Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting off the ring becoming a lost art?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's pretty damn difficult to cut the ring off when your opponent is hell bent in getting away from you. The best in the game right now in " making the ring smaller " is GGG. He just glides all over the ring with smooth steps and is always in position to throw.

Plus not a lot of styles really are meant for this. I mean pretty much all defensive fighters never learn or use this.
    Last edited by TRTboy; 05-15-2014, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drakknoir View Post
      some fighters do it quiet well i think Maidana did a decent job against floyd recently. hard to work out if that was more Maidiana's credit or floyd inviting him in to catch him clean. pacqiuao also does it pretty well when he needs too. carl froch is very good at cutting off the ring considering his lousy footwork

anyone who talks about 'running' i just instantly switch off. its boxing, hitting without being hit. why should the more skilled boxer be stigmatised, in the sport of boxing!?
      Running is avoiding confrontation at all times, defensive fighters strive on making their opponents miss.

yes theres a difference between runners and great defensive technitions

Pretty straight forward for any boxing fan.

Comment

Originally posted by TRTboy View Post
        It's pretty damn difficult to cut the ring off when your opponent is hell bent in getting away from you. The best in the game right now in " making the ring smaller " is GGG. He just glides all over the ring with smooth steps and is always in position to throw.

Plus not a lot of styles really are meant for this. I mean pretty much all defensive fighters never learn or use this.
        It's definitely easier said than done, but you would think this would be critical in training camps for come forward fighters

Originally posted by ElMeroChingon View Post
        Running is avoiding confrontation at all times, defensive fighters strive on making their opponents miss.

yes theres a difference between runners and great defensive technitions

Pretty straight forward for any boxing fan.
        Bolded. There are times when a boxer is running. The best example I can think of off the top of my head would be when Dirrell fought Froch. Dirrell did A LOT of running that fight

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieClutch View Post
          A lot of people get mad when a fighter is boxing, or "running" to them, but I get mad at the other boxer for not being able to cut off the ring. It seems like cutting off the ring is becoming a lost art within the sport of boxing. What do you guys think?
          Agree. We have to consider the current culture of the sport. We live in an era where the "shoulder roll" and "Philly shell" style have been trending thanks to guys like Floyd Mayweather and Bernard Hopkins. Everyone has been trying to implement it in their fight game. Cutting off the ring has become a lost art and it's a shame cause it can play a major roll in the fundamental aspect of the sport. Good observation Frankie!

Comment

GGG is really good at cutting off the ring. I'd say he's right up there with the best at cutting off the ring.

Comment

Love GGG (KZ rep)

But he has not cut off the ring off any pure counter punchers.

His aggression looks great but I don't want him to be a hype job.

Comment

Well you gotta realize this.

Floyd and Chino fought in a bigger ring than Heavyweights Stiverne and Arreola.

The ring in Monte Carlo GGG fights in is probably smaller than the ring during "The Moment" PPV.

Comment

Working...
                X