Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Joe Louis held in such high regard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shutupmeg View Post
    The difference is Louis faced numerous great fighters, and some "bums" sure. What great fighters have Wlad faced?

Overall Louis resume is far better.
    The thing is that It's hard to fight other great heavyweights when they get snuffed out before they get to prove themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      louis was ripped to the bone. if he trained and ate like a modern HW he'd be 220 lbs, which isn't much smaller than the brewster that trainwrecked wladimir.

6'2" with a 76" reach. 200-210 in his prime, ripped like a middleweight. that's really not that small. similar in dimensions to lamon brewster.
      Brewster wrecked Wladimir? When did that happen and in what universe?

He did nothing more than stay on his feel long enough for Wlad to wear himself out.

I suggest you watch that fight again.

Not only that, Louis was pretty small by today's standards.

Most of his carer he was under 210 lbs.

I'm taking nothing away from Louis, but I doubt he could compete with a Lewis or a Klitschko. They are not only huge, but skilled as well.

Comment

Joe Louis is one of the most amazing fighters I have ever seen. The way people just folded from his right hand didnt even seem real. Hes a better fighter than Wlad, he has a better resume and he will always be a Top 5 ATG Heavyweight.

Comment

this a serious question? one of the greatest hitters ever, the longest reigning HW champ ever......i cant even

Comment

His heavyweight era was about as weak as the current one but he won all his world title fights and had a hell of a lot of them for that era. Indeed Louis' first defeat came at the age of 22 as a 2 year pro and didn't lose again until he was 36, he was head and shoulders above everyone in his prime. His punching technique, particularly the right hand, but also the left hook, was about as perfect as it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
              Brewster wrecked Wladimir? When did that happen and in what universe?

He did nothing more than stay on his feel long enough for Wlad to wear himself out.

I suggest you watch that fight again.

Not only that, Louis was pretty small by today's standards.

Most of his carer he was under 210 lbs.

I'm taking nothing away from Louis, but I doubt he could compete with a Lewis or a Klitschko. They are not only huge, but skilled as well.
              yes. he wrecked him. he left him in a heap. he could hardly get back to his corner. wladimir has an awful chin for a great HW. awful.

i've seen that fight plenty of times, dude. wladimir was very aggressive and much closer to brewster than is the case in his contemporary fights. he caught a huge left hook that wrecked him. he could hardly get up at the end of the round before byrd waved it off. you don't have to win every second of every round to "wreck somebody. i'm not interested in arguing over semantics regardless. the point remains that he was still knocked out by a guy who isn't much bigger at all than joe louis.

just look at how loose brewster's skin is in that fight. as i've outlined, brewster and louis have identical dimensions. if brewster were in louis type shape he would weigh less than 225 lbs.

even if brewster couldn't possibly wiegh less than 220 lbs, is that last 10-15 lbs really enough to say that he's got ability to fight larger guys when louis cannot? he knocked wladimir out, and is hardly any bigger than louis.

Comment

-Longest reigning heavyweight champion in history (11 years, 8 months, 8 days)
                -Most successful title defenses for a heavyweight consecutively (25)
                -Defeated seven universals champions
                -Defeated every top heavyweight brought to him during his reign
                -KO'd every champion he has ever defeated

Need anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralZod View Post
                  -Longest reigning heavyweight champion in history (11 years, 8 months, 8 days)
                  -Most successful title defenses for a heavyweight consecutively (25)
                  -Defeated seven universals champions
                  -Defeated every top heavyweight brought to him during his reign
                  -KO'd every champion he has ever defeated

Need anything else?
                  B b but, he's small! LMAO.

Comment

I like Louis because of his skills and demeanor he showed outside the ring. He's actually one of my all time favorite Heavyweights, but to be honest almost all black and white old school fighters gets horribly overrated by history romanticizers. Just hear how Harry Greb The GOAT would've sent GGG to hell because of the 13 scrubs he beat that happened to make into the HOF.

W.Klitschko would've gone through Louis's record in a similar or better fashion

Comment

This.............

Comment

Working...
                      X