No announcement yet.

Just rewatched "The One" card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SeekDaGreat View Post
    A few notes ..I had Matthysse up 4-3 before the eye was shut in Round 8. That changed everything in that fight.

Canelo should have kept doubling up to the body, that was nulifying Mayweathers offense. He kept shying away from that. And he looked terribly gassed after 4 rounds.
    Of course he gassed out..he can hardly make 154 never mind 152.. He probably cuts weight from 180. He looked like a skeleton at the weigh in. Floyd is not stupid, he makes sure he has every advantage going into any fight he thinks is dangerous, or he doesn't take the fight anyway lol.

Comment

No matter what Canelo had done, he would have lost that night. Floyd put on a master display. 2 pounds or not, it wouldn't have made a difference whether he had doubled up. He simply wasn't good enough.

Comment

I think you guys aren't giving enough credit to Garcia and the gameplan. He took the first couple rounds to feel his opponent out and the momentum was subtly turning his way before Matthysse's eye swelled. And the swelling doesn't somehow lessen Garcia's victory, even though a few bitter fans wanna add an asterisk. Matthysse brought it that night, but Garcia was simply more cerebral.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
          Of course he gassed out..he can hardly make 154 never mind 152.. He probably cuts weight from 180. He looked like a skeleton at the weigh in. Floyd is not stupid, he makes sure he has every advantage going into any fight he thinks is dangerous, or he doesn't take the fight anyway lol.
          It was as much an advantage as the Pacquiao-Marquez III catchweight was. None at all.

Comment

At the time of the fight I had it 4-2 Danny after 6 rounds. Think I had it 3-3 upon rewatching. Lucas didn't impress me in the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
              I think you guys aren't giving enough credit to Garcia and the gameplan. He took the first couple rounds to feel his opponent out and the momentum was subtly turning his way before Matthysse's eye swelled. And the swelling doesn't somehow lessen Garcia's victory, even though a few bitter fans wanna add an asterisk. Matthysse brought it that night, but Garcia was simply more cerebral.
              Never understood why Matthysse fans wants to use that as an excuse. Danny should get extra credit for shutting that eye.

Masterful performance to me.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                Never understood why Matthysse fans wants to use that as an excuse. Danny should get extra credit for shutting that eye.

Masterful performance to me.
                It was. A very eye-opening performance by Garcia. He showed a lot of rare traits that often go overlooked. People see a fighter who isn't the most athletically gifted and they tend to underrate him. Garcia can do it all. More importantly, thanks to his boxing brain, he knows when to do it.

Comment

Lucas - Garcia was a close fight. The swollen eye was turning point for sure..i would of liked to of seen a rematch.

Comment

Matthysse's two best rounds came before Garcia shut his eye, though. It doesn't take away from the win at all, it's boxing, eyes shut all the time, but Matthysse was taking control when it happened.

It was a good, close fight. People were disappointed the next day in the actual fight, but I wasn't. Both guys fought really well.

Comment

It was as much an advantage as the Pacquiao-Marquez III catchweight was. None at all.
                      I'm not saying he would have beat Floyd anyways. More that Canelo should probably be fighting at 160 but he's not good enough to do it... size doesn't matter when the skill level is so one sided.

Comment

Working...
                      X