No announcement yet.

George Groves turns down Carl Froch rematch chance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Groves turns down Carl Froch rematch chance

George Groves has turned down a "seven figure offer" for a rematch with domestic rival and WBA and IBF super-middleweight champion Carl Froch.

Froch won their first encounter with a controversial stoppage in November.

He said: "We made a seven figure offer for a second fight that would have seen him earn around double that of the first. Disappointingly, George rejected this offer."

Froch will now aim to arrange a fight with Mexico's Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr.

The Nottingham fighter added: "I understand the demand for the Groves fight in the UK, but also the demand in the US for the Chavez fight.

"Talks are ongoing and no doubt some further news will break soon. I'm happy to fight anyone, as I have done throughout my entire career."

More to follow.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/25883588

Well, would love to hear the reason why

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
      Well, would love to hear the reason why
      Money....it's in the article.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
        Yes.

They will fight... After they agree on the split.

Comment

I call bullshit, Groves has resorted to going to the IBF to appeal to them to force a rematch between him and Froch.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
            All it says is he turned down a seven figure offer

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
              I call bullshit, Groves has resorted to going to the IBF to appeal to them to force a rematch between him and Froch.
              I think it sounds a bit funny as well.

Why would anyone go through that much trouble, only to reject such a good payday?

Comment

George Groves getting greedy I think.

A £ million plus payday for a title shot ain't bad going IMO - though obviously he thinks he can hold out for a better deal. He might just get bitten on the ass if he thinks he's calling the shots though.

Comment

I am closely involved in the negotiating of this potential rematch, and i can categorically tell you all that the fight was not turned down due to money. All will be revealed in the coming days.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
                    I call bull**** on the appeal. Do you really think Groves believes he will win that appeal considering the amount of worse stoppages that have happened this year alone in Britain? His stoppage over Anderson was worse! Robert Smith of the BBBofC already condoned the stoppage after the fight.

Groves has learnt how to work the media and the public from the best fraudsters in the business remember?

Comment

Working...
                    X