No announcement yet.

Acceptance of todays boxing scene.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
    I agree with some that your saying, but in other sports, the best play the best,,
    In the world cup, teams are forced to play against each other,,
    same with american football, baseball, basketball....

You will never see a team duck another team,,, Thats the huge difference, and yes they all revolve around money, but other sports have figured out the best way to make the most money is to give fans what they wanna see,,, Boxing gives us too many cherrypicks and hypejobs to be considered a real sport, and other sports actually have rules,, boxing has zero rules except for what everyone agrees to on fight night,,

Hence why in the US, boxing has fallen behind Nascar and Golf as major sports...
    We are simply not going to get the best versus the best all the time. For one thing, it'd kill the fighters - for example, if GBP's (stacked) Welterweight roster went at each other for 2 years, by the end they would all be ruined quickly. Saying that, there needs to be a happy medium - they need to throw us a Thurman-Porter fight once in a while. Right now, all I'm seeing is Malignaggi, (Carlos) Molina, Diaz, (John) Molina as opponents (and I'm sure Cano and Judah will turn up shortly too), which is somewhat annoying.

I just don't think you can compare boxing with other sports. The stakes are too high, the damage on fighters too debilitating, for us to use the same 'best vs best' principle. What I look at is this - at the end of the year, how many great match-ups did I see, even if the fights didn't live up to expectations. And I tend to find nearly every year has a very good proportion of excellent fights. I mean, we've got Pac-Bradley and Froch-Groves rematches coming up. Name me another sport that has such compelling match-ups.

But don't get me wrong. I know the sport is ****ed up. The politics of it, especially recently with the HBO/TR vs SHO/GBP standoff is insane.

This is going to be controversial (and I'll say right of the bat, I am a Floyd hater and so my point is biased) but I do think a lot of the **** that is going on right now is linked to Floyd one way or another. You can trace things back to him, either via his influence over other fighters, or his direct involvement in matters.

His presence absolutely adds something unique to the sport, and he brings in a lot of attention and eyeballs. But I am not going to lie - I am looking forward to him retiring because his presence creates a toxic atmosphere, and I think other things will improve; ie, Haymon will no longer be able to leverage Floyd against networks.
    Last edited by Porter's Dad; 04-04-2014, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Pacquiao and Bradley are two of the best. The match makes sense to me and I would have been disappointed if Pacquiao was fighting anyone except Bradley unless he was fighting Mayweather but that fight won't ever happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia's Dad View Post
        I've said it before and I'll say it again; boxing is the worst run sport in the world but it's also the best sport in the world.

The power guys - Arum, Haymon, Schaefer, Mayweather, Espinoza - are squandering the inherent brilliance of the sport with their greed/power/ego trips and pettiness.

The politics at the heart of the sport are ridiculous and soul-destroying but I still consider the sport above mere "entertainment". Sometimes all of us nerds are too entrenched in the sport to realise how great it actually is.

Believe me, it still ****s on all sports. There's a reason why, as I have gotten older, that I have become incredibly bored with all other sports and yet my relationship with boxing only gets stronger and deeper.

100% co-sign. I have gotten bored with the NBA (used to be a big fan) and hardly watch it. Every year, less and less. Someone always points out how great it would be if Boxing was like the NBA where the East Champion cannot duck the West Champion for the NBA Title.

B.S. they have the same money/contractual politics with a lot less at stake to boost. Players lose without a care sometimes and just come back next year.

It's somewhat understandable how fighters duck each other (though I don't condone it) because they only have one record to advertise. Once the aura of invincibility is shattered, your paydays decrease in most cases (Mike Tyson and Delahoya were the exception to the norm)

As long as LeBron displays his trademark athletics and scores a respectable amount, it doesn't matter if he wins another Title. He will get his multi-million dollar paydays
        Last edited by cupocity303; 04-04-2014, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Boxing can't operate like other sports because the best fighters don't necessarily have the best drawing power. The sport needs to fill arenas and get ratings to keep functioning. Winning isn't rewarded like it is in the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Golf, Tennis, NASCAR, etc.

If the San Antonio Spurs dominate the league with defense and fundamentals they still sell out and fill seats at road games. If a boxer wins with good defense and fundamentals nobody wants to sit through 12 rounds of watching him pick apart an opponent that is noncompetitive.

I'd say its 30% sport, 70% entertainment.

Comment

I agree with some that your saying, but in other sports, the best play the best,,
            In the world cup, teams are forced to play against each other,,
            same with american football, baseball, basketball....

You will never see a team duck another team,,, .

See what I mean ^^^

Thats the huge difference, and yes they all revolve around money, but other sports have figured out the best way to make the most money is to give fans what they wanna see,,,
            Nonsense. There is a lot that NBA Basketball doesn't have to worry about. One of them is "Entertaining the crowd". A team could be blowing away their opponent by 30 points in a boring-esque game and nobody would boo because it's boring. Players just play and there happen to be exciting games, or exciting individual performances (I.E. Kobe/Jordan/LeBron scoring 50 pts)

Usually the booing is at the opposing team or at the home team for not stepping up. NBA sells because the fans associate the Teams with their city and fans identify as being part of the "Laker Team" or the "Bulls Team".

