Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who wins: Kovalev vs Calzaghe?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kovalev kills him, much better boxer and much harder power.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
      Such a difficult match. Calzaghe won most his fights with something to spare and Kovalev has pretty much dominated all of his. I'm tempted to say Calzaghe finds a way to win really, really close, but if a fight is so difficult to call usually the safe bet is the guy who's in his weight class. 50/50.
      Calzaghe vs Byron Mitchell-Down by a right
      Calzaghe vs Hopkins-Down by a right
      Calzaghe vs RJJ-Down by a right
      Calzaghe vs Salem-Down by a right

Calzaghe has only fought 1 boxer in his entire career that has had a KO ratio above 70%, Kessler. He didn't take chances.

If Kovalev touched him with a right, it's lights out. Kovalev is also a superior boxer to anybody JC has ever faced, he struggled mightily with guys like Reid and Bika.

Comment

Didn't come close to losing those matches though. Trinidad got dropped by more than a few guys but was dominant in most those fights he went down in.

He took chances to Kessler. He took the fight to him second half and hurt him with body punches. I'm sure Veit was like 31-0 (28) to my knowledge thats over 70%.

Reid and Bika were spoilers. They came to foul not to win. He looked not so great but it's hard to look good against that type of foe.
        Last edited by chrisJS; 03-28-2017, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Didn't come close to losing those matches though. Trinidad got dropped by more than a few guys but was dominant in most those fights he went down in.

He took chances to Kessler. He took the fight to him second half and hurt him with body punches. I'm sure Veit was like 31-0 (28) to my knowledge thats over 70%.

Reid and Bika were spoilers. They came to foul not to win. He looked not so great but it's hard to look good against that type of foe.
          Mitchell had him hurt badly, he could've easily lost that fight. He arguably lost his fight with Reid and Hopkins, and he was dropped by RJJ, if younger, would've ended him.

Kessler lost 2x to Froch, and was dominated by a 26 year old Ward, that's the most dangerous opponent he's fought.

Veit had a KO ratio of just 56%, 17 ko's. JC was scared of punchers, he was susceptible to right hands which is exactly why he steered clear of RJJ.

Comment

Kovalev stops him

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
              Mitchell had him hurt badly, he could've easily lost that fight. He arguably lost his fight with Reid and Hopkins, and he was dropped by RJJ, if younger, would've ended him.

Kessler lost 2x to Froch, and was dominated by a 26 year old Ward, that's the most dangerous opponent he's fought.

Veit had a KO ratio of just 56%, 17 ko's. JC was scared of punchers, he was susceptible to right hands which is exactly why he steered clear of RJJ.
              He arguably lost to Reid and Hopkins and let me guess Kovalev clearly beat Kovalev?

I don't get how he could have easily lost to Mitchell. He was staggered but he was up and healthy in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                you could say that about any fight. so calz is too busy for everyone in boxing history? how does being busy matter? its about landing punches not throwing them. hopkins beat him with ease since he landed all the clean work. being busy is just a silly way to say well he tried hard....what did he do though? oh nothing but he tried really hard!
                I agree, about the Hopkins fight... Its funny I think revisionism has reared its head regarding slappy: Most threads seem to overestimate Calzighe. I went into this thread thinking that it would be overwhelming that people gave it to Joe.

Joe's good at finding a way to first and foremost avoid opponents like the Russian...but if they fought it would look like the Hopkins fight imo. Joe just knows how to look busy and steal a round and maybe avoid getting stetched by the Russian. But Kovalev could catch him and probably would!

Comment

He arguably lost to Reid and Hopkins and let me guess Kovalev clearly beat Kovalev?

I don't get how he could have easily lost to Mitchell. He was staggered but he was up and healthy in no time.

Kovalev is a top 5 fighter in the sport, Reid and B-Hop aren't/weren't. Hopkins couldn't even beat Taylor.

JC was badly hurt against Mitchell, Mitchell had recently been down 2 fights earlier when he got caught coming in, he made the same mistake again. This is the same guy that's going to be eating punches from punchers like Rodriguez, Kovalev, Barrera, etc? Hell nah haha

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
                    i want some of what this guy is taking ^
                    and Ill take some of what you are taking! 16-110 after a knockdown? Would Kovalev just stop fighting an channel Lacy after the flash knockdown? Would Joe become the hulk and slap his way to perpetual punching primacy as the stunned Russian could at most win a round or two after Joe...stole the momentum of the knockdown?

Thats just a crazt scenerio imo. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
                      Kovalev is a top 5 fighter in the sport, Reid and B-Hop aren't/weren't. Hopkins couldn't even beat Taylor.

JC was badly hurt against Mitchell, Mitchell had recently been down 2 fights earlier when he got caught coming in, he made the same mistake again. This is the same guy that's going to be eating punches from punchers like Rodriguez, Kovalev, Barrera, etc? Hell nah haha
                      Calzaghe would beat Rodriguez and Barrera easily. I can't believe anyone with two eyes would suggest otherwise.

Hopkins got jobbed against Taylor both times. Taylor was closer to winning against Hopkins than Ward was against Kovalev though.

Calzaghe would be competitive with Kovalev.

Comment

Working...
                      X