The Official Miguel Cotto-Sergio Martinez Master Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cott is gonna get kayoed.

Comment

Fight is set for June 7th on HBO PPV at MSG. Martinez's final days as MW champ are confirmed.

Comment

I'm shocked to see how close the poll is, I think the ESPN poll is 52-48 for Cotto... lol.

Comment

Originally posted by BafanaBafana View Post
          I'm shocked to see how close the poll is, I think the ESPN poll is 52-48 for Cotto... lol.

Many people voting with their hearts.
          Didn't Espn conduct a poll where Mayweather was voted as the 3rd greatest fighter of all time? I wouldn't put too much stock into their polls.

Comment

Martinez has started training, this the first footage I could find.

Comment

Martinez is 39-years-old today, and by the time of the fight he will have been inactive for 14-months. From what I have seen of Martinez, his style relies on athleticism. I dislike his style but he's good at what he does. And he has power - refer to his rematch with Paul Williams. However, with a spate of recurring injuries to his knee and left power hand, he hasn't looked as good in his recent fights. You could argue he lost his last fight against Murray. And his penultimate fight with Macklin, in large parts, was fairly competitive. Note, Macklin is a European level fighter.

Now Miguel Cotto isn't even a fully-fledged 154lb-er. You have to question Cotto's management team because this fight should have been at a catch-weight of 157lbs - to meet in the middle. Roach, in fact, said Cotto could still make 147lbs! And against Martinez, he will come in at 155lbs.

Anyway, looking at Cotto's performances against southpaws in Pacquiao and Trout, this doesn't look like the best stylistic match-up for him. But I think the difference here is that Cotto has solid fundamentals. He has a tremendous jab and that left-hook is the 'greatest' Steward said he had ever seen. Martinez, on the other hand, is disabled without his fancy Dan moving and pot-shotting.

With some Roach rejuvenation, Cotto might just surprise everyone and seal his legacy as 1 of the modern era's true greats.

Comment

I'm rooting for Cotto voted him winning by tko/ko but I can't help feeling like Sergio will pull this off unfortunately. BTW does anyone know typically how far in advance tickets go on sale before a fight? I'm trying to workout everything to go see this in NYC

Comment

Very difficult fight to call.

Martinez is the bigger, stronger man. If his injuries are healed he will win for sure. But I am not sure thatīs the case, and he is almost 40 years old... so I think itīs a 50/50 fight for me at the moment.

I only hope both of them are in top condition and bring us a good spectacle.

Comment

Why is everyone acting like Sergio is a full-fledged middleweight? He's barely a MW. He comes in at 159 for all his fights. That said he is a tremendous talent with an exciting style. If this fight happens in a vacuum I pick Sergio to win easily. But it's not; he's pushing 40, he's been inactive for over a year, he's coming off of knee surgery and hand issues. This isn't lock stock and barrel. This isn't JCC Jr who connects at a 20% clip. Sergio's going to get hit a lot, and judging from Cotto's last fight he's going to get tagged in his solar plexus, kidneys, and liver. Sergio shouldn't trade, he needs to fight like Trout and move-move-move. We'll find out within 3 rounds if the Delvin fight was style or substance. If Cotto is truly back to his body punching form or if Delvin was just that weak.

We'll see. It's 50:50 as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

War Cotto!

Comment

Working...
                      X