No announcement yet.

Sillakh said he had to fight as a kid because he was called n****r

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
    So Ismayl was offended for no reason. Seems legit.

They were offended by older terms like negro or colored. You should look it up before saying stupid ****.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American

Black people offended by the word black, lmao!
    Black persons (and/or "half breeds") are not welcomed in the "former Soviet block" countries... Those countries are highly xenophobic, etc...

(Meanwhile, given that Stevenson and Hopkins are African American, Kovalev appears to realize that the present controversy is not likely to go away anytime soon, even though his manager hopes that it does.)

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
      I'm not saying Kovalev hates all black people, I don't even know what goes through his head. But this is for all the dumbasses who said "the word doesn't mean the same thing in eastern europe, it's normal over there". Then why the **** did Ismayl get offended?
      Calling people of African descent "colored" was considered racist when I was a kid, where I grew up. Now "person of color" seems to be the more politically correct term. Different places use different words to describe things. I think in this situation intention is the most important detail. There are, absolutely, places in the world where people will describe people of African descent as "negros" and there is no harm meant whatsoever. That said there are probably plenty of people that will use the word in a pejorative manor. I know plenty of people that are afraid of saying "black people" because they are worried it will somehow be misinterpreted.

Comment

Originally posted by KJB View Post
        Calling people of African descent "colored" was considered racist when I was a kid, where I grew up. Now "person of color" seems to be the more politically correct term. Different places use different words to describe things. I think in this situation intention is the most important detail. There are, absolutely, places in the world where people will describe people of African descent as "negros" and there is no harm meant whatsoever. That said there are probably plenty of people that will use the word in a pejorative manor. I know plenty of people that are afraid of saying "black people" because they are worried it will somehow be misinterpreted.
        I would rather be called a black person, black american, african american.......than a "person of color"

Comment

I could tell Kovalev was racist by the way he hugs his black trainer after fights. (this is sarcasm before anyone takes it seriously)
          Last edited by Weebler I; 01-05-2014, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
            Lol seriously? Yes they do. They phrase African American was created to replace black because people were offended, even tho most blacks in the US have no relationship with africa

black is generally the word used to describe blacks in academia. it's what's used in the census. sometimes you'll see "black or african american," but for the most part the census publishes information and makes their inquiries using the word "black." the term "african americans," is generally frowned upon in academia, because as you surely know, many blacks are not from africa, and don't have african lineage.

it would be up to the respondent to become offended by its use. if somebody is getting offended by being called "black," they've probably got their own issues.

Comment

i've seen so much different stuff coming out concerning kovalev's alleged racist rhetoric.

something is obviously being lost in translation. i cannot tell what he means / how he thinks.

Comment

I've been reading all the stuff about Kovalev and what people are from there are saying but I still don't feel qualified enough to assume I know what's going on. I don't know any of the posters here well enough to take anybody at their word on anything either. I remember the segment on HBO you're talking about though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
                  To be honest it looks like this has been blown out of proportions, I alway try to keep out of threads about race but this one is getting out of hand.
                  I have to agree with this. Why is this still being talked about? NSB can do absolutely nothing about it, so all that's going to happen is 50page race discussion threads.

Comment

I hold a Russian visa for work and travel there regularly. They are a particularly xenophobic breed. Some areas are worse than others but I would not like to be a black person living anywhere in Russia as I have seen first hand the level of exclusion and marginalization they experience.

Comment

You only have to look at how black football payers are treated in Russia to see how bad the problem is there

Comment

Working...
                      X