Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Abner Mares the most underrated fighter in boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Abner Mares the most underrated fighter in boxing?

I mean Donaire had all this hype but never really fought anybody special until Rigo. All the great fighters around his weight were in the showtime tournament and Mares beat them all.

He is a P4P fighter yet Ward got more respect for his tournament then Mares did.

He had a FOTY vs Yonny Perez, outworked Morel, Moreno, Vic, and Abgeko 2x. Not to mention he just stopped Ponce De Leon who is one of the toughest guys in the lighter classes. Arguably gave Broner his first loss.

Yet theirs like 1 thread about him every 2-3 days. Dude is a warrior and always comes to fight. Most underrated fighter in the game. P4P elite! Would give Rigo a good fight, outwork Donaire and give Garcia the business.

WAR MARES!!!!!

He isn't underrated, it's just that he fights in lower weight classes. As far as the Rigo fight, I don't see it impossible for Mares, it's a pretty even fight.

Comment

Nah Broner is teh most underrated people think maidana can beat him lmao

Comment

You think he's underrated because there's only 1 thread every 2-3 days?

Comment

No, I think he's rated accordingly, maybe even a bit overrated. The guy is a bit of a division hopper and has usually fought guys smaller than him up until he fought Ponce de Leon (roughly his size).

He was also gift wrapped a vacant belt at 122, which he fought for against a 40 year old 118 pounder moving up. He also never fought an actual 122 pounder and never dominated a division. He has however compilled a decent resume in terms of names: Darchinyan(viz SD), Agbeko x 2 (MD,UD), Moreno (at 122 not 118), and Ponce de Leon (his best performance by far). he also has a draw against Yonnhy Perez.

I think he has found some new found power at 126 because it's closer to his natural weight.

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo
            You think he's underrated because there's only 1 thread every 2-3 days?
            Rarely anybody ever mentions him. People can talk about GGG or Mattysse all day yet Mares is alot more proven. You rarely ever hear about him in pound for pound discussions. Hell people talk more about the klitchkos then mares. Even broner gets more love p4p. A disgrace

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Donaire's fought no one special but knocked out both Darchinyan and Montiel who were in the Top 10 P4P whilst Mares struggled badly with a worse version of Darchinyan and very arguably lost?

Mares is a good fighter who should be in the Top 10 P4P because he has a good resume but he's not that good IMO. He's struggled in a lot of his wins and looked underwhelming.

The two fights I think he looked P4P quality are the Moreno fight and the second Agbeko fight.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza
                Donaire's fought no one special but knocked out both Darchinyan and Montiel who were in the Top 10 P4P whilst Mares struggled badly with a worse version of Darchinyan and very arguably lost?

Mares is a good fighter who should be in the Top 10 P4P because he has a good resume but he's not that good IMO. He's struggled in a lot of his wins and looked underwhelming.

The two fights I think he looked P4P quality are the Moreno fight and the second Agbeko fight.
                Pac didnt look spectacular against Clottey or Bradley. That Vic win was years ago and besides the montiel win his competition is slacking while Mares fights tough guys everytime and grinds them out

Comment

Not to mention styles make fights. A one punch guy will always struggle against a good counterpuncher like donaire. Mares grinded him out.

Comment

Originally posted by $Natedatpkid$ View Post
                    Pac didnt look spectacular against Clottey or Bradley. That Vic win was years ago and besides the montiel win his competition is slacking while Mares fights tough guys everytime and grinds them out

He didn't look spectacular but he won both fights clearly.

Mares didn't win the Darchinyan fight clearly, the Perez fight clearly, the first Agbeko fight without controversy.

What makes Morel better than Mathebula?

Mares is a good fighter but I think if anything he's overrated. Like I said, the only fights I've been overly impressed with him in is the Moreno fight and the second Agbeko fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X