No announcement yet.

Lampley dissed Rigo on "The Fight Game" last night

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    When he and Max were talking about P4P fighters he mentioned how Rigondeaux is not exciting and how the crowd was booing him during the Donaire fight.

I think that's bush league. He wasn't boring at all to many of us, me included. Fought a great fight.

As a supposedly knowledgeable commentator it's Lampley's job to educate the ignorant fans who don't know skill when they see it. Instead he is degenerating into just another part of the mindless mob who only wants face first brawlers and who boos in the first round if they don't get immediate gratification.
    Lampley did far more than that. HBO let him throw sergio, floyd and rigo completely under the bus. Now I can understand HBO trying to minimize the floyd/canelo fight sine its the biggst fight of the year and its on a competitor. But segio and rigo fight on the network and Lampley pretty much said- we dont' want boxing we want fights.

Sad day when the top boxing network has its main boxing voice denounce boxers for not being "exciting". How about telling your top guys like manny and nonito to actually better their skills.

Comment

Originally posted by king Ketchel View Post
      Fight Game is an HBO spin joke.
      This^^, did you notice how only HBO fighters were given props? Lampley called Golovkin the hardest puncher Lb 4 LB, without even mentioning Matthyse as the other potential hardest puncher in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ninth Layer View Post
        Donaire was the fighter chasing after Rigondeaux, leading with punches and generally driving the fight. He wasn't successful against Rigondeaux because the Cuban fighter didn't stick around long enough for Donaire to hit him. Anybody who watched that fight knew who was trying to drive it and create action (Donaire) and who was trying to minimize and control what little action there was (Rigondeaux).

Regardless of who the fans were actually booing, the fact is they were booing. If Rigondeaux's talent is so transcendent that anyone who sees it would be dazzled, there wouldn't be booing. People like fighters who take risks; Rigondeaux didn't take any against Donaire.
        I disagree. I remember Rigo coming forward in the first round being the aggressor and staying in Donaire's punching range. Rigo fought a smart fight had a game plan and stuck to it. Donaire and Robert Garcia didn't have a game plan and it was evident. IMO Garcia and Doanire really thought they were going to go in there and blast Rigo out and that didn't even come close to happening. Rigo didn't take a lot risks, but I don't think anyone can say he didn't any risk.

Comment

I been lost crazy respect for that clown Jim Lampley. I normally don't watch his ****** show but I happened to catch it after the fight Saturday n boy did he make a fool out of himself. Dissing Rigo like as if he doesn't know what pure boxing is. And then just sounding like such a butt hurt bozo when talking about Mayweather. His show should just be about HBO fighters because he sounds too bitter when talking about GB fighters.

Comment

In the first 2-3 rds Donaire seen he would get countered with some serious thunder and fought scared. The more u attack Rigo the more he will counter and the more exciting the fight will be. After the first few rds Nonito was stuck n didn't wanna attack him anymore. That's why the action in the fight slowed up n fans booed.

Comment

Rigondeaux is great but he is flat out boring. In before someone calls me someone who doesn't know **** about boxing - I've had 47 amateur bouts.

Comment

Originally posted by stefl14 View Post
                Rigondeaux is great but he is flat out boring. In before someone calls me someone who doesn't know **** about boxing - I've had 47 amateur bouts.
                Then you are the minority. 47 fights don't mean you understand or appreciate boxing either. I know plenty of fighters in my gym that have skill and or talent but dont understand or appreciate the science and strategy aspect of the sport. I have less than half the same number of fights and love everything about Rigos style. And most people that I know personally in and outside my gym agree that fighters like Rigo are special and truly delightful to witness at work.

You don't have to like it, but don't act like it's not true that what he does in the ring epitomizes boxing as a sport.

If you like senseless ****ing significantly more than good defense and counter punching and full use of the ring, then it's safe to say you like fighting, not necessarily boxing. You would get the same entertainment from street fights or MMA.
                Last edited by LoadedWraps; 07-01-2013, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Look, obviously Rigo isn't a KO artist, but he is not boring. Rigo is very explosive, hits very hard, and most importantly he gets aggressive when he sees the opp, like in the last round against Nino. Rigo knows exactly when to go for the KO.

IMO, Rigo is more exciting than FLoyd, but obviously Floyd resume and division is way better.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                    Then you are the minority. 47 fights don't mean you understand or appreciate boxing either. I know plenty of fighters in my gym that have skill and or talent but dont understand or appreciate the science and strategy aspect of the sport. I have less than half the same number of fights and love everything about Rigos style. And most people that I know personally in and outside my gym agree that fighters like Rigo are special and truly delightful to witness at work.

You don't have to like it, but don't act like it's not true that what he does in the ring epitomizes boxing as a sport.
                    I do appreciate boxing style - in fact I am a pure boxer and have had a good deal of success! I am a huge fan of Mayweather for example. Like Rigo, he boxes and uses the sweet science. However, he actually throws an acceptable amount of punches. I appreciate Rigo's skills but I can't appreciate a fighter who doesn't throw punches when they are dominating so much that they can do so with little or no additional risk.

Comment

aw shit! someone didn't find Rigo exciting!
                      seriously, so what if Lampley shit on him?
                      many fans do and even his own fucking promoter has
                      no one can say Rigo's not damn good, he's a unified lineal champion
                      personally ate crow, along with many others when he beat Nonito
                      but that has nothing to do with his lack of entertainment value
                      Rigo is boring as fuck, it is what it is

Comment

Working...
                      X