Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will "boring styles" eventually kill boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will "boring styles" eventually kill boxing?

Less and less kids these days are growing up on boxing, with the more violent ufc getting more and more attention.

Obviously right now boxing does good based on the fact that most of us grew up with it in the 80's and 90's, but what comes after us? The next generation don't seem to care.

Boxing is evolving, and it's becoming more and more popular for boxers who have a style of winning without having a fight. This style is becoming more effective.

The old school brawlers and sluggers are not as effective, the violence and entertainment is getting rarer.

Casuals want to see blood and guts, two guys trading, brutal ko's, and it's the casuals who buy PPV, while hardcore fans watch on streams most of the time

You look at the guys on top, and coming through and they are the opposite of that

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
    Less and less kids these days are growing up on boxing, with the more violent ufc getting more and more attention.

Obviously right now boxing does good based on the fact that most of us grew up with it in the 80's and 90's, but what comes after us? The next generation don't seem to care.

Boxing is evolving, and it's becoming more and more popular for boxers who have a style of winning without having a fight. This style is becoming more effective.

The old school brawlers and sluggers are not as effective, the violence and entertainment is getting rarer.

Casuals want to see blood and guts, two guys trading, brutal ko's, and it's the casuals who buy PPV, while hardcore fans watch on streams most of the time

You look at the guys on top, and coming through and they are the opposite of that
    Maybe I don't know. Either that, or people just won't warm up to defensive fighters. Take Rigo, Ward and Alexander for example. There'll always be a Pacquiao or a Provodnikov somewhere. Mayweather has the luxury of being labelled as the best in the sport, and thus will draw crowds (people want to see the best), and has his controversial personality. His style is irrelevant.

To me, boxing really only entered the true mainstream when ideas of perseverance, will and glory were there. A feel good, inspirational story. There's nothing that inspirational about defensive fighting, and thus it's staying at the back of the sport in the public's eyes.

I'm babbling a bit but I don't feel I have an answer

Comment

Well the heavyweight division is dead due to size advantages and cowardly champions scared to entertain and actually get guys that are leagues below them outta there early and that was the best division for casual fans back in the day so that alone has made a huge dent in appreciation from casuals.

The only thing keeping casuals watching is because boxing was lucky enough to have all out offensive welterweights like Manny Pacquiao and the supremely skilled Mayweather who is a pleasure to watch for even casuals for his sheer domination of "Elite" fighters without clinching lulz

Also we have Miguel Cotto who is very dramatic and passionate inside and our of the ring and lots of people can relate to that.

If more and more boxers were like Ward and Wlad I don't think I'd even watch boxing myself let alone casual boxing fans

But yeah these boring styles are ruining boxing, a fight like last nights fight would put many casuals off boxing for a long time

These guys are still getting paid for stinking up the joint, I personally think the boxing commission should be strict with dirty fighters based on their last dirty and unsportsmanlike conduct like say Wlad for example and give Wladimir a warning that he will be stripped of his titles if he gets disqualified by a strict ref that is aware of his previous fouls he has Gotton away with

Comment

You brought up a good point, what happens after us...?

Unless people start getting their kids into it then boxing might just disappear.

My two year old prefers football over boxing. She probably dunno the difference but she definitely watches football more than boxing. Lol

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Boxing will be around long after you've snuffed it explorer.Rest assured.
          Not everyone can or should be a face first fighter.Styles make fights and
          when the money is right,the matchmakers will bite.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post

I can see how you're coming to your conclusion, loads of my mates who don't watch boxing and only tune in for the big fights love UFC or other MMA events simply because it's more brutal, there's blood, lumps, broken bones, it is vicious to say the least.

Most people of a younger age who watch boxing grew up with the sport in the 80s and 90s without the distraction of UFC/MMA, that has changed now and although Floyd/Canelo did huge business and anytime Manny fights it's big business and the Klitschkos are HUGE in Europe, these are boxers being backed by either public personas or nationality. Manny's probably the only one casuals love to watch for in ring excitement.

So yes, boxing in terms of a global attraction may die off as more and more awkward fighters with scrappy combinations and hugging as a form of defence make their way into the game. Floyd and Rigo are actually pretty smooth but I'm more worried about guys coming in from America who fight in the Hopkins/Ward way, spoil the other fighters work and every now and then let your own shots go. As a novelty these guys are good to watch but when they start making up the majority of the show, it's a problem.

Floyd and Manny have about 2 or 3 years left max. After that, I just can't imagine the likes of Ward and other young Americans being PPV stars unless some of them manages to get a fight with Floyd/Manny to boost their name.

We need more fights like Prov/Bradley or Prov/Alvarado or Rios/Alvarado or Froch/Kessler 1 and 2, these are fights that attract audiences who don't even know the fighters to start off with.

Comment

The only problem is when you get a guy who fights a certain way and is super-efficient at the top his division like Ward. I find it difficult to find an entertaining style match up for him and I'd imagine when/if he does lose it will most likely be to a guy who has a similar skill set to him - so it is a bit of an issue I suppose when the biggest and most important fights are likely to be dull.

Comment

Got to disagree - just look at your avatar and my sig for an example.

Comment

All hope in Gennady Golovkin

Comment

nothing will even kill boxing. there's no such thing of boring styles. thats just jealousy and hate. boxing is a all around skilled sport. some fighters have it and some don't. the majority of the black fighter ' who are faster with their feet and hands are more skilled . and thats when the racist hate comes in. i'm a proud mexican but i'm not one to bring culture in anything. it does'nt matter what race you are. i'm looking at it as boxing. its mighty funny how the black fighters get all this racist hate and jealousy.yet they are the one that are champions with bigger purses.

Comment

Working...
                    X