Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So why was Marvin Hagler never told to move up in weight to challenge himself?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

claiming ur the greatest of all time is a big thing to boast. so some people think he would really have to do something big to be considered.

Comment

Originally posted by BamBam_ View Post
      Yall make great points about there being no internet back then lol

The whole reason I made this thread is becuz people have soooo much crap to say about floyd becuz they don't like him (and that is their right) but when it comes to other boxers they don't wanna say ANYTHING

U know what I mean?
      yea nothing wrong with disliking floyd the person, i sure do. but too many people let it cloud their judgement about how great he really is.

Comment

I find it more hilarious that not only do they say he MUST move up, but if he doesn't he is a ducking coward. LMAO they hold him to an otherworldly standard.

Comment

Those guys didn't fight during the internet era. If they did you'd be seeing threads like: "Hagler is too pussy to move up", "Hearns eats like a model to beat up smaller men", "Leonard is a cherry picker" and "Duran is only a brawler, any pure boxer beats him."

However, I agree with your point about Floyd.

Comment

Why anyone would not want him to move up is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by ghns1133 View Post
              claiming ur the greatest of all time is a big thing to boast. so some people think he would really have to do something big to be considered.
              It don't mean every division LOL , something big you say , look closely at his body of work and he aint finished yet , there will be another 4 World Champions to be added before he is done .

Floyd is the best ever from 130-147

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieClutch View Post
                I don't understand your frustration. Even though I think it's a bit irrational to ask Floyd to fight Ward; the fact that people are asking Floyd to move up, or fight bigger fighters, is truly a compliment to his amazing skill set.
                Not really, they did it with Pac as well and asked him to move up constantly, and his skill set isn't otherworldly is it, just his punching ability is.
                Mainly because Pac had run out of challengers and challenges.

There are lots of fighters in Floyds weight division who he could fight, but he isn't going to fight many of them as he is retiring soon. So might as well go out with a **** and fight some big dudes. Sergio Martinez is mentioned sometimes as a Floyd opponent because he is a p4p like Floyd and it would be a modern super fight and they are similar in size.

Its not neccesarily harder to do, depending on who those big guys are, but it looks flashy doesn't it. Like david and goliath, Floyd slaying the giants like a hero.
                Last edited by hugh grant; 09-18-2013, 05:26 PM.

Comment

most of hagler's best comp was below hiim in weight.

moving up would be looked at as "ducking them," by idiot NSB fanboys today.

Comment

I agree there are weight classes for a reason. FIghters should only move up if they have to or those jackasses that drain themselves to have advantages over smaller guys.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
                      Not really, they did it with Pac as well and asked him to move up constantly, and his skill set isn't otherworldly is it, just his punching ability is.
                      Mainly because Pac had run out of challengers and challenges.

There are lots of fighters in Floyds weight division who he could fight, but he isn't going to fight many of them as he is retiring soon. So might as well go out with a **** and fight some big dudes. Sergio Martinez is mentioned sometimes as a Floyd opponent because he is a p4p like Floyd and it would be a modern super fight and they are similar in size.

Its not neccesarily harder to do, depending on who those big guys are, but it looks flashy doesn't it. Like david and goliath, Floyd slaying the giants like a hero.
                      You have never boxed that's why you think its easy to **** with the big guys as you put it .

Manny was stepping into the ring at 145 while weighing in at 129 , he was the same weight fighting as a JLW as he was at WW , they are just manipulating the weigh-in process , and not drying out , Floyd is doing the same thing , he is not drying out to make weight .

Its not an unlimited scale that you can move up , I know you want Floyd beat soooo bad , but MW is too big for him even if he could pull it of , its like lumping a huge weight on a racehorses back just to beat him .

The average WW will step into the ring at 160 , the average JWW at 150-154 , the average LW at 140-145 , go through history of weights and this is what it is .

Comment

Working...
                      X