No announcement yet.

Martin Murray World Title fight done deal for for Feb 2014

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 285Kid View Post

Murray is the current WBA interim middleweight champion (How he still champion after turning down a fight with the champion I don't know)

WBC Interim title is vacated tho
    Murray isn't the mandatory until the WBA orders it, which they barely did a few days ago. And his next fight against Garth Wood is specifically to keep the interim title. WBA ordered the winners of the two fights to fight each other.

February/March seems to soon for Barker to come back and Hearn has been talking about a Geale rematch for Barker next. Who knows though. Apparently Barker, Macklin Murray, and Lee all filmed something called The Gloves Are Off today. Maybe he'll announce something there when that comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
      Yea, Martinez is out....could be for the WBC interim belt or full and Sergio is made emeritus.
      WBO is a maybe
      Sturm/Barker fight too close and no guarantee on the winner since if Sturm wins, Barker has an automatic rematch.
      Golovkinis a maybe, could be why they're waiting
      Pretty sure Geale has an option on the winner of Barker-Sturm too so it's not him.

Comment

It's probably GGG getting promoted to super champ for defending 10 times (or close enough), and Murray fighting for the regular WBA belt

Comment

I'm sure he's fighting for an interim belt unless GGG KOs Stevens in 3 or less.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
            I guess that's Darren Barker. I wish it was GG but it would be too soon after his fight with Stevens.
            No, it WON'T be Darren Barker, Barker is fighting Sturm December 7th and it would be to early for him to take a tough fight against Murray. Martinez is injured. Quillin is fighting Jacobs February 1st and Hatton seems to have hinted that the title fight will not be in the U.S.

By process of elimination I figure Golovkin may be traveling to the U.K. (or somewhere outside the U.S.) to fight Murray or Murray will be fighting for a 168 titlebelt.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
              Murray already has the Interim WBA miiddleweight title; he is Golovkin's mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                It's probably GGG getting promoted to super champ for defending 10 times (or close enough), and Murray fighting for the regular WBA belt
                That makes the most sense. Listening to the press conference, it sounds like the US aren't particularly keen on giving him a Visa. The way Hatton's talking, he needs to be world champ before he gets in.

Comment

Okay, I listened a bit more of it. Hatton also said, "There's lots of great opportunities out there like Golovkin, there's Sergio Martinez, there's Darren Barker for the IBF championship. If we can get the world title shot for Martin in the beginning of the next year, then we can go revisit the Darren Barker match, which I think would be a fantastic fight for British boxing."

So it's not Darren Barker next.

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
                  He already has the WBA interim belt.

Comment

Originally posted by BafanaBafana View Post
                    Murray already has the Interim WBA miiddleweight title; he is Golovkin's mandatory.
                    So it appears... so lets have GGG KTFO Stevens(which he will) then fight Murray!

Murray vs Stevens would be fun to watch.. real men fighting! Besides, to me, Murray already beat Martinez.

They could fight in March/April.

If they're not talking GGG as a signed deal, I don't know what it is.
                    Last edited by SlySlickSmooth; 11-01-2013, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler I View Post
                      That makes the most sense. Listening to the press conference, it sounds like the US aren't particularly keen on giving him a Visa. The way Hatton's talking, he needs to be world champ before he gets in.
                      That would really suck and sadly I wouldn't be surprised. Hopefully (if that's the case) they make him fight a live body for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X