No announcement yet.

A Review of Bernard Hopkins PPV History

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
    Will people tune in to watch BHop on HBO/Showtime? Sure, he has had an amazing career and continues to do amazing things. Do people want to pay $40 or $50 to watch him wrestle, intentionally use his head in the clinch, and argue with the ref for 12 rounds? Hell no, people don't want to pay to see that ****.
    forgot all about that one

Comment

Originally posted by Hougigo View Post
      Dude brought like what, 1.8 million for the Pascal fight. What amazes me is that his Dawson rematch didn't tank even though we all saw the first fight
      You don't think Pascal-Kovalev can do 1.8 million views?

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
        No, it would do nowhere near that.. Kovolev has been on under cards on hbo and hasn't been anywhere near 1.8 million

Kovolev is still unknown to everyone but hardcore fans,, his profile is growing, but Hopkins been around forever and everyone knows who he is..
        If you haven't watched boxing in the past year or so, then you would have no idea who kovolev or Adonis is.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
          No, it would do nowhere near that.. Kovolev has been on under cards on hbo and hasn't been anywhere near 1.8 million

Kovolev is still unknown to everyone but hardcore fans,, his profile is growing, but Hopkins been around forever and everyone knows who he is..
          If you haven't watched boxing in the past year or so, then you would have no idea who kovolev or Adonis is.
          Was the 1.8 million views in the first fight or the rematches?

Comment

The point of the poster is that Bhop is not a draw. Never has been. Never will be. HE SHOULD NOT BE A PPV FIGHTER. Period. He's barely a shoebox feature lol

Comment

Hell naw... Cotto couldn't even break 1.6

Pascal/Kovalev would break a million probably....1.8 though?

Comment

Ok...my last sentence was in jest. But you idiots know what I meant

Comment

Was the 1.8 million views in the first fight or the rematches?
                  Honestly I think the 1.8'is alittle high,, I know the rematch did the bigger numbers, but I think it was around 1.2-1.4 million

Comment

Hopkins is the biggest American draw after Mayweather. Nobody else has consistently gotten ratings and gates bigger than him. He's not an A-side PPV seller, but he's one of the best PPV B-sides.

If you're talking American PPV, there's zero chance Stevenson-Kovalev even gets 100k buys. I have no idea how you arrived to 200k. Both have only been in the American scene for around a year. And we're talking a Russian and a Canadian, demographics who aren't known for buying PPVs. I'm not even sure why we're talking PPV. Neither Stevenson-Hopkins or Stevenson-Kovalev would be PPV. There's a reason for that.

I think all of Stevenson's fights are PPV in Canada. If you're talking Canadian buys, I have no clue how well that does there. One thing that for sure that as a ticket seller, Hopkins would be infinitely better than Kovalev. Hopkins fought Pascal twice in Canada in sold out Arenas. Canadians know Hopkins very well. Pascal never sold as many tickets as he did with Hopkins, with the exception of the Bute fight of course.

I don't think there's any question Hopkins-Stevenson is a much bigger fight than Stevenson-Kovalev .That being said, a choice between Hopkins and Kovalev shouldn't have been problem. Stevenson had the option fight Kovalev either last time or simply next instead of Fanfora.
                    Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 03-26-2014, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                      Hopkins is the biggest American draw after Mayweather. Nobody else has consistently gotten ratings and gates bigger than him. He's not an A-side PPV seller, but he's one of the best PPV B-sides.

If you're talking American PPV, there's zero chance Stevenson-Kovalev even gets 100k buys. I have no idea how you arrived to 200k. Both have only been in the American scene for around a year. And we're talking a Russian and a Canadian, demographics who aren't known for buying PPVs. I'm not even sure why we're talking PPV. Neither Stevenson-Hopkins or Stevenson-Kovalev would be PPV.

I think all of Stevenson's fights are PPV in Canada. If you're talking Canadian buys, I have no clue how well that does there. One thing that for sure that as a ticket seller, Hopkins would be infinitely better than Kovalev. Hopkins fought Pascal twice in Canada in sold out Arenas. Canadians know Hopkins very well. Pascal never sold as many tickets as he did with Hopkins, with the exception of the Bute fight of course.

I don't think there's any question Hopkins-Stevenson is a much bigger fight than Stevenson-Kovalev .That being said, a choice between Hopkins and Kovalev shouldn't have been problem. Stevenson had the option fight Kovalev either last time or simply next instead of Fanfora.
                      Bernard Hopkins is the biggest American draw outside Mayweather?

Broner-Maidana would've done better than 40k had the undercard not folded. Schit, Keith Thurman-Mathysse would do better than 40k.

No matter how you cut it; Hopkins is not a PPV star worth enough to be leaving an entire network. Take a number and pick it, Kovalev-Stevenson does slightly less than what Hopkins-Stevenson will do.

IDK why you're turning Bernard Hopkins into a PPV star worthy leaving a network.

Hopkins didn't sell out the Canadian arena, Jean Pascal did. Hopkins can't even sell out a local boxing club. I remember back in Tucson, AZ, Hopkins was giving out autographs on base. There was no more than 150 people there total. The base comprised of at least 100k people. This was back in 2007
                      Last edited by BoxingGenius27; 03-26-2014, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X