Bernard Hopkins has underrated power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hectari View Post
    That right hand is nasty.

Natas knows I'm not a B hop fanboy I always criticize him, but I am unbiased and have to give my honest opinion with credit due and B hop has one of the most underated right hands in boxing, if he threw it more and threw more 3-4 punch combos he would be sparking guys out.

He throws short punches making them powerful, he keeps his hooks short too this is how he gets so much power on them.

He dropped that dude Robert Allen with his sneak right as well.
    The uppercut feint/block, followed by the right hand that dropped Trinidad was a thing of beauty.

Comment

Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
      Don't get me wrong, he can obviously crack, but...

Comment

Not really. His timing provides the shock factor that takes opponents by surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
          I disagree, the reason he doesn't have much KO's above 160 is he doesn't let his hands go much, he conserves his energy and picks his shots at this stage of his career because he knows he will gas out at is age wasting punches. But when he does let his hands go he wobbles and rocks guys even drops them.

B hop has power man, look at that Pavlik fight he was hurting Kelly a lot, and Kelly has a iron chin, but he was busting him up bad. Kelly wasn't willing to trade as much he was focused on blocking shots more.
          Pavlik fight is kind of an anomaly man. He hurt him a couple times, but he hit him with everything and couldn't stop or drop him, and Pavlik was coming up from 160 to meet him at 170.

I see your point about not letting his hands go as much, but one exception I can think of is Wlad. He's very economical and still gets guys outta there, that's what I think of as power.

Bernard can keep you honest but he's not a hard hitter. I think he had above average pop at middleweight though.

Comment

Hopkins light heavyweight record is 9-3-1 and 1 NC, 0 KO's. I'll leave it at that.

Comment

Hopkins has average power. He doesn't sit down on his shots.

What makes him effective is how he uses his entire body to confuse his opponent into thinking the punch is coming from one angle when his fist is actually traveling from a different angle entirely. He's extremely crafty.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcsuper View Post
                Hopkins was a huge puncher back in the time, some people seem to forget that
                He was never a huge puncher.

At middleweight he was a decent puncher at best and at light heavy he is a non-puncher.
                Last edited by RubenSonny; 04-20-2014, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MR. SIXTY40 View Post
                  Disagree, Bernard doesn't have much power at 175. Never has, but he did have decent pop at 160.

He hasn't stopped anyone in 10 years, and Shumenov is the first guy he dropped since Calzaghe in 2008.

That's the way I see it. He just does not have class stopping power above 160. You can't explain away all these years NOT knocking someone out when you have some of the best timing in the sport. Which just brings you back around to some of the best timing of the sport is what makes fighters hesitant. Any guy with half decent power that can find shots like Bernard Hopkins can make someone respect their punches. But he doesn't have much single shot power at light heavyweight.

Comment

He's got respectable power your not just gonna walk in on him he's a pretty underrated body puncher too he hurt pascal to the body a few times in their first fight

Comment

Working...
                    X