Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Vasyl Lomachenko truely deserve this Title shot vs Salido ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have liked to have seen him get more pro experience and fight a contender first.

Comment

Originally posted by MindGame View Post
      Vasyl might become a great champion with multiple belts someday... He's got awesome amateur credentials.... But does that justify a World Title shot in only his second "Official" pro fight ??? His window of opportunity should be open for years to come, should he competently make the transition to the pro game... What's the rush ???

I'm not talking about the potential commercial viability that might result from a victory over Orlando Salido.... I'm not talking about his promotion and marketing teams...

I'm asking why does Lomachenko deserve to get to the front of the line, for this Title Shot, before everyone else ??? Can this be remotely justified on a basis of merit ???
      Let me ask you a question. If instead of winning two olympic gold medals, Loma had turned pro at a younger age and fought 20 tomato cans, 5 journeymen and 3 faded fringe contenders, which is how most prospects "earn" their first title shot, who you say he deserves the fight?

Comment

Originally posted by Hougigo View Post
        No, this is the main reason he signed with Bob Arum
        Exactly, I saw a video where he says this. He said he was offered 1 million sign on bonus and he turned them down cause Top Rank Promised him a title shot in his 2nd fight (he wanted it to be on his pro debut) but he took what could get.

Comment

It isn't how the pro game is supposed to work these days, but I'm wondering what 'deserve' has to do with anything. That's the beauty of boxing - two guys get in the ring and fight each other...you end up (hopefully) with a simple binary result.

If Loma 'deserves' it he will win, if he doesn't he will lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Augustane View Post
            Exactly this. I've had enough of the Gary Russell Jr.'s and Wilders's of this world.
            I think its insulting to include wilder with Gary Russell. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Black Barty View Post
              Let me ask you a question. If instead of winning two olympic gold medals, Loma had turned pro at a younger age and fought 20 tomato cans, 5 journeymen and 3 faded fringe contenders, which is how most prospects "earn" their first title shot, who you say he deserves the fight?
              Interesting. ... By that rationale Zou Shiming could take his 2 Olympic Gold medals into a Title shot ??? How do you think that would play out ???

The reason amateur boxers fight several matches before considering ( That they've earned.) a Title shot is simple... They fight 3 round fights and stamina is never a issue for top amateurs.... As a pro, they need to learn how to pace themselves over up to 12 rounds.... They've never encountered a fighter willing to give up early rounds in order to wear down their opponent.... They need to learn how early bodywork pays dividends in later rounds.... If you are a fight fan you should know this.....

Don't be blinded by the novelty of a World Champion in pro fight #2.... Because even if Vasyl wins, he'll have to fight top flight contenders from here on out..... His best chance to succeed as a pro, calls for experience.....
              Besides that, he does not deserve a Title shot yet, he has to prove himself worthy first... That said, he has a good chance to win the title.... Then a good chance to lose it...

Comment

The real important question is, how did the WBO accept this fight? I understand that there's corruption within all sanctioning bodies but this is just overdoing. Some one was bribed big time and they are not even hiding it. Lomachenko specifically wanted a title fight in his 2nd pro fight as part of the deal to sign with TR, and Bob Arum just magically got him exactly that? Some higher up at the WBO was paid handsomely cause I don't see how a debut pro fight can catapult you to a major title shot in your 2nd fight. A non title fight between Loma-Salido would have been praise worthy, but the corruption outweighs the praise in these circumstances.

Still, I will will watch the fight. I'm interested to see if Loma can win, or if Salido will be too much of a rugged veteran. But I shake my head at this regardless.

Comment

Does Vasyl Lomachenko truely deserve this Title shot vs Salido ?

The proof will be in the pudding. If he is good enough to beat Salido or give him a very good fight and put up as good as or better performance than anyone else he deserves a title shot. Boxing should be a meritocracy where the best challenger gets his shot. I think Vasyl Lomachenko beats Salido and if that happens it is going to be difficult to argue that he did not deserve his shot.
                  However despite his great record in the ams he should have been put in a position where he had to prove he was the best contender to get his title shot and he has bypassed that and I don't think that is fair on the other fighters.
                  He is a super high quality fighter that is more than good enough to justify a title shot however the ranking system is in place where fighters EARN the right to go up the rankings and no fighter should be given a free pass otherwise it undermines the credibility of the ranking system.

Comment

Originally posted by MindGame View Post
                    Interesting. ... By that rationale Zou Shiming could take his 2 Olympic Gold medals into a Title shot ??? How do you think that would play out ???

The reason amateur boxers fight several matches before considering ( That they've earned.) a Title shot is simple... They fight 3 round fights and stamina is never a issue for top amateurs.... As a pro, they need to learn how to pace themselves over up to 12 rounds.... They've never encountered a fighter willing to give up early rounds in order to wear down their opponent.... They need to learn how early bodywork pays dividends in later rounds.... If you are a fight fan you should know this.....

Don't be blinded by the novelty of a World Champion in pro fight #2.... Because even if Vasyl wins, he'll have to fight top flight contenders from here on out..... His best chance to succeed as a pro, calls for experience.....
                    Besides that, he does not deserve a Title shot yet, he has to prove himself worthy first... That said, he has a good chance to win the title.... Then a good chance to lose it...
                    Erm... What exactly does that have to do with whether he "deserves" the title shot or not? Is it a sin that he doesn't need 20 crap fights to get used to going 12 rounds?

And let's look at the other side of the equation. If Salido loses to a 1 fight novice, he never "deserved" to be a titlist in the first place.

Btw I'm not blinded by anything. I'm well aware that Salido is hardly the class of the FW division, and it will only get tougher for Loma after he wins that title.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                      The real important question is, how did the WBO accept this fight? I understand that there's corruption within all sanctioning bodies but this is just overdoing. Some one was bribed big time and they are not even hiding it. Lomachenko specifically wanted a title fight in his 2nd pro fight as part of the deal to sign with TR, and Bob Arum just magically got him exactly that? Some higher up at the WBO was paid handsomely cause I don't see how a debut pro fight can catapult you to a major title shot in your 2nd fight. A non title fight between Loma-Salido would have been praise worthy, but the corruption outweighs the praise in these circumstances.

Still, I will will watch the fight. I'm interested to see if Loma can win, or if Salido will be too much of a rugged veteran. But I shake my head at this regardless.
                      Lomachenko won against a WBO ranked opponent, he was then ranked in the top 15, Salido made a voluntary against a top 15 WBO opponent.

Comment

Working...
                      X