No announcement yet.

HBO Is Sinking... Good Thing They've Found Gold In GGG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
    It's no big loss. All they were getting from GBP was Broner, Thurman, and Hopkins. The only one they care about losing is Broner, but not if it cost them 2.5m in purses for a 14-1 showcase against Paulie.
    True. HBO could care less about boxing it seems, which is lame, because I've always loved it.

Showtime has definitely taken them over as far as boxing goes. Just like when they stole Tyson back in the 90s.

Comment

HBO is playing the long term game, and it's the right move. Golden Boy will come crawling back in the next couple of years.

Comment

People complain that up-and-comers don't get enough opportunities on premium cable, and when HBO does it, those same fans complain about it. Oosthuizen/Gonzales was kinda boring, but the fact that it was a match-up between undefeated contenders should count for something. This is proof that some fans care more about being entertained and not the best fighting each other. I'd rather see a boring competitive fight than a one-sided match-up like Canelo/Josesito or Alexander/Purdy. Some fans want instant gratification for every single fight, but that's not realistic. GGG brought that because that's what he does, but you can't expect everyone else to do the same.

HBO and Showtime have had their share of bad match-ups and bad fights. Matthysse/Peterson was a good match-up, but not a good fight. Bradley/Provodnikov was just an okay matchup, but it turned out to be entertaining. Mikey/Juanma was a mismatch and it showed.
        Last edited by kiaba360; 06-30-2013, 12:59 PM.

Comment

HBO can still afford to make ****ty fights. Fans put up with years of garbage Berto matchups and similar Haymon infested fights. They made Rees/Broner, remember? Just to enrich GBP and Haymon.

HBO's break up with Haymon and GBP has been good for fans. Showtime can't afford to make garbage fights. They don't have that kind of money.
          Last edited by al-Xander; 06-30-2013, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatling View Post
            True. HBO could care less about boxing it seems, which is lame, because I've always loved it.

Showtime has definitely taken them over as far as boxing goes. Just like when they stole Tyson back in the 90s.
            I don't think they stopped caring, just putting in place a more responsible policy. Not letting a promoter strongarm them into outrageous purses for showcases. Hershman was able to do a lot for less at Showtime, and so far so good at HBO. Like I said, Bradley Prov, Rios Alvarado, Kessler Froch came cheap, and Showtime still hasn't had a similar quality fight this year, despite best intentions (Lopez Maidana, Matthysse Peterson). Maybe Lara Angulo, that was quality but nobody saw it.

Comment

I didn't see the fight yet but I have a feeling lampley has a hard on for ggg and will soon have another "bang bang bang bang" moment

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
                People complain that up-and-comers don't get enough opportunities on premium cable, and when HBO does it, those same fans complain about it. Oosthuizen/Gonzales was kinda boring, but the fact that it was a match-up between undefeated contenders should count for something. This is proof that some fans care more about being entertained and not the best fighting each other. I'd rather see a boring competitive fight than a one-sided match-up like Canelo/Josesito or Alexander/Purdy. Some fans want instant gratification for every single fight, but that's not realistic. GGG brought that because that's what he does, but you can't expect everyone else to do the same.

HBO and Showtime have had their share of bad match-ups and bad fights. Matthysse/Peterson was a good match-up, but not a good fight. Bradley/Provodnikov was just an okay matchup, but it turned out to be entertaining. Mikey/Juanma was a mismatch and it showed.

Internet boxing community just wanna see top rank/gbp fighters

Comment

when Showtime had fraction of the budget they do now and non of the big names they still managed to put on better cards then what HBO is doing now

Comment

Originally posted by -BORICUA- View Post
                    Come on dawg as far as action HBO has been owning Showtime. Tell me any fights on Showtime that were better than Bradley-provodnikov, rios-Alvarado 2,and froch-Kessler?
                    Not to mention that hbo has some great rising stars like GGG,mikey garcia,Terrence Crawford,Adonis Stevenson,sergey kovalev,and rigondeaux.

Also the future number one pound for pound Andre ward
                    And
                    Pacman
                    Bam Bam
                    Mile High

Dinamita
                    Desert Storm
                    And the son of the legend Chavez jr.
                    The fights mentioned were not supposed to be good. Bradley Prov was a **** match up and only became FotY contender because Bradley got sad people didn't like his style. Rios-Alvarado are two B level fighters slugging it out...cool to watch but not great fights in terms of what they mean.

Rios, alv, JCC Jr. those guys I bolded aren't great fighters....Rios and Alvarado are just mediocre sluggers ... more so Rios and Chavez hasn't many skills to his arsenal other than weighing a ton more than his opponent.

The Rios-Pac PPV is garbage....sure it's not a bad fight, but for it to be PPV is silly. HBO has been pathetic lately but it's to be expected. All in all no one wins and regardless of who wins the stupid promotional / broadcasting war.... the people who lose are boxing fans because they can't work together. A lot of great interesting matchups can be made if everyone worked together but screw it...apparently no one else cares and wants to see these fights.

Now you have oh can't make fight GBP vs TR AND oh he has a SHO contract can't fight him he has an HBO contract....are you kidding me? I want to see great fights between great fighters, FotY type fights between random brawlers are cool....but I love top guy vs top guy....something that has a major impact on the sport and intrigue to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimgash View Post
                      The fights mentioned were not supposed to be good. Bradley Prov was a **** match up and only became FotY contender because Bradley got sad people didn't like his style. Rios-Alvarado are two B level fighters slugging it out...cool to watch but not great fights in terms of what they mean.

Rios, alv, JCC Jr. those guys I bolded aren't great fighters....Rios and Alvarado are just mediocre sluggers ... more so Rios and Chavez hasn't many skills to his arsenal other than weighing a ton more than his opponent.

The Rios-Pac PPV is garbage....sure it's not a bad fight, but for it to be PPV is silly. HBO has been pathetic lately but it's to be expected. All in all no one wins and regardless of who wins the stupid promotional / broadcasting war.... the people who lose are boxing fans because they can't work together. A lot of great interesting matchups can be made if everyone worked together but screw it...apparently no one else cares and wants to see these fights.

Now you have oh can't make fight GBP vs TR AND oh he has a SHO contract can't fight him he has an HBO contract....are you kidding me? I want to see great fights between great fighters, FotY type fights between random brawlers are cool....but I love top guy vs top guy....something that has a major impact on the sport and intrigue to it.
                      Bradley Prov wasn't supposed to be competitive, they got lucky. But remind me of a single decent or promising fight SHO had on in the 4 months preceding Canelo Trout? I can't think of 1.

No need to ***** on Rios Alvarado, both were top notch fights that bring new fans to boxing.

Comment

Working...
                      X