The Danny Garcia vs. Lucas Matthysse Prediction Thread. **ITS ON!**

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
    Undecided, toss up...

I see Danny Garcia controlling distance well, making Matthysse take the initiative which is inevitable and countering effectively, whether Matthysse can take the punch or not is another story. I think it's safe to assume Danny Garcia would be the hardest puncher Matthysse has ever faced and vise versa. It's a fight where Garcia has all the opportunities to counter if he can keep the fight within good range, Matthysse should look to feint and work Danny Garcia up close where he's most vulnerable. What Danny has going for him is a damn good chin, should be a great fight regardless of how it ends. No outcome surprises me here....

Too many people sleeping on Danny.
    I just don't think that Danny Garcia can fight a disciplined fight for 12 rounds against a guy who applies such smart pressure. Not to mention that Garcia is easy to hit, throws wide loopy punches, and doesn't have the best gas tank; this could all spell disaster for him.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
      I actually like both guys, Mattysse a bit more admittedly, but man Lucas is gonna destroy the kid.

What I don't understand is why everybody labels Garcia as the "man" of the division and Lucas as the challenger? If anything it should be the other way around or both men should be viewed as equals in terms of divisional standings.
      i actually look at matthysse as the true champ of the division. lucas matthysse had to go through humberto soto (135 lb wbc champ who moved up) and olusegun ajose (the no. 1 contender in the wbc rankings) to get his wbc belt. garcia fought a shot, overweight morales who won it in a vacant title match against a replacement for lucas matthysse, who was an inexperienced kid by the name of pablo cano.
      Last edited by chiguy91; 05-19-2013, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
        Yep I also believe a lot of people are sleeping on Danny, I see him attacking Lucas though, I see him fighting on the front foot and trying to back up Lucas, Ajose and Peterson did the same thing which were to try and keep a distance between themselves and Lucas, that is the wrong game plan and suicidial because that gives Lucas extension on his arm to land his power punches.

I see Garcia closing the distance, digging to the body and keeping his hands up, turning Lucas and trying to land his hooks...Garcia by UD.
        Matthysse doesn't need much extension to hurt any elite fighter, it's best to control distance, keep a full view on what Matthysse is plotting, similar to how Hopkins said he was gonna focus on everything Trinidad does, including his foot positioning. Garcia is a damn good counter puncher with good timing, he needs to predominantly keep the fight at a distance as Matthysse will give him all the opportunities in the world, whether he'll capitalize enough is another story.

Again, that's more of the style that Garcia operates in. He may have walked Khan down, as well as Judah at times, but Matthysse is an entirely different animal. It's best to keep him away, make him lunge in, get him off balance and look to land solid shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
          Matthysse doesn't need much extension to hurt any elite fighter, it's best to control distance, keep a full view on what Matthysse is plotting, similar to how Hopkins said he was gonna focus on everything Trinidad does, including his foot positioning. Garcia is a damn good counter puncher with good timing, he needs to predominantly keep the fight at a distance as Matthysse will give him all the opportunities in the world, whether he'll capitalize enough is another story.

Again, that's more of the style that Garcia operates in. He may have walked Khan down, as well as Judah at times, but Matthysse is an entirely different animal. It's best to keep him away, make him lunge in, get him off balance and look to land solid shots.
          Peterson would beat Danny in a competitive fight, I don't think Danny could time Lucas nor do I think he wants the fight to begin with

Danny has power but Lucas has ATG power for his weight class and the best KO% in the sport

Comment

danny garcia would get brutalized and lose by tko. i've said this for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
              danny garcia would get brutalized and lose by tko. i've said this for a while.
              Barn! Which one was better for you Rigo over Donaire or Matthysse over Peterson?

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
                Barn! Which one was better for you Rigo over Donaire or Matthysse over Peterson?
                Probably Rigo over Donaire but only by a tiny bit, and for miscellaneous reasons.

1. I was actually worried about Donaire's power and thought he could catch Rigo. I was pretty confident of a Matthysse win here.
                2. I watched that fight live, I got this one on replay (didn't know result though)
                3. People were flat out disrespecting Rigo at the time, Matthysse didn't get the kind of hate Rigo did pre-fight.

But yeah I'm still high as a mother****er on boxing as of right now. My two favourites getting the best wins of their career in just over a month. It's great.

Comment

Am I the only one who didn't give Peterson even a remote chance in this fight then?

I don't mean that in a 'I was right' sort of way, I keep seing people saying this was a shock, they can't believe what happened, etc...I don't even think this is Lucas' best win. I think Peterson is distinctly average personally, to me the Olesegun win is FAR better.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                    Probably Rigo over Donaire but only by a tiny bit, and for miscellaneous reasons.

1. I was actually worried about Donaire's power and thought he could catch Rigo. I was pretty confident of a Matthysse win here.
                    2. I watched that fight live, I got this one on replay (didn't know result though)
                    3. People were flat out disrespecting Rigo at the time, Matthysse didn't get the kind of hate Rigo did pre-fight.

But yeah I'm still high as a mother****er on boxing as of right now. My two favourites getting the best wins of their career in just over a month. It's great.
                    Rigo's was definitely more surprising as he was the underdog, but Matthysse's KDs were so dramatic. I'm so glad you and Dan_Cov converted me to Rigotardism. I've always been a Lucas' fan, but it's so nice to see him get the props he deserved. Two of my top 5 favorite fighters getting the biggest wins of their career, been a damn good 2013 so far

Haha thought this was funny, was reading the RBR and just realized all my posts during the fight were in caps. I don't even remember posting during the fight at all.

Comment

• Garcia winning depends on his discipline and stamina to box from the outside for 12 rounds and the toughness of his chin once Matthysse puts hands on him.

But Garcia has relatively slow feet and I don't see him being agile enough to stay away from Matthysse without eating power shots.

Mid-range and on the inside Garcia is capable of landing short, quick, powerful counters but if he can't dent Matthysse eventually Lucas will to get him.

Both fighters are there to be hit because both are accurate punchers and slow footed, Garcia could outbox Matthysee but I can see Matthysee punishing Garcia, not necessarily stopping him, certainly hurting Danny enough on his way to a UD win.

Comment

Working...
                      X