Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

breaking down this heavyweight era and others: Why today stinks!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Make of this what you will, but the facts speak for themselves.
    This era stinks so bad you dont even need to include Ali in your argument.

Comment

With all do respect my friend, I simply don't buy this train of thought. If we go by this Ali should have never fought Ron Lyle or Joe Frazier in 1975 because they had lost to other top contenders. This whole boxing tag team thing is a bit ridiculous. If we go by this reasoning it's ok Wlad never rematched Sanders or Vits never rematched Byrd because the other brother beat them.
      ali didn't have to fight norton or frazier 3 times. he could have said my brother george already beat you guys sorry! now watch me fight some guy named pinata!

Comment

Originally posted by ShamrockXpress View Post
        I agree with you about the era being weak. People are just content to beat up on cans and wait for a payday. It's hampering the development of these fighters. I renember being quietly optimistic about Denis Boytsov early in his career, I envisioned a chagaev/ibragimov but with more pop. But he spent too much time fighting D level fighters that when he finally stepped up to a D+/C- fighter he lost.

Who do you want to see Wlad fight? The Mormeck/Pianeta/Wach fights were hard to defend as is the Leapai fight, but he doesn't really avoid top contenders (ibragimov, chagaev, Haye, povetkin). If he keeps up his activity fighting 3/4 times a year, the contenders (Pulev, Stiverne, Arreola, Fury, Jennings, Wilder?) should be doing the same and trying to force the fight.

These are the guys I think he should fight. Unfortunately ABC orgs keep getting in the way.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
          ali didn't have to fight norton or frazier 3 times. he could have said my brother george already beat you guys sorry! now watch me fight some guy named pinata!
          That's my point. A loss never ruined a fighters credibility in this sport if he was still among the best. That is up till the Klitschko era. Maybe they're just money grubbing and know a gullible public will buy into an undefeated fighter even if he's only ever fought stiffs. Or maybe as you pointed out They're cherry picking based on styles.

Comment

These are the guys I think he should fight. Unfortunately ABC orgs keep getting in the way.
            I agree these are the guys he needs to be fighting, but they should be more active forcing the fight, even if it is for trinkets like Leapai just won. Instead they sit around waiting for a pay day. Arreola and Stiverne showed hunger fighting each other, now we just need Vitali to fight Bermane or retire.

I thought Helenius would be a throwback after fighting Brewster, liakovich and peter so early in his career, but I think he's lost his confidence since Chisora spanked him. Now he's scared of losing like the rest of them and is just waiting for a payday.

Comment

Originally posted by Jloro View Post
              This era in a nutshell lol
              This is ridiculous! Bowe or Tyson or any other heavyweight contender and champion would crack Wlad to next year had he tried doing that to them. Ridiculous to think Povetkin is considered one of the best heavyweights today in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostBlade View Post
                This is ridiculous! Bowe or Tyson or any other heavyweight contender and champion would crack Wlad to next year had he tried doing that to them. Ridiculous to think Povetkin is considered one of the best heavyweights today in boxing.
                Razor Ruddock loved uppercuts. He'd nail Wlad as he tries to lean in.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                  yes we do. wlad fought all the boxer types like haye, chambers, and thompson while vitali fought all the aggressive types like arreola, chisora, and peter rematch.even floyd is like damn that's some good cherry picking boys!
                  well,,,haye is probably regardest as the biggest puncher of that group so im not sure there's a conspiracy there. not to mention wlad fought a younger in shape peter who was considered a huge puncher at that time

Comment

With all do respect my friend, I simply don't buy this train of thought. If we go by this Ali should have never fought Ron Lyle or Joe Frazier in 1975 because they had lost to other top contenders. This whole boxing tag team thing is a bit ridiculous. If we go by this reasoning it's ok Wlad never rematched Sanders or Vits never rematched Byrd because the other brother beat them.

i don't think you're getting what i am saying, going on the bold. one brother does not get credit for the wins of the other. we still ahve to recognize that their brotherhood will effect their matchmaking.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                      i don't think you're getting what i am saying, going on the bold. one brother does not get credit for the wins of the other. we still ahve to recognize that their brotherhood will effect their matchmaking.
                      As I said my friend I just don't buy that. You're a very astute fan of the sport, you know there are hundreds of examples in every weight class such as I pointed out. There is NO REASON Vits couldn't have fought many of Wlads opponents as he really is nothing more than a contender. The only thing their brotherhood effects as a constant is them fighting each other.

Comment

Working...
                      X