Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Measured Against All Time: Rafael Marquez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely, that fight I can not rewatch....too painful a close. Worst decision I ever saw where the other fighter was so clearly and constantly out-muscled out-slugged and out-hurt. For Fenech everything was the will to win...to overcome you on sheer guts and superior drive.....after that decision he was done....though it might or might not have eventually helped him as a person to deal with all that. Guy had many multiple body shot knockdown fights too...he hurt you to the body bad and stole your heart with the smothering....Callejus just couldn't beat him and he was real good and fighting the perfect guy for him in Fenech too. But you know...good as he was, he was in there with Chavez who was just like sort of the same with a more stalking grind but relentless and a whole level or three above Jeff in terms of total package nightmare.....ask Rosario who looked like a beat-up puppy.Rosario was a terror and he was jacked for this fight too....Chavez just was too good, for everyone but Whittaker, and that's a bad style matchup for Julio anyway. I Would've rather seen that at 135 too....even 140...might've counted for something. But back to Fenech...man, it should've been him and McGuigen....damn shame that one never happened at the right time. Slugfest galore, but I got Fenech all day in that one back when his chin was concrete, BTW!

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
    One of the best pressure fighters of his era. And fought in the right era. His hand issues would have limited him more in another age. I recall when they talked about he and Pea. I would have loved to see it. I don't think he could have won but if he gets the decision against Nelson (that still pisses me off), he would have been a different fighter mentally. They broke Fenech that night. He was never the same.

Comment

Why has this ******* never measured Barrera against the all time greats?

Comment

how is calzaghe an all time great but rafa marquez isn't? marquez beat better fighters, he beat them in or close to their primes, he never ducked any fighters, he doesn't have a long history of early stoppages, and he doesn't have any gift decisions like calzaghe does against hopkins.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
          how is calzaghe an all time great but rafa marquez isn't? marquez beat better fighters, he beat them in or close to their primes, he never ducked any fighters, he doesn't have a long history of early stoppages, and he doesn't have any gift decisions like calzaghe does against hopkins.
          beating Austin, Johnson x2 and snatching the lineal title from Izzy Vasquez is greater then any win Calzaghe has.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyFaceAssasin View Post
            Why has this ******* never measured Barrera against the all time greats?
            I'll get to him. Relax.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtli. View Post
              beating Austin, Johnson x2 and snatching the lineal title from Izzy Vasquez is greater then any win Calzaghe has.
              i would say the hopkins win was just as good but calzaghe was outclassed in that fight. he couldn't hit hopkins cleanly and hopkins countered and moved everytime calzaghe came rushing in. kessler, lacy, and a couple other decent wins don't equal marc johnson, austin, and vasquez. also the title defenses argument is useless because ottke did the same thing. most of his defenses were weak.
              Last edited by daggum; 10-03-2013, 10:33 PM.

Comment

FTR, Barrera and Hamed are both fighters I'd like to do in the next year or so. These pieces take more time. The Klits, Floyd, and Pac are all still too current but I anticipate them coming up as well. Glad these continue to be relatively received. I enjoy doing them.

Comment

FTR, Barrera and Hamed are both fighters I'd like to do in the next year or so. These pieces take more time. The Klits, Floyd, and Pac are all still too current but I anticipate them coming up as well. Glad these continue to be relatively received. I enjoy doing them.
                  do vitali, chris john, sven ottke, and calzaghe again(this time do it right)

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                    do vitali, chris john, sven ottke, and calzaghe again(this time do it right)
                    Eventually, no, never, and I got it right the first time. Move on dude. It's been five years. Let the dead horse be dead.

Comment

Eventually, no, never, and I got it right the first time. Move on dude. It's been five years. Let the dead horse be dead.
                      is chad dawson an all time great? he has a better resume than calzaghe. actually beat hopkins legit as well. or does the fact that calzaghe barely fought anyone give him some sort of a fantasy advantage?

Comment

Working...
                      X