Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there anyway floyd could have beaten leonard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only way Mayweather could beat Leonard is to outbox him. Both are all-time greats so both had a chance at winning provided they used the right tactics.Leonard made few mistakes in the ring, and whatever mistakes he did make Floyd would try his best to capitalize on them.

1) Take way Leonard's Jab and throw lead rights....Leonard had a tendency to keep his left hand a little low and brought it back low after he jabbed. Against Duran, Benitez, and Hearns he was countered over the jab or caught by over hands rights because his left hand was too low and he didnt roll with the punch in time. Mayweather has a laser of a counter right hand, is very accurate and would pick up on this after the 1-3 rounds.

2) Dont fight Leonard mid-range...Be all the way in or all the way out. When Leonard could not outbox guys he turned up the heat and became aggressive. Against Benitez and Hearns he was getting outbox but gained the advantage when he turned fighter. Mayweather should fight outside use his jab, right hands, and check hook timing Leonard's rushes.

Mayweather will the superior counterpuncher and is more slippery on the inside than Leonard. Leonard has more power than Floyd, arguable throws faster flurries, but Mayweather throws shorter punchers, is more accurate and should go to the body and counterpunch when leonard throws his hooks to the body counter with his patented right uppercut immediately.

3) Dont sit on the ropes and allow Leonard to still close rounds by using his famous flurries. IMO Mayweather will land the cleaner shots, Leonard will throw more punches and land more but not as clean. When he sees that Leonard is tyring to do his late round flurries, turn boxer and move his legs and take this away

4) Thread the needle....When Leonard was throwing showy flurries and he put power on his punches and dug his feat in the ground, his punches got a bit more wider. His right hands were either over hand rights or right hooks. He rarely threw his right hand straight. Straight punches beat wide punches. Mayweather could take advantage of this and punch with Leonard when he flurries or throws power shots and counter him. Mayweather throws his punches the same, short and precise. He could take advantage of being the more accurate puncher.

I favor Leonard, but Floyd had the tools to beat Leonard if he fought the right right, he had the ring IQ to do it.

Comment

Right now I'd honestly would go with Floyd. Better counter puncher, better on the inside and he would have more than held his own boxing. My opinion would have been different a couple of years ago, I'd lean towards Floyd right now. It's a winnable fight for both though.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
        Yes, there is a way floyd could've beaten Leonard.
        ....how so?

Comment

Leonards an ATG hall of fame fighter but he's not unbeatable. Leonard is a stick and move, inside out type fighter. He cant stand in front of a fighter and slip punches like Floyd Mayweather. And he's not the counter puncher Floyd is either. Plus Leonard had a problem slipping the jab, which led to the eye surgery. But Leonard has most of the physical advantages. Size and punching power go with Leonard. Hand speed is close. I think Floyd is the smarter more versatile fighter. But since they arent fighting Im not going to pick a winner but Leonard did say on ESPN First Take that his own brother would pick Floyd if they fought.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
            ....how so?
            KO, TKO, UD, SD, robbery on cards, fight stopped on cut, SRL could quit on stool, accidental headbutt-go to cards-floyd ahead.

All floyd has to do is win 7/12 or 8/15 rds and not get knocked down and he's good.

Comment

Floyd has filled out at ww... but... he would still have his hands full with SRL.

Tough to say. I'd have to edge SRL, but Floyd's defense and timing is not to be ignored. I don't think Duran would have caught Floyd the same way he caught SRL...

Comment

Originally posted by Ghazan View Post
                Leonard I think beats him and beats him easily. They both have great speed..but Floyd rarely throws more than one or two or at most three at 147. He pot shots whereas Leonard will rip of combos and if he has you hurt he will go hell for leather to finish you...just check out Leonard vs Hearns 1..leonard went on a ferocious onslaught towards the end to Ko a prime Hearns.

Feet I give to Leonard, he was younger at 147 then floyd and I think Floyd may have lost a step or two...

Chin to Leonard too. He took fierce punches of brutal ko artists like Duran,Hagler,Benitez and Hearns and although stunned sometimes never looked badly hurt...Floyd was almost down against Mosely..with respect Mosely's right hand is not in the same league as Hearns.

I think Leonard has that little bit extra in all

What do you think?
                Floyd would humiliate this guy. SRL had no defense. He used footwork to escape danger, and used his speed advantage to overwhelm slower guys. Other than that, he has no stand-out skills. And remember, his toughest fights where cherrypicks. A blown up lightweight in Duran who he was the favorite to beat, then LOST. He couldnt even land a jab on Duran. In the rematch, he cherrypicked him right away because he knew he would be out of shape. He ducked Hagler and cherrypicked him when he was old. Floyd would have him throwing one or two shots, as soon as the fight started. The opening round, Floyd would already having him fight his fight. If SRL tries to throw combinations, Floyd would just tie him up on the insides to stop all that mess! Same thing he did with Ghost. I knew Floyd wouldnt be able to counter Ghost on the inside, or do much fighting off the ropes. Floyd tied him up on the inside, same thing he would do to Broner to stop his inside fighting. Terrible style match up for SRL because Floyd would capitalize on his lack of D, and once that happens, your already fighting Floyd's fight. I have Floyd winning that 11 rounds to 1!

Comment

Originally posted by WilkinsOlajuwon View Post
                  No. It'd be close but clear win for SRL. Big part of Floyd's success that is slept on is how he uses his reach advantage to maintain distance where he is in range while his opponent is not.

That would not be the case with SRL
                  When Floyd fights taller guys who have long arms, he uses footwork and darts in and out to overwhelm you. Boxrec and Showtime list Ghost and Canelo as shorter than Floyd with shorter arms. But They are ALWAYS wrong. Floyd looked waay shorter than Ghost and Canelo both in the ring. I think their arms are longer than his too!

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFollower View Post
                    No way Mayweather beats Leonard.

Leonard had EVERYTHING Mayweather had and more.

Leonard had quicker hand speed, long jab, better footwork, more power, and equal or just about as good Boxing skill..plus a size advantage of height.

Look at Leonard Vs Duran 2....

Thats how Mayweather Vs Leonard would have looked, granted Mayweather was way more quicker than Duran, but he would have been tagged all night long by a jab and power punches. Mayweather's defense wouldn't have even been effective enough to stop those quick jabs.

Leonard gets a TKO or UD easily.
                    Your forgetting that SRL had NO defense. Just reflexes, and footwork. He couldnt even land a jab on Duran. Duran was a cherrypicked lightweight. He beat the crap out of SRL. In the rematch Duran was out of shape, and that too was a cherrypick. SRL would try to bully Floyd because of his lack of power, and that would be a problem!

Comment

Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
                      Your forgetting that SRL had NO defense. Just reflexes, and footwork. He couldnt even land a jab on Duran. Duran was a cherrypicked lightweight. He beat the crap out of SRL. In the rematch Duran was out of shape, and that too was a cherrypick. SRL would try to bully Floyd because of his lack of power, and that would be a problem!
                      Just STFU and go away.

Comment

Working...
                      X