Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long is HBO Going to Stay in the Boxing Business?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Holywarrior View Post
    HBO did fine last year. They had a couple fights of the year. Showtime just had an unreal year that won't ever happen again.
    I think that all happened for a reason, although I don't think Showtime had an unreal year they put more in and got more out, but their plan worked out and in boxing that is asking a lot so I see your point. You are also right about HBO they had some good nights no doubt, but the question to ask is where are they really going with it, do they want to show some good fights (nothing wrong with that) or do they want to be the King of Boxing

To me it is all part of a larger trend as opposed to a one off, but maybe you are correct it certainly could go that way.

Comment

Originally posted by WilkinsOlajuwon View Post
      What "trend?" "Going all wrong?"

Dude you havent backed up ANYTHING you have said. Do you have any info on a decrease in HBO's budget or in how many fights it plans to schedule? Have they cut back on tertiary programming like 24/7, Fight Game, Face Off, etc.? Have they trimmed undercard broadcasts? something...anything other than your observations.

Maybe you are on to something but you cant back it up so it looks like you are just reading headlines press releases about fighters signing with Showtime and then saying HBO is on its way out.
      Why are you still here?

Go look up Mr.Pain81 (post #53) post a couple pages back, I thought you read the thread already that has been here since it got bumped and was even toward the end~

It is an observation, do you think everything is as it was in boxing 2 or 3 years ago or are things very different or at least on that path if nothing changes. You don't have to agree, I am sharing my take on it you don't like it so what I am not posting for your approval or anyone's for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
        I think that all happened for a reason, although I don't think Showtime had an unreal year they put more in and got more out, but their plan worked out and in boxing that is asking a lot so I see your point. You are also right about HBO they had some good nights no doubt, but the question to ask is where are they really going with it, do they want to show some good fights (nothing wrong with that) or do they want to be the King of Boxing

To me it is all part of a larger trend as opposed to a one off, but maybe you are correct it certainly could go that way.
        There might well be a trend towards Showtime dominance given the Haymon factor, but there's also a difference between a trend and a permanent shift. HBO might spend a few years in the doldrums but everything can change very suddenly. Who would have seen Showtime being in such a strong position a few years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
          There might well be a trend towards Showtime dominance given the Haymon factor, but there's also a difference between a trend and a permanent shift. HBO might spend a few years in the doldrums but everything can change very suddenly. Who would have seen Showtime being in such a strong position a few years ago?
          I never said it was a permanent shift and have said HBO has it within their power to change things if they want that. Someone new could come in to lead the ship and everything could be different if they have the resources t put to work.

Part of the premise of the thread was if things do not change course, but this is boxing things can change very fast with a break here and a break there, honestly HBO has kind of been on the wrong end of several break recently so that trend is bound to come around and aid them to some degree (hell the fighters that could change it totally could already be on HBO right now and no one knows it).

Comment

I think they'll be alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
              I think they'll be alright.
              Of course they will be alright, just like boxing will be alright either way even if it does suck for a while

Comment

1.5 years is the correct answer

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                  1.5 years is the correct answer
                  Not a very clever or witty retort, 1/10

Comment

Hbo is doing fine. They have all these east euro bargains, fan pleasing styles for little money. They trounced showtime both in foty stakes and in viewership last year. And theyre waiting for the gbp fallout. Whether gbp stays intact or not, some of their starlets will have to leave since Showtimes budget cannot support them.

Comment

Boxing is just bonus to their subscribers. With or without boxing, HBO will be just fine.

Worry about Showtime. Despite the huge number of fighters they got, which most of them were built up by HBO, they're still not able to produce fights as fast as HBO does.

Don't know why this thread is even necessary.

Comment

Working...
                      X