The vast majority of Boxing doesn't have that. It's all Fuck you, entertain us!!! White and Black American fighters know this too well. The only ones who escape this are Hispanic fighters (Ricans, Mexicans). That's why Danny Garcia will be walking out with a P-rican flag stuffed up his ass, because being 'from the streets of Philly' doesn't cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia's Dad View Post
              We are simply not going to get the best versus the best all the time. For one thing, it'd kill the fighters - for example, if GBP's (stacked) Welterweight roster went at each other for 2 years, by the end they would all be ruined quickly. Saying that, there needs to be a happy medium - they need to throw us a Thurman-Porter fight once in a while. Right now, all I'm seeing is Malignaggi, (Carlos) Molina, Diaz, (John) Molina as opponents (and I'm sure Cano and Judah will turn up shortly too), which is somewhat annoying.

I just don't think you can compare boxing with other sports. The stakes are too high, the damage on fighters too debilitating, for us to use the same 'best vs best' principle. What I look at is this - at the end of the year, how many great match-ups did I see, even if the fights didn't live up to expectations. And I tend to find nearly every year has a very good proportion of excellent fights. I mean, we've got Pac-Bradley and Froch-Groves rematches coming up. Name me another sport that has such compelling match-ups.

But don't get me wrong. I know the sport is ****ed up. The politics of it, especially recently with the HBO/TR vs SHO/GBP standoff is insane.

This is going to be controversial (and I'll say right of the bat, I am a Floyd hater and so my point is biased) but I do think a lot of the **** that is going on right now is linked to Floyd one way or another. You can trace things back to him, either via his influence over other fighters, or his direct involvement in matters.

His presence absolutely adds something unique to the sport, and he brings in a lot of attention and eyeballs. But I am not going to lie - I am looking forward to him retiring because his presence creates a toxic atmosphere, and I think other things will improve; ie, Haymon will no longer be able to leverage Floyd against networks.

You can fight the best over and over... UFC does it all the time, and pretty much every mma promotion big or small pits their best vs the best..

Right now if boxing was a true sport we would have

Floyd vs Bradley for welter

Manny vs jmm 5 for #1 contender
              Porter vs Thurman for #2 contender

Wlad vs fury

Serg vs ggg

Garcia vs gamboa

Boxing does a horrible job of giving fans what they want.. The other sports including mma do a much better job...

Hence why boxing isn't mainstream anymore, but just a niche sport where only the hardcore fans pay attention

Comment

Originally posted by Cupo303 View Post
                See what I mean ^^^

Nonsense. There is a lot that NBA Basketball doesn't have to worry about. One of them is "Entertaining the crowd". A team could be blowing away their opponent by 30 points in a boring-esque game and nobody would boo because it's boring. Players just play and there happen to be exciting games, or exciting individual performances (I.E. Kobe/Jordan/LeBron scoring 50 pts)

Usually the booing is at the opposing team or at the home team for not stepping up. NBA sells because the fans associate the Teams with their city and fans identify as being part of the "Laker Team" or the "Bulls Team".

The vast majority of Boxing doesn't have that. It's all Fuck you, entertain us!!! White and Black American fighters know this too well. The only ones who escape this are Hispanic fighters (Ricans, Mexicans). That's why Danny Garcia will be walking out with a P-rican flag stuffed up his ass, because being 'from the streets of Philly' doesn't cut it.

Ok, well if u think boxing does a great job and isn't a joke of a sport, then more power to you.. You have to be a complete idiot to think boxing does a good job promoting the sport...

I can't believe people make excuses for boxing... The sport is a joke,, and not just because of the crappy matchmaking, but also the crap rules, the crap sanctioning bodies, crap judges etc...

Boxing as a sport is a travesty.. Unless it changes it's ways, boxing will remain a niche sport,

Comment

You can fight the best over and over... UFC does it all the time, and pretty much every mma promotion big or small pits their best vs the best..

Right now if boxing was a true sport we would have

Floyd vs Bradley for welter

Manny vs jmm 5 for #1 contender
                  Porter vs Thurman for #2 contender

Wlad vs fury

Serg vs ggg

Garcia vs gamboa

Boxing does a horrible job of giving fans what they want.. The other sports including mma do a much better job...

Hence why boxing isn't mainstream anymore, but just a niche sport where only the hardcore fans pay attention
                  mma is dying. 340k ppv's sold for their biggest star. 269k ppv's for a card with two belts on it.

Comment

Ok, well if u think boxing does a great job and isn't a joke of a sport, then more power to you.. You have to be a complete idiot to think boxing does a good job promoting the sport...

I can't believe people make excuses for boxing... The sport is a joke,, and not just because of the crappy matchmaking, but also the crap rules, the crap sanctioning bodies, crap judges etc...

Boxing as a sport is a travesty.. Unless it changes it's ways, boxing will remain a niche sport,
                    I didn't say that Boxing is "doing a great job". Your words, not mine.

You're being a tad bit too emotional about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupo303 View Post
                      I didn't say that Boxing is "doing a great job". Your words, not mine.

You're being a tad bit too emotional about this.
                      He hates boxing and loves mma. but posts here instead of sherdog.

Comment

Working...
                      X