Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Kovalev's HBO Headlining Debut Draws Over 1 Million

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

28 million subscribers who pay for HBO anyway, getting one million to watch boxing is not that impressive I'm sorry. It's not adding any new subscribers. HBO has been on the declined since it hired Ken Hershman or whatever his name is...the guy who made Showtime unwatchable.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake4380 View Post
      28 million subscribers who pay for HBO anyway, getting one million to watch boxing is not that impressive I'm sorry. It's not adding any new subscribers. HBO has been on the declined since it hired Ken Hershman or whatever his name is...the guy who made Showtime unwatchable.
      Meanwhile, HBO-televised Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.-Bryan Vera II fight drew 1,390,000 viewers... (You remember who JCC Jr is?)...

(Stevenson's knockout of Tony Bellew on Nov. 30 was 1.3 million viewers. And Kovalev's second-round destruction of Ismayl Sillakh was also at 1.3 million.)

Comment

Their ratings have been going up and Hershman did a good job at Showtime. Consider that 1 million would be a home run for Showtime and they only have a few million less subscribers then HBO.

Comment

Made Showtime unwatchable? Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
            Despite going in as a 38-1 favorite against an unknown opponent, Sergey Kovalev came up big in his debut as an HBO main event fighter. The Russian knockout artist managed a respectable rating over just over 1 million viewers for his March 29th knockout win over Cedric Agnew in Atlantic City.

Kovalev’s 7th round knockout win over Agnew was viewed in 1.006 million homes, according to data obtained from Nielsen Media Research. [Click Here To Read More]
            That's good to hear!!...boxing fans still tuning in, even for mismatches....and we wonder why they don't give us the fights we want....use our addiction against us .....jokes aside, good numbers!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Philadel View Post
              That's good to hear!!...boxing fans still tuning in, even for mismatches....and we wonder why they don't give us the fights we want....use our addiction against us .....jokes aside, good numbers!!
              Sadly, its not really a joke. I agree with you on this post.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                That's the double standard that pisses me off. You'll also hear that Ward isn't a draw even in Oakland because he "only" had 7,611 people for the Chad Dawson fight.

Meanwhile Kovalev has 2,416 people and it's perfectly acceptable. Almost no one mentions it and he gets a pass.

It seems that if certain people like a fighter he gets more slack and more chances to gradually grow into a star. If they don't like a fighter or he beat one of their favorites then they are super critical of him and unless he is perfect in all areas he will get **** on.
                It's not that 1 million is some record breaking figure - it's more that given Kovalev was all but unknown a year ago and really hasn't been promoted all that heavily (certainly until late last year) and doesn't have an inbuilt fanbase in the US it's a very good number - surprisingly so, in fact.

'Course you'd expect an established star to draw more, but it's very impressive for the point Kovalev is at in his career and shows he has the potential to become a major star in the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by artfuL_ View Post
                  lol. Do you know what the difference in license fee HBO paid for both fights. Considering Ward is a P4P star and American fighter he should have blitzed Kovalev's rating.

The fact that they are that close signifies how little interest Ward brings and how quick Kovalev's popularity is growing.
                  Nobody ever claimed that Ward is a star.So that nullifies your argument right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                    The criticism of Andre Ward was he got paid $2 million to do less ratings than some fighters who fought for $400k. He was overpaid, and it has come back to bite HBO.
                    No,that`s B.S and you know it,right after the rating for Ward/Rodriguez was announced,people were making comments that Ward is can`t draw anyone to his fights,and people was making fun of Wards ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
                      a million people that never want to see Dulorme box again
                      My god wasnt he boring! I nearly missed the Kovalev fight as I nodded off towards the end of the Dulorme fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X