Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long is HBO Going to Stay in the Boxing Business?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well thanks for straightening me out. I missed that thread.

So looks like HBO was thinking about abandoning ship, but market trends argue for them to stay on the boat.

Cool.

Comment

Good info...

Comment

I think a ban should be put in place for network battle threads. I mean, these are mostly fanboy trash and gossip queen type of stuff anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by WilkinsOlajuwon View Post
          I think a ban should be put in place for network battle threads. I mean, these are mostly fanboy trash and gossip queen type of stuff anyway.
          You should read the thread at hand before commenting on it~

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
            HBO used to be boss and would squash Showtime if they even thought about interfering in their plans at all, and now HBO could be letting what is one of the best fights they could make slip away.

That is not a good look for them at all, making the King of Boxing look rather frail~

HBO looks to be on the outs with boxing I would say within 4 years they don't show boxing any longer, unless something changes.

That would be terrible and it is not an outcome I want to see because that would be a huge loss of capital for the sport but really look at it, is HBO really in this sport for the long term anymore? I don't see it. HBO's thing used to be building stars 1 round at a time and the biggest stars now all got built on HBO, but who is HBO really building to replace them, there are a couple guys they seem to be trying with and you never know which guy will really make it but the effort just doesn't seem the same (how could it be the same when HBO doesn't have the abilities it once had).
            HBO will be ok. Losing the kovalev v stevenson fight hurt but They work with TR who has signed like 10 olympians like LOmanchenko from the past 2 olympics. Mikey Garcia and Chavez are still young. The PR kid, I forget his name, looks to be a STAR.

All they need to do IMO is fire Herschman, bring back GBP/Haymon fighters, and make sure they lock in the good fights-especially in the lower divisions.

They should use their library as well to do more legendary nights stuff.

Comment

You should read the thread at hand before commenting on it~
              Already did.

Show and HBO have been competing for decades. They each peak and valley. Its nothing new. The only reason its new is because fanboys that defend promoters, fighters and managers have to fight about something. Its a waste of time.

Comment

Already did.

Show and HBO have been competing for decades. They each peak and valley. Its nothing new. The only reason its new is because fanboys that defend promoters, fighters and managers have to fight about something. Its a waste of time.
                Where did I defend that or do anything of the sort?

HBO is ****ing up and given the direction of their station boxing seems to be on the outs, that is just an observation a negative one but certainly not something I am cheering for. HBO has been very important to the sport and noticing changes with them can have a big impact on the sport which is what this forum is still about correct?

So save your blanket statements, they don't belong here~

Comment

Originally posted by JDD1 View Post
                  HBO will be ok. Losing the kovalev v stevenson fight hurt but They work with TR who has signed like 10 olympians like LOmanchenko from the past 2 olympics. Mikey Garcia and Chavez are still young. The PR kid, I forget his name, looks to be a STAR.

All they need to do IMO is fire Herschman, bring back GBP/Haymon fighters, and make sure they lock in the good fights-especially in the lower divisions.

They should use their library as well to do more legendary nights stuff.
                  That would be a good start, and that could certainly bring them back closer to what they were (as long as they were willing to spend) especially if a few breaks go their way.

Still they look to be going in a different direction than boxing, which is odd because live sports is where TV is at so as long as they are involved they could easily change course again.

I would hope you are correct though, HBO has been very good for boxing it would be very strange to not see boxing mixed in after all these years.

Comment

Where did I defend that or do anything of the sort?

HBO is ****ing up and given the direction of their station boxing seems to be on the outs, that is just an observation a negative one but certainly not something I am cheering for. HBO has been very important to the sport and noticing changes with them can have a big impact on the sport which is what this forum is still about correct?

So save your blanket statements, they don't belong here~
                    Do you know what a blanket statement is?

You are saying that based on a few moves--in your view--that a network that has been in the boxing business for almost 40 years and has competed with Showtime for more than half that...is somehow going to be gone soon?

That is ridiculous, unsubstantiated and just sounds like the regular network pillow fight threads that infest this cesspool of a forum.

Comment

Do you know what a blanket statement is?

You are saying that based on a few moves--in your view--that a network that has been in the boxing business for almost 40 years and has competed with Showtime for more than half that...is somehow going to be gone soon?

That is ridiculous, unsubstantiated and just sounds like the regular network pillow fight threads that infest this cesspool of a forum.

A blanket statement would be coming into a thread without reading (we both know you didn't based on what you said) and making claims about how people should be banned for talking about a certain topic you dislike~

It is an observation, you don't have to agree~ in fact I am very happy you don't~

It is really not anything of the sort, from where they are now it is easy to see them walking away (this is all covered in the thread).

It is also not a few moves it is 20 years of watching boxing on both HBO and Showtime, if you can't understand the winds of change are a blowing talking to you is less than pointless because you lack any sort of vision.

Comment

Working...
                      X