Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it say about Calzaghe that fans give him credit for Hopkins's achievements?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
    I love Jesus too as I'm a christian but you have no idea whom I'm biased toward. I'm a Roy Jones fan and couldn't care less who won between them two. The fact is that I saw the fight live and several time since and the lasting impression that I had was that Hopkins got way out-landed and out-worked and lost 8 rounds to 4 with a swing round or two, while having to act like he got hit low with his veteran savvy in order to survive the workrate.
    If Hopkins had not done that, he may not have been stopped hut there certainly wouldn't have been another round to say he was in that he really didn't do anything significant.
    You say Calzaghe outlanded Hopkins when its clear from the replays that almost all of his punches missed. You refuse to accept that yet its a fact.

Comment

Hopkins fans can't cope with the fact that B-hop lost to a white boy (B-hop's words). They can't cope with the fact that Calzaghe landed more punches on B-hop than any other fighter could. They can't cope with the fact that compubox had Calzaghe landing a hundred more punches than B-hop did. It's time to get over this Hopkins fans, your favorite fighter lost to a legend, there's no shame in that.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeVen0m View Post
        I say the opposite. It says more about Bernard cause he's still fighting while Joe is God knows where, probably bumping a line of coke off some skrippers ****.

If they were to step in the ring tomorrow. Bernard would wipe the floor with Joe at this age. What does that say about Joe since he's the younger of the two.
        It says that he retired and sat on his arse for the past 5 years whilst Hopkins still fights to try to erase the memory of getting bum raped in the middle of the ring by him.

Comment

the hopkins win for calzaghe is a good win.nothing hopkins does will make it a great win.it will always stay a good win because it should be common sense that a prime hopkins would likely decapitate joe.how much credit should you really get for beating a 44 yr old

Comment

Originally posted by r.burgundy View Post
            the hopkins win for calzaghe is a good win.nothing hopkins does will make it a great win.it will always stay a good win because it should be common sense that a prime hopkins would likely decapitate joe.how much credit should you really get for beating a 44 yr old
            It's a shame that prime Hopkins rejected the chance to fight him then.

Hopkins was 42 and was the consensus number 1 at Light Heavyweight after beating Antonio Tarver.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
              It says that he retired and sat on his arse for the past 5 years whilst Hopkins still fights to try to erase the memory of getting bum raped in the middle of the ring by him.
              calzaghe doesn't have to fight anymore. he has triangle power to fight for him. he's already beaten froch through kessler and pavlik and pascal through hopkins. i guess he triangle lost to dawson, ward, and froch as well so that sucks but oh well.

Comment

It's a shame that prime Hopkins rejected the chance to fight him then.

Hopkins was 42 and was the consensus number 1 at Light Heavyweight after beating Antonio Tarver.
                im not 1 who thinks joe wasnt a great fighter.he clearly was.but bottom line is,he is supposed to beat a 42 yr old guy

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                  calzaghe doesn't have to fight anymore. he has triangle power to fight for him. he's already beaten froch through kessler and pavlik and pascal through hopkins. i guess he triangle lost to dawson, ward, and froch as well so that sucks but oh well.
                  I think he doesn't fight anyone more because he made 10 million fighting a shot to **** Roy Jones. Calzaghe didn't love boxing and had brittle hands so why continue? It was a job to him. It's Hopkins' life.

Which only enhances Joe's legacy more for beating him!

Comment

You actually believe Joe would still be undefeated if he fought today? His style consisted of outworking his opponents, that wouldn't last long in his later years. He didn't have power to begin with so youngers guys with good chins and power would've walked him down and stopped him.

It was a close fight no doubt, but it wasn't a rape. It seems like Calzaghe fans keep looking for things to make his legacy better. Hopkins will be remembered as an ATG and Joe will be forgotten about because as you put it, he "retired and sat on his arse for the past 5 years whilst Hopkins still fights".

Comment

I don't think he should get credit for Hopkins' achievements.

What I think is funny is how the impressions of the Calzaghe-Hopkins fight changed and were revised throughout time.

The initial line was that Calzaghe picked on a 42 year old man and would have never beaten him in his prime.

Then as Hopkins kept winning and beating younger guys, the theory was that Bernard was actually "robbed" in the fight and Calzaghe never actually beat him.

It's one of the biggest false controversies I've ever seen. The only controversy from that fight was how Hopkins was allowed to take two separate knees without being counted out.
                      ^

I've ALWAYS felt that way....from day one!!....many others did as well....some dude even made a youtube vid with slow motions and all that.....dude probably had mad time to kill but anyways, a lot of cats felt BHop won that from day one

Comment

Working...
                      X