No announcement yet.

Once and for all who was the better fighter in his Prime Roy or Floyd

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
    I'm not sure why it's the consensus that Roy has a better resume. He doesn't. Floyd has been on top longer, beaten more pfp fighters, and been on top in more weight classes. Roy also had a habit of fighting embarrassing opposition. With the exception of a few guys at 140, Floyd has pretty much always fought top guys.

James Toney was always a very beatable fighter (cement feet) and Hopkins wouldn't peak for years. Both very good wins, but nothing above the caliber of Floyd's best wins.

With that said, I do think Roy on his best day was more unbeatable.
    You're thinking of the punchy current version of James Toney. Not the prime one.

Comment

Its a tough one but I would give it to floyd but not to far behind is roy

Comment

Roy jones is better and did more

Comment

Originally posted by KiloTeague View Post
          This is a great post. I agree with it all.
          I said Castillo when I meant Corrales though.

Comment

Prime Roy at his very best is the like of which there have been very few of...a true original. Floyd is great, but we've seen it before.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              Prime Roy at his very best is the like of which there have been very few of...a true original. Floyd is great, but we've seen it before.
              I personally consider it the difference between a once in a generation fighter as opposed to a once in a lifetime fighter. Possibly the fastest fighter to ever lace up a pair of gloves who also had the ability to KO opponents with either hand just seems impossible to vote against.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamehameha View Post
                I personally consider it the difference between a once in a generation fighter as opposed to a once in a lifetime fighter. Possibly the fastest fighter to ever lace up a pair of gloves who also had the ability to KO opponents with either hand just seems impossible to vote against.
                A very fair assessment and much better put than my own post!

Comment

And very skilled. He was far from just athleticism, which people these days seem to mistake him for.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                    And very skilled. He was far from just athleticism, which people these days seem to mistake him for.
                    Absolutely. They tend to think of him slipping in his later age as proof he was only an athletic freak. The truth is he was an incredible athletic specimen who adopted a style that complimented his unique physical gifts and not just a basic fighter with those same gifts.
                    Last edited by Kamehameha; 09-24-2013, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Again, I agree with everything you just said.

Comment

Working...
                      X