No announcement yet.

George Groves turns down Carl Froch rematch chance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
    Eh, you're looking into it too much. I doubt Groves is wanting to look that desperate. If a 7-figure contract was offered, I cannot see how Groves would turn it down. He knows damn well that it's him who has to chase Froch, not the other way around. So after weeks and weeks of calling him out, he's given an opportunity with a nice reward and suddenly rejects it?
    As if this has never happened before. Tim Bradley called out Amir Khan and told him to stop running on live HBO then rejected his highest ever purse to face him.

Of course he wants to look desperate because then he can sell his sob story to the public that he did everything in his power to secure the fight and that Froch was scared. When in reality, he is probably just as much to blame.

Hearn has been saying in interviews for weeks that Groves' demands are "unrealistic" and that he hoped he could negotiate further until it made sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
      George Groves getting greedy I think.

A £ million plus payday for a title shot ain't bad going IMO - though obviously he thinks he can hold out for a better deal. He might just get bitten on the ass if he thinks he's calling the shots though.
      It all depends on the percentages.
      A seven figure payday sounds great on paper, but if Carl is receiving £5M to George's £1M, then it's not really fair is it?

To anyone saying that Carl is the titleholder and call's the shots, then I call bs on this. Hearn has been talking about staging this at Wembley to 80,000 people. This would be a massive event and an event that only exists because of George Groves showing in the first fight, despite the result, everyone see's him as the moral victor.
      IMO he deserves no less than 35%, I'd be looking for 40% of the purse.

But you're right, if that's the final offer and he chooses to decline it, then that's on him...

Comment

I know that fanboys of one side or the other will be biased and blindly accept one version if it goes along with what they want to think etc ...

but this sounds dodgy to me. On one hand you have one guy, groves, calling for a rematch appealing to the sanctioning body to try to force froch to come to the table and discuss a rematch etc ... and on the hand you have the other guy, froch, OPENLY saying he's not interested in a rematch (even froch's promoter said as much) for week after week

and then suddenly you have one guy perhaps FINALLY getting a whiff of public sentiment coming out with 'oh yeah despite me saying no rematch and we're not interested for week after week all this time I was actually secretly making fantastic offers which the guy demanding the rematch then proceeded to turn down ... now let me go have a nice easy payday against Chavez jnr'

I'm not saying the article is definitely BS but with no proof other than one guy saying so it's fishy and CONVENIENT.

Still, Froch v Chavez ... yeah i don't mind it too much but the 'we made him a great offer and tried to make the rematch' stuff feels a bit like a damage control statement more than a factual one. if it was anybody but froch who has fought a lot of top guys and never ducked anyone before this would be blatant BS ... as it is it's just ... FISHY

Comment

I remember Eddie Hearn said the Groves rematch would make Froch ₤5 million. If that's true (big if. I'm kind of skeptical), I would also think a 15/85 split is kind of low for what he brings to the table.
          Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 01-24-2014, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wesker115 View Post
            It all depends on the percentages.
            A seven figure payday sounds great on paper, but if Carl is receiving £5M to George's £1M, then it's not really fair is it?

To anyone saying that Carl is the titleholder and call's the shots, then I call bs on this. Hearn has been talking about staging this at Wembley to 80,000 people. This would be a massive event and an event that only exists because of George Groves showing in the first fight, despite the result, everyone see's him as the moral victor.
            IMO he deserves no less than 35%, I'd be looking for 40% of the purse.

But you're right, if that's the final offer and he chooses to decline it, then that's on him...
            So Froch has nothing to do with the event being huge? Froch could sell out a football stadium against a number of opponents. Could Groves? No....he'd struggle to sell out the 02 on his own.

Comment

If Groves can get a rematch that is the victory. He shouldn't be too greedy. 1000,000 seems fair.

Comment

You Groves fans can't have it both ways! You wanted the rematch and acted like Groves would do anything to prove himself but the truth is that he turned it down so now who's ducking who?
                Carl calls the shots over a rematch against Groves because he put himself in a position to do so through all the top level fights he's had so far in his career and there's nothing any of you lot can do about it.
                Its funny how carried away everyone is getting....I mean Groves landed his hardest shots on Froch but couldn't finish him off and now hes acting like he wasn't even hurt in the ninth or that he wasn't fading with three rounds to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Box Up! View Post
                  I am closely involved in the negotiating of this potential rematch, and i can categorically tell you all that the fight was not turned down due to money. All will be revealed in the coming days.
                  Cough *bull***** Cough

Comment

This is clearly all bollocks, with Carl Froch wanting to keep ahold of his "warrior" image. All whilst ducking Groves for Chavez. If this fight happens, its because of public demand, not because Froch wants it.

Comment

At least wait for the Groves camp to respond. Froch makes a statement and people are taking it for gospel. What's Eddie Hearn said about it?

Comment

Working...
                      X