No announcement yet.

Edwin Rodriguez gets $1 million dollar purse for Ward fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by baya View Post
    how do you not know who this kid is? hes been the hottest up and comer in this division for like 2 years now.
    Lotta Folk don't really follow 160 up that much, just maybe know the big names.
    Remember, La Bombas two biggest fights have been the super 4 in Monaco (I don't even know if those were on any of the major US networks) which many people probably never even heard of ('cept the first round being on the GGG - Ishida card).

I mean, if Andre's on good form he oughta take Rodriguez, but it sure as hell ain't a challenge he should take lightly. Grachev was kinda overated and his win over Erdei debatable, but Edwin simply destroyed him (an' I had Grachev for the win). Ward better not come to the ring half-assed or he'll be handed the other half by La Bomba.

I do agree the Rodriguez isn't really worth a $mil at market prices, but he really got spoilt with the Super 4, then lucky to catch Ward at a time when he badly needed someone to fight - good luck to the Kid I say. Ain't his fault that he caught a good break.

Incidentally I'm British, and you'll probably have a few Brits telling you that Groves (bless his little cotton socks) is the SMW divisions biggest up-and-comer. He isn't; I'd take La Bomba any day of the week, but it is a coincidence that they're both taking their step into the big time so close together. Actually (and I'm kinda assuming they both lose) Rodriguez - Groves would make a decent match-up for next year.
    Last edited by Citizen Koba; 09-23-2013, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by black.ink View Post
      2.1 Mill it is then

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        to all the jokers who thought rodriguez should take the initial offer:

this is why you don't take the first offer. an extra 200K can buy you a house.
        This^^^^^^The art of negotiation will live forever

Comment

This is the best time to ever catch Ward, coming off a layoff and injury. Not really impressed with Edwin's win over Grachev, he hit him with 3 or 4 rabbit punches that the ref cleary ignored or didn't see. Nonetheless this is a quality fight, and a chance for Edwin to fight the best fighter on earth not named Mayweather.

Comment

Fantastic! That's what it's all about. Make maximum money or GTFO!

Comment

God I hope Ward Chavez gets made, it would be a gigantic spectacle!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheSlickster View Post
                I wonder what Ward's purse is. But should be an intriguing fight. Ward should fight more active after this, 2-3 times a year before his prime slips away.
                I assume 2 since they were splitting 3 million.

Comment

Originally posted by hhwff3000 View Post
                  This^^^^^^The art of negotiation will live forever
                  And this hot on the heels of Stevens getting a extra $ ???,000 for turning down the first offer on GGG. HBO are really desperate to get some decent fights for their big names and the boxing world knows it.

Comment

I just dont understand why HBO have to over pay for this fight so much

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
                      Ward can't move down really. He's really more a LHW anyways (about 185 ring weight), and look at the problems GGGs having trying to net a decent fight at 160. In fact GGGs the only viable opponent for Ward at 160, and he sure as hell ain't gonna want to drain hisself down to 160 to fight Golovkin when GGG will come up.

175 is pretty exciting right now, I'd suggest it's time for Ward to move up. He already fought Sad Chad (though at 168) and La Bombas last fight was Grachev at a catch somewhere in between, so he's halfway there already.
                      Wrong get your facts straight, Ward was 174 on fight night vs a 188 Dawson. Look @ the actual HBO coverage. Direct tv if you have it, has it on demand. Ward has never weighed over 175 on fight night. I believe he was 173 vs froch 174 on fight night. Ward is not a big super middle, compared to Rodriguez who weighed 188 I believe vs grachev. Also Adonis Stevenson was weighing in the high 180's while he was @ super middle. Just to give you an idea of a big super middle/ or LHW that's why there was a catche weight for Rodriguez fight and why Adonis moved up.
                      Last edited by Nahshon Israel; 09-23-2013, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X