Comment

Of course they were. Every athlete in every sport was doping hard back then.

Comment

Originally posted by - Ram Raid - View Post
                  Don't know about all of them but Holyfield's without doubt and Duran's very dubious.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=597142
                  Duran is dubious? The only thing dubious about Duran was his training regime and discipline.

It's moronic to think that anyway. He showed all of that promise incredibly early in his career when there is no way he'd have anything close to the backing, money, popularity or fame to use steroids in the late 60s and early 70s and he showed every bit of the speed, stamina, power and strength all the way back then as a featherweight, super featherweight and young lightweight. By the time he was well known enough for anyone to risk such stuff on him and for it to be worth it, he never showed an increase in speed, power, or stamina that he hadn't had as much or more of earlier in his career when he was just an unknown prospect. The thought is absurd.

He was given stuff to help him lose weight, not steroids, because he was a lazy bastard and even that was only talking about his rematch with Leonard because he was not on track and had to lose weight very quick. You only have to look at his very typical physical decline to know that he wasn't on anything. By the time he was big enough to have the money to do that, he was fatter, slower, and had less power than ever, so clearly it wasn't doing him any good even if he was.

We do know that he admits to having help to lose weight, but that certainly wasn't steroids for performance enhancement, but was just a powerful diuretic. The fact that he was faster, stronger, had more power, had more stamina from his teens as an unknown poor kid until his late twenties, then began a steady, yet rapid, decline as happens when naturally ageing, shows that it's incredibly unlikely he was on anything.

Either way, what people keep mentioning here as steroids, from his book, was a diuretic they used in veterinary medicine. Some people here are acting as if he wrote "I was given powerful injections of HGH, EPO, the Cream and Clear and became a beast" rather than, and I paraphrase, "I was given a diuretic injection used for horses to help me lose weight rapidly and it made me very sick". Yeah, sure, clearly he was on roids!

He had a steady increase in skill etc until he hit his physical and mental peak in the late 70s, moved up, beat Leonard, lost to Leonard and then a rapid decline. Even in the first Leonard fight, he never showed anything that he hadn't shown since his very early career except for more experience and slicker defense. There wasn't once that he was ever a different fighter from his teens to his late twenties when he beat Leonard and there is no way in hell a poor kid from Panama with very little prospects had the huge amounts of money that would've been necessary back then to even think of the possibility of it.

Silly thought.
                  Last edited by BennyST; 05-24-2014, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
                    Duran wrote in his autobiography that he took horse steroids before one of his fights. You are a prime example of someone that talks out of their dirty asshole.
                    No, he didn't. He said he was given a diuretic injection to help him lose weight, which was given to horses and just made him sick from too rapid weight loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cyclone View Post
                      A pro boxer with the ability using steroids is blatantly unfair, even with Paulie on it it'd mean he'd be able to last longer...
                      Train harder (steroids promote quick recorvery) in the gym thus giving him more benefits of being ready for a fight

Just because its not going to make him into a jackhammer puncher doesn't mean that he wouldn't be able to beat guys that he normally wouldn't of, he is likely going to be able to put an unrealistic pace on a fight and hold it through a longer pace than any other guy and he'd also have the strength advantage aswell these all play into the disadvantage of a guy who isn't on the juice.

I am against the use of PEDs in all sports. Just pointing out that many more boxers are on the drugs than we think. Also the drug problem goes way back into at least the mid 1950's. I wish that we could test for all of these drugs, year round but we can't, and we don't. I am just pointing out that Marquez is not the only culprit. I believe that most of the top fighters are on some sort of PED, or have at least used it at some point. You also have to consider the use of peptides which are not illegal, nor tested for but provide an unfair advantage.

I believe that a way of taking drugs away from the sport is olympic drug testing the top 10 guys in each weight class in the sport year round under the same testing regiment. That way if anyone is in the rankings to get a title shot they will get tested. But even so there are still ways to beat the system with guys like Heredia, Conte, Ariza, and the hundreds of others that operate namelessly.
                      Last edited by Randomum; 05-24-2014, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X