No announcement yet.

The fighters in the 70s and 80s must have all been on steroids

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fighters in the 70s and 80s must have all been on steroids

Watching Duran and Leonard back again now, 15 round war of constant hard punches, the stamina levels of fighters back then were unreal.

Even in the 90s you just got to look at Evander Holyfield's traps to know he was juicing.

i dont remember them having acne on their body especially at age 40

inb4 first post

Comment

Originally posted by Kadena View Post
      i dont remember them having acne on their body especially at age 40

inb4 first post
      Different steroids and different doses.

Comment

I don't remember any of you guys being alive back then to know all of this about acne on the chest back then, etc.

Comment

I don't remember those guys having acne , and did the commission do testing back then? Do you know?

Comment

Questionable to say the least...

Comment

guys may very well have been on stuff back then. The difference between now and then is these guys are on DESIGNER PED's. The stuff probably makes the old school stuff look like Flintsone vitamins

Comment

Originally posted by wiz1030 View Post
                guys may very well have been on stuff back then. The difference between now and then is these guys are on DESIGNER PED's. The stuff probably makes the old school stuff look like Flintsone vitamins
                Common sense right here.

Let's see. PEDs were used since the early Olympic days, and you don't think every major sport was in on it after that? Let's be real.

Comment

We'll never know for sure. It's very possible.

The one argument I'd offer against it, and it still holds true now to some extent, is that boxing is so 'traditional' (i.e. backward) in its conditioning practices that doping may not really have been in the picture.

Doping has been most prevalent in sports where there's been a very high level of attention paid to the science of physical conditioning and preparation. Sports where there is a relentless search for edge in preparing for competition.

These sports are also primarily athletic in their nature, sports like swimming, running, or cycling, where shaving seconds or minutes off a split is what the athletes live for.

That's not what boxing is like. Firstly, boxing is extremely technical compared to those sports. Skill is way more of a factor. Secondly, boxing isn't a sport where the science of physical conditioning is highly advanced.

It's not to say that there's no doping in boxing. But it's not as guaranteed that guys were doping as it is in those other sports.

Comment

In Duran's time, steroids was not even an idea in the mind of chemists.

Comment

Working...
                    X