Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Amir Khan Pushing To Have Alexander Fight in Dubai

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fight doesn't make much financial sense, but who cares? We're fight fans, not promoters.

Comment

I think this would be great for boxing. A big welterweight title fight in Dubai makes sense if u have a ****** fighting too. Alexander should do it. It would be a big event. I got khan by decision.

Comment

Originally posted by PittyPat View Post
        Matthysse vs himself? Now that's some Street Fighter-esque, Ken vs Ken shit right there. :box2:
        LMAO!!! His hooks are like a hudoken!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by StarPower View Post
          Big fights take time. Canelo vs Floyd, Lucas vs Matthysse, and other deals. We all think promoters jobs are easy. And we as fans get impatient because negotiations take so long. I got to tip my cap to Schaefer. His jobs no freakin picnic.
          Khan versus Alexander is not a big fight. Khan has lost two of his last four. He lost to Peterson (who Matthysse just destroyed), was demolished by Garcia and should thank the boxing gods that he won a close decision against Julio Diaz, who almost knocked Khan out.

I respect the role money and promotional considerations play in the upper echelons of this sport. The length of the average boxing career is relatively short so you can't begrudge the efforts fighters and their promoters make to ensure that they capitalize financially while they're on top.

But to see a fighter who has repeatedly failed to live up to his top billing demand that a fighter who has been taking care of his business go to Dubai is just plain sad in my opinion. Devon Alexander is 25-1, has a couple of victories (Matthysse and Maidana) that are more impressive in light of how those opponents have performed since and counts his fight against Timothy Bradley as his only loss.

I hope Alexander doesn't give in here. He doesn't need Khan as a fighter, and
          even if the fight offers the most money now, I can't see this helping his career and financial prospects long-term.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFan82 View Post
            Khan versus Alexander is not a big fight. Khan has lost two of his last four. He lost to Peterson (who Matthysse just destroyed), was demolished by Garcia and should thank the boxing gods that he won a close decision against Julio Diaz, who almost knocked Khan out.

I respect the role money and promotional considerations play in the upper echelons of this sport. The length of the average boxing career is relatively short so you can't begrudge the efforts fighters and their promoters make to ensure that they capitalize financially while they're on top.

But to see a fighter who has repeatedly failed to live up to his top billing demand that a fighter who has been taking care of his business go to Dubai is just plain sad in my opinion. Devon Alexander is 25-1, has a couple of victories (Matthysse and Maidana) that are more impressive in light of how those opponents have performed since and counts his fight against Timothy Bradley as his only loss.

even if the fight offers the most money now, I can't see this helping his career and financial prospects long-term.
            Alexander hasn't been taking care ****. He's a bird ass ninja. Even in beating that bum purdy, he was boring. The bailey fight was disgusting. He beat up chino but Maidana was a bit off to me. Didn't seem like his normal self. He clocked n grabbed him all night long. Devon really lost vs Lucas. Quit like a b1tch vs Bradley, people seem to forget he quit cuz of a lil cut by his eye and really lost to Kotelnik.

Comment

Dubai makes a lot of sense for Khan. If the fight can be made there and is funded by big time Arab money that would be a big selling point for landing a Mayweather fight. In boxing terms Khan's recent performances have not earned him the right to fight for a title and dictate terms of the venue but all that goes out of the window if big time Arab money is brought to the table.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rigg View Post
                Alexander hasn't been taking care ****. He's a bird ass ninja. Even in beating that bum purdy, he was boring. The bailey fight was disgusting. He beat up chino but Maidana was a bit off to me. Didn't seem like his normal self. He clocked n grabbed him all night long. Devon really lost vs Lucas. Quit like a b1tch vs Bradley, people seem to forget he quit cuz of a lil cut by his eye and really lost to Kotelnik.
                So how would you describe Khan's latest fights?

Comment

No way he goes abroad if he's holding the strap. Maybe if he was with King.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFan82 View Post

Peterson was on some drugs or Testosterone to be fair. Plus the Ref wasn't exactly a good one and I would definitely say it benefited Peterson to have him. Still it was a damn close fight and a SD.

Garcia fight was a bad one or him but exciting. Say what you want about loses, but Khan is in exciting fights. GBP have stated that they want win or lose, fan friendly fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Chief View Post
                      Garcia fight was a bad one or him but exciting. Say what you want about loses, but Khan is in exciting fights. GBP have stated that they want win or lose, fan friendly fights.
                      The Garcia fight was exciting, but Garcia deserves the credit for that. If getting knocked out and showing some heart before the final blow is a measure of a fighter's worth, there are a ton of worthy fighters out there.

As for Khan's last fight, watching a guy who believes he is a viable opponent for the pound-for-pound king dance around the ring like a string puppet for most of the rounds against a second-tier fighter, seemingly bothered by just about every other blow, is not what I call exciting.

In any case, it's not hard to find local fights with drama and knockouts every month. But we're talking about championship-level boxing here. By that measure, it's interesting that Khan seems to care more about the location of his next fight than proving that he still deserves an audience at this level.

Comment

Working...
                      X