Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Margarito was a decent fighter but Arum made him biggest hypejob of the last 15 years

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigAlexSand View Post
    I would have to agree completely. Margarito has been the biggest hype in years next to Berto... His career best was against Cotto, which outside of the delusional feel it was a faulty win (if not down right a cheat). The man has been bested and exposed by the best and he is no longer relevant.
    LOL nothing tops Jones being called one of the greatest ever after beating a cop Richard Frazier.

Comment

April 23rd, 2014, is the day Two Margarito Thread were created both concerning his ATG/Greatness status.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
        Before Mayweather turned down a fight with him to fight the real champion in Baldomir and former undisputed champion in Judah, Margarito was the WBO welterweight titleholder and on a roll. Wins over Kermit Cintron, Antonio Diaz, and Six heads Lewis were his biggest wins and he was very big for a welterweight.

By piggy-backing and using his former clients name, he made Margarito "the most feared welterweight in the world."

I never saw what it was that was supposed to make him so formidible for Mayweather to supposedly duck him. He was the first of many fighters who would become similar to a "white hope" on who would beat Mayweather.OKay he had a great chin and stamina, after that he has low marks in just about everything else. slow of hand and foot...combos were slow, footwork crappy, he didnt cut off the ring he just followed fighters around. His power is up for debate considering we dont even know the fights he used illegal gloves in.

Now its the end of his career...He was obliterated by a 37 year old Mosley, dominated again by Cotto but this time lost on a stoppage, and got the stuffing beat out of him againt Pacquaio, Lost to the wholly average Daniel Santos, former WBO 154 beltholder.

He was never anything special to begin with and im glad that era of time is over. A win over this guy between 05-present would have done nothing to enhance Mayweather's resume
        No my friend. Margarito may have had loaded gloves but there was a several year span where Margarito was a terminator with boxing gloves and no would fight him.
        Last edited by tank17211; 04-23-2014, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantastic One View Post
          LOL nothing tops Jones being called one of the greatest ever after beating a cop Richard Frazier.

Nothing tops a Roy Jones fan referring to another fighter as a "cheat."

Comment

Easily one of the biggest frauds of the last 10 years. Hasn't won a meaningful fight since being caught with illegal wraps.

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
              Margarito had a following before all of that... .. before youtube was invented and people saw that video of the two interacting. MAybe after that the hype started to get going but before that he had an organic following of his own. REally no need to hype an all action pressure fighter, people are drawn to those types
              he had a following but it was a fever-ish pitch when people caught wind of Mayweather wanting to fight other fighters. Arum made him a hypejob

I agree he did have a following of his own.

He lost to the best fighters he ever shared the ring with though

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist
                Source for the entire article: (Mayweather turns down 8 million to fight Margarito; author: Dan Rafael, it was updated on April 12th 2006)

Face time: Mayweather had nothing to gain from fighting Margarito financially. There was no reward for this. There might have been a risk (but I can***8217;t say what would have happened because it didn***8217;t happen). Mayweather went on to fight the Carlos Baldomir for a dollar more 8,000,001, but he was the lineal welterweight champ. But Oscar had both risk and reward and we saw the results. Several people have fought and beat Margarito and their careers haven***8217;t gone anywhere (Paul Williams, Shane Mosley). If anyone can provide me with a web sight, newspaper clipping, anything that has facts on it, I***8217;m open to it. Peace.

the bold just about summed it up for me about how I felt about Mayweather not fighting Margarito. I would have like to have saw the fight, but in Mayweather shoes it was all risk and no reward....Hatton and DLH was risk and reward
                [Floyd] belts collect dust[/mayweather]

so why does it matter that he fought for the championship again?

oh yea, because baldomir had the belt.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Arum didn't do ****.

Margarito got to where he was by fighting as hard as he did, and never taking a step backward. (until he met Mosley and Pacquiao)

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                    he had a following but it was a fever-ish pitch when people caught wind of Mayweather wanting to fight other fighters. Arum made him a hypejob

I agree he did have a following of his own.

He lost to the best fighters he ever shared the ring with though
                    His hard work gave him the hype.

Wins over Randall, Martinez, Diaz, Lujan, Clottey, Cintron and knocking people out in style.

He had more hype after his win vs Cotto than when Mayweather ducked him. PR/Mex mega fights tend to do that for the victor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Stokes View Post
                      Nothing tops a Roy Jones fan referring to another fighter as a "cheat."
                      But but but banned substances are different.

Comment

Working...
                      X