No announcement yet.

BWAA FOY candidates: Floyd, Kovalev, Bradley, GGG, Danny Garcia

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WilkinsOlajuwon View Post
    Floyd nor Rigo nor Bradley beat 2 elite/top fighters this year. Look at the recent winners of the award that won only 2 fights. (Ward, Sergio, Pac, Floyd) All of them beat 2 top guys...not a Providnikov, not a Agbeko, not a Guerrero
    I agree but what NSB defines as top fighters is often different from what the outside world does.

Floyd beat ODH/Hatton and won on the strength of the huge number of sales-not the quality fo the fight. Could be same thing here even though I would vote for stevenson or danny garcia, then kovalev, rigo and tim.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
      I agree but what NSB defines as top fighters is often different from what the outside world does.

Floyd beat ODH/Hatton and won on the strength of the huge number of sales-not the quality fo the fight. Could be same thing here even though I would vote for stevenson or danny garcia, then kovalev, rigo and tim.
      NSB hype aside- Is Matthyssee considered a top fighter?

Just wondering what other people think, because my opinion seems to be different then NSBs consensus.

Comment

Originally posted by King- View Post
        I don't think he's fighter of the year either. And the only guy who wanted to fight but they didn't approve is Mora (who's on Stevens level, no?)

There's some guys more deserving then him for FOTY, as I mentioned in my OP : but FOTY discussion aside..... HBO NEEDS to hype him as much as possible, so long as he stays willing to fight anybody they can put in front of him
        i'm good with that.

All I know is IF Floyd wins it would be an absolute travesty and this award would be a complete joke and should never be take serious again.

I have absolutely no idea how anybody could have him as FOTY... For BOXING reasons (because that Is what it should be about?)
        Maybe because he shut out two world class fighters in brilliant performances and sold over 3 mil ppv's?

I wouldn't vote for him but there is a reason he is nominated.

Comment

All I know is IF Floyd wins it would be an absolute travesty and this award would be a complete joke and should never be take serious again.

I have absolutely no idea how anybody could have him as FOTY... For BOXING reasons (because that Is what it should be about?)
          It wouldn't be fair to the years Rigondeaux and Bradley had. Not saying Floyd shouldn't be in the discussion, but come on.

He'll win it though, because the Alvarez fight was such an event and he actually fought twice.

Comment

Floyd was one of a few fighters to win the legitimate world championship in his division this year:

Rigo at 122
            Stevenson at 175
            Floyd at 154
            Garcia at 140
            Yaegashi at 112

Like it or not he belongs. Really all 5 of those fighters have cases.

Comment

i'm good with that.

Maybe because he shut out two world class fighters in brilliant performances and sold over 3 mil ppv's?

I wouldn't vote for him but there is a reason he is nominated.
              Well that's what I'm saying, of course he sold over 3 million PPVs... He's mr PPV, that always happens. He can fight butter bean and someone just comes iWork a clever title for the fight and it will make millions...... But that should not affect FOTY status/be a reason to win FOTY- otherwise he should just win every year

World class? Meh. I'm in the minority here, but I don't rate Canelo highly at all. The only "world class" opponent he fought was Trout, and then he fought Floyd straight after that. I've voiced this opinion here often, but I view Canelo as a legit hype job (and NOT because he lost to Floyd)

And Guerrero won almost all of his titles in interim fights, I believe. World class? Sure..... Elite? Hell no, not IMO, at least.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of this.... I just don't think it's reason for Floyd to win FOTY, personally

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
                Floyd was one of a few fighters to win the legitimate world championship in his division this year:

Rigo at 122
                Stevenson at 175
                Floyd at 154
                Garcia at 140
                Yaegashi at 112

Like it or not he belongs. Really all 5 of those fighters have cases.
                Kovalev won one at 175 and he's on that list as well. People are forgetting about Krusher

Kovalev/Adonis had equal years IMO and I would be okay with one of them winning, Adonis probably should get the nod first just because on paper, Dawson was the lineal champ. Even though Campillo should of been unified champ when he fought kov

Comment

My post is indifferent to what NSB values. If anything it supports the point these forums dontknow how to gauge fighters and put too much creedence to guys they simply like.

Hard to say exactly why Floyd won in 2007--its probably not just one thing--but ODH and Hatton were top opponents and FLoyd took over as the #1 draw in the sport.

You'd have to go back to 2005 when Hatton won it where you had a fighter that only had 1 signature win. I cant remember the other guy he beat but he got in because of the Tszyu win and a more shallow pool of candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                    It wouldn't be fair to the years Rigondeaux and Bradley had. Not saying Floyd shouldn't be in the discussion, but come on.

He'll win it though, because the Alvarez fight was such an event and he actually fought twice.
                    I agree. It just wouldn't be fair at all.... That said I bet he probably wins due to the fact Canelo fight was event of the year and made so much money. Personally I think that should have no relevance when discussing FOTY qualification but to each their own

Comment

Kovalev won one at 175 and he's on that list as well. People are forgetting about Krusher

Kovalev/Adonis had equal years IMO and I would be okay with one of them winning, Adonis probably should get the nod first just because on paper, Dawson was the lineal champ. Even though Campillo should of been unified champ when he fought kov
                      Stevenson is the lineal champ at 175 so Kovalev needs to beat him. He's just a title holder right now.

But I agree that they should at least be neck and neck if not giving the slight edge to Kovalev.

Comment

Working...
                      X