Canelo-Angulo PPV buys likely over 300k PPV buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canelo-Angulo PPV buys likely over 300k PPV buys

Steve Kim
    those numbers suggest that Canelo's money was tied into PPV upside( and Im told it did break 300,000 buys)

I would say it's in the 400k range myself. Based on the online trends there's no way it pulled less than Bradley-JMM (375k.) Bradley-JMM had 100k google searches and was second most searched in USA on the day, while Canelo-Angulo had 200k searches and came first.

Espionanza has said on twitter 225k would bank 6 million and still be a success. He also said 1 ppv buy = 6-8 people so if it's 400k buys then max 3.2 million watching.

Originally posted by croz View Post

Steve Kim
    those numbers suggest that Canelo's money was tied into PPV upside( and Im told it did break 300,000 buys)

I would say it's in the 400k range myself. Based on the online trends there's no way it pulled less than Bradley-JMM (375k.) Bradley-JMM had 100k google searches and was second most searched in USA on the day, while Canelo-Angulo had 200k searches and came first.

Espionanza has said on twitter 225k would bank 6 million and still be a success. He also said 1 ppv buy = 6-8 people so if it's 400k buys then max 3.2 million watching.
    Hoepfully it did more than 300k. I woud aso hope it did as much or more than Bradley/JMM.

WHile I'm sure the fight made money, if I am Canelo I woud be somewhat disappointed. Chavez Jr. did almost 500k v Martinez and Caneo seems to be a bigger star. He was a very strong B side that had a significant drop off in his next ppv fight. Thats not great.

Best bet for Canelo is Cotto lose a UD to sergio and then canelo fights him. That or fight Lara next in a non ppv fight.

Comment

Not bad, considering it shouldn't have been PPV to begin with. Delahoya did these types of numbers as a youngster.

Comment

Dunn, that's a great number for Canelo, especially fighting a guy like Angulo. Even with the bs effort on Perro's part, Canelo seemed to reignite his fanbase. Unlike Chavez, who kept going on a downward spiral after his fight with Martinez.

If it surpasses the numbers that the number 2 & 3 WWs did last year then you gotta look at this as a huge win for Canelo, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post

Steve Kim

Reaching a little?

Also is this purely PPVs? No theaters mixed in?

Comment

I'm surprised 2 fighters coming off of losses got that many buys.

Comment

Originally posted by hhs661 View Post
              Dunn, that's a great number for Canelo, especially fighting a guy like Angulo. Even with the bs effort on Perro's part, Canelo seemed to reignite his fanbase. Unlike Chavez, who kept going on a downward spiral after his fight with Martinez.

If it surpasses the numbers that the number 2 & 3 WWs did last year then you gotta look at this as a huge win for Canelo, IMO.
              Yeah, with no good supporting card and a bad B side it would say a lot about Canelo's draw. Now imagine what he can do against say Martinez or Cotto with a strong undercard. If this did 400k then I could see Canelo vs Cotto doing 1 million.

Comment

That's a big drop off for the PPV King Canelo, going from 2.2m down to 300-400k. He's still the King at 2.2m though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hougigo View Post

Reaching a little?

Also is this purely PPVs? No theaters mixed in?
                  No this has been mentioned before by HBO and Showtime who have done studies on it. People tend to get into groups for PPV. Also when a PPV passes 1 million buys it changes into 1 ppv buy = 10 people. If it reaches 1.5 million PPV buys then 1 ppv buys = 12 people. If it passes 2 million PPV buys then 1 ppv = 15 people. Basically the bigger the PPV the more people on average show up to watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by ModernTalking View Post
                    That's a big drop off for the PPV King Canelo, going from 2.2m down to 300-400k. He's still the King at 2.2m though.
                    He's not down to 300k. Steve only said he heard it was above 300k. Only reason he set the mark at 300k is because Canelo gets paid more if the PPV buys are more than 300k. He's basically just pointing out that Canelo will get more money.

And what drop off? Canelo hasn't had a PPV exclusively to himself before. We're not going to pretend those 2.2 million buys were all for Canelo are we?

Comment

Working...
                    X