No announcement yet.

BWAA FOY candidates: Floyd, Kovalev, Bradley, GGG, Danny Garcia

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WilkinsOlajuwon View Post
    My post is indifferent to what NSB values. If anything it supports the point these forums dontknow how to gauge fighters and put too much creedence to guys they simply like.

Hard to say exactly why Floyd won in 2007--its probably not just one thing--but ODH and Hatton were top opponents and FLoyd took over as the #1 draw in the sport.

You'd have to go back to 2005 when Hatton won it where you had a fighter that only had 1 signature win. I cant remember the other guy he beat but he got in because of the Tszyu win and a more shallow pool of candidates.
    When the recognized top fighter in the sport wins 22 or 23 out of 24 rounds, wins a lineal title aove his weight class, and sells 3 mil ppv's-that usually a resume the voters go with. I agree with you and Bojangles that it shouldn't overshadow the year's other fighters had.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
      Stevenson is the lineal champ at 175 so Kovalev needs to beat him. He's just a title holder right now.

But I agree that they should at least be neck and neck if not giving the slight edge to Kovalev.
      True, but I hated when Max was saying most people think Kovalev is the best 175lbr ahead of adonis. That simply isn't true and is HBO hype machine at work again.

Most think its adonis or Bhop.

Comment

Stevenson is the lineal champ at 175 so Kovalev needs to beat him. He's just a title holder right now.

But I agree that they should at least be neck and neck if not giving the slight edge to Kovalev.
        Yeah that is THE fight north of 160, at the moment... They must fight next, IMO.

But I was just saying Kovalev should be on that list as well because he won a title, unless that was a list of lineal titles won? Which I didn't think it was

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
          True, but I hated when Max was saying most people think Kovalev is the best 175lbr ahead of adonis. That simply isn't true and is HBO hype machine at work again.

HBO's job is to sell fights to the public and build up fighters. I wouldn't really feed into too much of what they say.

A few months ago Lampley is criticizing Rigo's style but now that they want the Rigo/Lomachenko fight he's going to put him on his p4p list. They say and do whatever fits their agenda.

Comment

I slightly disagree.

To be fair to Max, I think a lot of people view Kovalev as the best at 175..... At the very least the most dangerous. Most people who think hop is the best right now don't know that he could of fought Kovalev and his people turned it down. And most people who think Adonis-Kovalev are the best think that they shouldn't even fight Hopkins

I won't say HBO hype machine is at work again lol.... It's not THAT crazy of a statement... Kovalev is top 3, at the least, without a doubt. And if Adonis is ahead (not for lineal title purposes) it can't be by THAT much, lol . IMO at least

Comment

When I feel I'm biased, I prefer to shut up.

Comment

Bradley has a FOTY candidate under his belt and a win over Marquez, definitely wouldn't mind if he got it. I thought I would've given Garcia more credit cuz he beat Matts, but the Zab fight was just alright.

Comment

HBO's job is to sell fights to the public and build up fighters. I wouldn't really feed into too much of what they say.

A few months ago Lampley is criticizing Rigo's style but now that they want the Rigo/Lomachenko fight he's going to put him on his p4p list. They say and do whatever fits their agenda.
                  True, no question.

Originally posted by King- View Post
                  I slightly disagree.

To be fair to Max, I think a lot of people view Kovalev as the best at 175..... At the very least the most dangerous. Most people who think hop is the best right now don't know that he could of fought Kovalev and his people turned it down. And most people who think Adonis-Kovalev are the best think that they shouldn't even fight Hopkins

I won't say HBO hype machine is at work again lol.... It's not THAT crazy of a statement... Kovalev is top 3, at the least, without a doubt. And if Adonis is ahead (not for lineal title purposes) it can't be by THAT much, lol . IMO at least
                  dangerous and best are 2 different things. Kovalev is a very tough dude. But he hasn't shown to be better than either. If he and Stevenson get it on-he may prove he is.

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                  When I feel I'm biased, I prefer to shut up.
                  OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                    Curtis Stevens was #9 iirc. Scott wasn't top 10.

I'm agreeing tho, Golovkin doesn't belong on this list imo. It makes the BWAA look a bit amateur when they include him and leave out Stevenson (and Rigo really).
                    He was 10th and still rated 10th... don't think he should though.
                    Even though Dan is on some kind of personal vendetta against GGG, I agree that he shouldn't be on there. Kovalev.... ehhhhh, i'm hit or miss with him being on the list

Comment

I'm glad Provodnikov was added to the list, but I'm still saddened that I'm alone in my campaign to make Provodnikov Fighter of the Year. The L on Provodnikov record is irrelevant. Had Provodnikov gotten the nod on the Bradley fight (which could have gone either way), Provodnikov would have had the best win this year. And he did it a Fight of the Year candidate. Then he became a champion in his next fight in another amazing outing. That's real fighter of the year stuff. A few years from now, I'm more likely to remember what Provodnikov did more than what any of the other candidates did.

Comment

Working...
                      X