Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Showtimes not focusing on profit with Mayweather.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thread starter is correct. There's a huge difference in how rich people plan their finances and how people of average income plan them. A company isn't going to invest a huge sum of money for something that will only draw them money for the next couple of years; because in the grand scheme of things the money that they will earn is a mere pin prick.

The long term value of having Mayweather fight is in the exposure it gives them. They're solidifying their boxing brand, and improving the marketability of fighter's who will be around for the next 10 years.

What I feel would be financially damaging for them, in the long run, are fighters jumping ship. Like what happened with Andre Ward, after the Super Welterweight tournament, although I suspect they've learned to draft better contracts since.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
      The thread starter is correct. There's a huge difference in how rich people plan their finances and how people of average income plan them. A company isn't going to invest a huge sum of money for something that will only draw them money for the next couple of years; because in the grand scheme of things the money that they will earn is a mere pin prick.

The long term value of having Mayweather fight is in the exposure it gives them. They're solidifying their boxing brand, and improving the marketability of fighter's who will be around for the next 10 years.

What I feel would be financially damaging for them, in the long run, are fighters jumping ship. Like what happened with Andre Ward, after the Super Welterweight tournament, although I suspect they've learned to draft better contracts since.
      this is very true, good post.

Comment

Lmao @ this horse schit. Showtime has been putting on fights since before many of you floyd stans were even born. Try the mid 80s. You minions have really fallen off the deep end with this excuse. Some of the most memorable fights have been on showtime. But now they suddenly "need exposure" after 30 + years of showcasing major fights? What happened to "boxing is a business, if it don't make dollars it don't make sense."? FOH clowns.

Comment

good thing your not running any sort of business coz fosure it'd go bust. not about the money?!? GTFOH this ain't no charity case

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Showtime leading the revolution with non-profit organization doe.

To their credit, CBS profit is up 5.6%, that's 468 million dollars profit first-quarter 2014 earnings. I think they will be alright.

Comment

So there following the Circuit City and Blockbuster models eh

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Picker View Post
                Lmao @ this horse schit. Showtime has been putting on fights since before many of you floyd stans were even born. Try the mid 80s. You minions have really fallen off the deep end with this excuse. Some of the most memorable fights have been on showtime. But now they suddenly "need exposure" after 30 + years of showcasing major fights? What happened to "boxing is a business, if it don't make dollars it don't make sense."? FOH clowns.
                Espinoza - "This is all about attracting subscribers, and getting compelling, unique, noise-making programming," he says. "Floyd fits all of those objectives. He makes noise. There's no one in the world who doesn't know we have this deal in place. He is one of the most talked-about athletes in any sport, and he's exclusive to us." He's certainly unique."

Comment

SHO did profit. It's only Floyd's haters who say otherwise. Dd HBO lose money over Pac Bradley II? I said did HBO lose money over Pac Bradley II...? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
                    Espinoza - "This is all about attracting subscribers, and getting compelling, unique, noise-making programming," he says. "Floyd fits all of those objectives. He makes noise. There's no one in the world who doesn't know we have this deal in place. He is one of the most talked-about athletes in any sport, and he's exclusive to us." He's certainly unique."
                    Espinoza is probably the dumbest addition to Showtime. Mayweather is not on Showtime. He's on PPV. If you're a subscriber like me you won't get to see Mayweather's fights. And I don't really care if I don't. What is disappointing is non-PPV fights have become extremely rare when this Espinoza guy took over. You hardly see Bernstein and company anymore.

If you're thinking of signing a Sho subscription, forget it. Fights are extremely rare. You're better off streaming them.

Comment

People don't pledge their allegiance to networks. Nobody says I'm not watching Alvarez or Klitschko or Ward because he is on this or that network. They watch because they are interested in the fighters or match-ups. Nickelodeon could host a good fight and people would watch.

There might be a way to put a happy face on Showtime's economic blunder, but this isn't it.

Comment

Working...
                      X