Collapse
No announcement yet.

WBO rules state be up at 8

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The rule is a little vague. However, it does not say nor does it imply that the fighter should be up by 8.

(c) If, when reaching the count of eight (8), the fighter is up This wording suggests that the fighter doesn't need to be up at 8.

If the contestant taking the count is still down when the Referee calls the count of ten (10), the Referee shall wave both arms indicating that the contestant has been knocked out.

The ref did not do this in the fight on Saturday. He waved the fight off after saying 9. Therefore, he did not follow the rules according to the WBO.
    Last edited by Public_Enemy; 07-22-2013, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Public_Enemy View Post
      The rule is a little vague. However, it does not say nor does it imply that the fighter should be up by 8.

(c) If, when reaching the count of eight (8), the fighter is up This wording suggests that the fighter doesn't need to be up at 8.

If the contestant taking the count is still down when the Referee calls the count of ten (10), the Referee shall wave both arms indicating that the contestant has been knocked out.

The ref did not do this in the fight on Saturday. He waved the fight off after saying 9. Therefore, he did not follow the rules according to the WBO.
      Section (C) is addressing a mandatory 8 count. It is not stating that a fighter must be up by 8. If a fighter is up before 8, the referee must count up to 8 and then evaluate if the fighter is fit to continue. If the fighter isn't up by 8, the referee must continue to count until he reaches 10 and then he waves the fight off or the fighter rises off the canvas. If the fighter beats the count, the referee must then decide if he is fit to continue. This process did not happen correctly on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by chav View Post
        I honestly think there is no one else to blame but Malik Scott here. He doesnt need to bounce to his feet at the 3 second mark, but if he really was OK, he should have stood up before then. Staying down right until the last moment isnt typical of most fighters that are raring to get stuck back into their foe

If Malik really wanted to fight on, he should have shown more enthusiam rather then the lackadaisical effort he put in getting up for someone who was apparently unhurt.

Scott fans, stop being butthurt and blame him
        Scott is to blame because the ref doesnt know the rules? He has until the count if 10 to get up, its quite simple.

Scott fans are not crying because there are no scott fans. People are pissed because another moronic ref ruined a fight

Comment

Its weird how people dont know how to read when they are hugging a fighters nuts. Words like "if" and whole sentence comprehension has disappeared from Brits vocabularies on saturday

(c) If, when reaching the count of eight (8), the fighter is up, the Referee, if he deems it necessary, may examine said contestant taking all the time needed to evaluate whether the contestant is fit to continue. If the Referee determines that the fighter is fit to continue, the Referee shall promptly order the contest to continue. (d) If the contestant taking the count is still down when the Referee calls the count of ten (10), the Referee shall wave both arms indicating that the contestant has been knocked out
          Last edited by Russian Crushin; 07-22-2013, 11:02 AM.

Comment

The rule is not vague at all. Its simply saying that if the fighter is up by 8, the ref could examine him all the time he wants. Its not vague but more so completely not needed

Comment

this just in! in wbo fights you only get an 8 count to get up!

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                The rule is not vague at all. Its simply saying that if the fighter is up by 8, the ref could examine him all the time he wants. Its not vague but more so completely not needed
                I think I explained the rule correctly in my posts. Its not hard to understand for me. I said it was a little vague because there are things left out and people could interpret it incorrectly if they don't comprehend what they are reading. My posts below...

Section (C) is addressing a mandatory 8 count. It is not stating that a fighter must be up by 8. If a fighter is up before 8, the referee must count up to 8 and then evaluate if the fighter is fit to continue. If the fighter isn't up by 8, the referee must continue to count until he reaches 10 and then he waves the fight off or the fighter rises off the canvas. If the fighter beats the count, the referee must then decide if he is fit to continue. This process did not happen correctly on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by RajahBell View Post
                  I disagree, most refs stop the count when the fighter gets back up. It takes a good couple of seconds to look at the eyes, hold the gloves, ask "are you ready" or "are you ok", then ask the fighter to walk to him. If refs did what you suggested then many fighters should have been counted out after taking the mandatory 8 count because it took more than 10 seconds to assess the fighter.

i don't know how you get this from the post i made. i know exactly what the procedure looks like when a fighter is dropped.

scott waited until nine and some change to even get off his knees, not 7-8, which is the standard. the ref doesn't count to ten. he waves the fight off at ten. he didn't think he was up at 10 and waved it off. it's scott's job to make the call for the ref easy. it's in goddamn wembley. he's itching to count you out.

getting up at 9.8 was unprofessional, and it cost him the fight.

Comment

I think I explained the rule correctly in my posts. Its not hard to understand for me. I said it was a little vague because there are things left out and people could interpret it incorrectly if they don't comprehend what they are reading. My posts below...

Yes, your last paragraphs explains it perfectly

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
                      Yes but the implication in those rules reads that if the fighter isnt up by 8, or the 8-count, then the referee has every right to stop the fight out of suspicion of the boxers state. It reads that the boxer should be up by 8, and anything after is then up to the referees discretion. It's one of the many technicalities you'll find in Governing body rules, they deliberately keep these grey areas to void liability
                      The ref has the discretion to stop a fight if a guy is up at 1, 5, 8, 9, or if he hasn't been knocked down at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X