No announcement yet.

when was cotto's prime?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when was cotto's prime?

I mean, he was past his prime when he fought floyd right? Although he was champion...he wins 3 rounds against Floyd and he troubled Floyd?lol-wow

He made Floyd's nose bleed with jabs.lol---floyd struggled...gtfoh..

You people have lost your mind on this site....cotto loses to Manny at a cw for an interim title if you ask me....Shane was the true ww champion if you ask me....yes, tony may have cheated to beat cotto but we don't know for sure....I think he did also but who knows....

anyway, cotto is known for fighting for vacated titles...look at his Jr we run and beginning stages of his ww run....

So was cotto in his prime when he fought Manny? Was the fight with clottey not bad? Was the lost to margarito not mind boggling? His 1st lost....you're never the same...cotto is Manny's best win at ww no doubt....but was cotto in his prime in 2007 and 2008 when he beat Shane and lost to margarito? I know, I know....Floyd ducked these years right.....

He didn't fight an unknown Paul Williams...or margarito who lost to Paul Williams, and Shane who turned Floyd down in 1999 by asking for 10 million dollars(read between the limes of this request folks), 2005 and 2006 after he neat Vargas, then wants Floyd in 2007 after Floyd beat his boss, Oscar, and realized how much money there was to be made with Floyd now, but Floyd fights hatton thus showing us that he was in controll of boxing's big fightss at that point.....Oscar' hatton, and Shane turned Floyd down I'm 2004 and 2005.... Now he was on top of the negotiating table due to his record with Oscar....

Shane wasn't a draw in terms of ppv at that point...he fought cotto instead on HBO and lost to him....was this cotoo,s prime folks?

Cotto started boxing pro in 2000, 2001 something like that....and started at 140...Floyd started in 96 and at 130, And agrees to fight cotto and hatton for 10 million each. After he fought margarito in 2006 and arum said no....so Floyd wanted Oscar....arum pissed Floyd off, seeing how bobbo gave Oscar everything and kept Floyd waiting for so many years and Floyd felt like he was being used...arum knew he would beat Marg's ass and wanted to get rid of tony but was mad Floyd wanted Oscar and toprank had bad blood....all that money to be made.....and Bob would be cut out of it....

Think about it people.....Floyd was owed money from the gatti and Judah fights...problems within to prank was the reason for this debiacle. Floyd had legal issues and wanted big paydays....his arrogance and lack of push compared to Oscar caused all of this bad blood between him and arum...

He never ducked margarito, cotto, and other to prank fighters....Bob arum is to blame solely...he never wanted to sacrifise cotto to Floyd until Bob could cash out on cotto and cotto never ever pursued Floyd....he knew, especially after the corley fight that Floyd moving up to 140 wouldn't hurt Floyd weight wise...

Originally posted by pbftxrs316 View Post

He never ducked margarito, cotto, and other to prank fighters....Bob arum is to blame solely...
    You wrote an essay just to say this?

Comment

Cotto's prime was anything before margs fight,,,

margs ruined him

cotto's peak was 2006-2008
      in 04,05 cotto was still getting hit by torres and chop-chops,,, he seemed stronger and better at welter

Comment

He was prime when Margarito smashed his face in. His prime ended that night.

Comment

Not just his prime, but his post-prime was ended in Rd 6 of the 2008 Margarito fight. Cotto was a shot fighter after that.

Comment

Is this not the guy that said he cried along with Floyd after he won a fight?

Comment

But he also saw Floyd more aggressive and hit more than usual by a southpaw... And cotto is a southpaw but converted....he fights right handed.....so he sparred with Brussels in order to see how he could fare against Floyd who dominated ole henry and cotto was in attendance....then Floyd fights gatti...we all know what happened in that one and cotto found it better just to stay quiet, fight a Lopez or two and then a Paulie malanaggi instead....and arum more than happily obliged....

So, let's think folks...Floyd pissed Bob off after all of the years Bob had Floyd raising eyebrows at him, especially after the 1st Castillo fight....Floyd fights gatti on ppv only to fight Mitchell on regular HBO...Floyd is not a draw...but his arrogance allows him to think he is....and he blames arum for how he marketed Floyd....you see how bad Floyd was during that gatti fight...Floyd knew he was something different...worth more...so he works with don king for the Judah fight.....he never wanted to fight baldomir...Floyd fought sharmba for Judah... Judah dusts off spinks and then fights tata....Judah really wanted de LA hoya and so did Floyd and Oscar wanted either of them, because after hiss loss to b hop, he had to get that win against a great black fighter....Floyd and zab were unorthodox technicians with pop in their punches and arrogant....Shane wouldn't draw good.....and he cheated before....Vernon lost to may or a twice so he was out.....but that DAmn may weather Jr boy....arrogant as they come boy....

Oscar wanted that big fight win he hadn't gotten since Vargas....Oscar signs to fight mayorga as a tuneup/comeback fight.....rugged as they come uncontrolling and big with good power but sloppy enough to look great against....Judah loses to tata...Floyd dominates Judah who put up a better fight than tata as I expected...Floyd dominates tata and it's on to Oscarville, USA. Lol.

Arum was pissed, so he threw margarito after the Judah fight to not only get tony out of the way but this is when I believed arum knew tony was using plaster....to get Floyd punished to wear he's never the same even when he does beat marg's ass......cotto is never offered until Floyd is away from arum...remember, Floyd fought baldomir with goosen promotions and was the challenger to the undisputed ww champ at the time, like or not...Marg was too busy losing to guys like Santos......

Sorry for the history lesson but at the same time, no I'm not....the hate Floyd receives by you people is gross....when you people don't know what you're talking about really...

Back to original topic though....answer me this one folks...Manny destroys cotto after cheat does right.....but then cotto goes on to win 3 fights at a higher weight, only to lose to the true fighter of the decade, may weather Jr and hasn't won since, ironic huh?lol

Comment

Is this guy really trying to say Cotto was a second-primed version of himself when he fought Floyd?

My God. Remember when Floyd said Cotto was "undefeated" when he fought him? I bet they buy that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                  Is this not the guy that said he cried along with Floyd after he won a fight?
                  Prime example of what I mean of dumbass posters on this forum....but i'm glad you remember that....it's good to have fans...I also cried when Floyd was screwed in the Olympics to todorov...of course I was there live and was 10 years old....

Comment

cotto hasnt had a decisive victory in since 2008...

hell mayorga was giving him hell, and one leg yuri,,,,

yet cotto was somehow prime vs floyd... No chance,,,,,,,,,,

Comment

Working...
                    X