Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Josesito Not Happy: Maidana Stoppage Was Premature

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't necessarily describe the stoppage as horrible, however, I do feel he should have been given a chance to fight back. He is a proven warrior, as he mentioned in the article, and it was a competitive fight up to that point.

I often think about Miguel Cotto-Ricardo Torres in situations such as this. That fight is a perfect example of a referee really giving a fighter a chance to fight back. After some of the stoppages I have been seeing lately, I'm very surprised that fight was able to go on. Then looked what happened, Cotto weathered the storm and came back in a classic fight. There is nothing that leads me to believe that Lopez was incapable of doing something similar, especially after showing the ability to hurt Maidana. I'm not claiming the fights were synonymous, but the situation is conceivable.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxer1590 View Post
      I wouldn't necessarily describe the stoppage as horrible, however, I do feel he should have been given a chance to fight back. He is a proven warrior, as he mentioned in the article, and it was a competitive fight up to that point.

I often think about Miguel Cotto-Ricardo Torres in situations such as this. That fight is a perfect example of a referee really giving a fighter a chance to fight back. After some of the stoppages I have been seeing lately, I'm very surprised that fight was able to go on. Then looked what happened, Cotto weathered the storm and came back in a classic fight. There is nothing that leads me to believe that Lopez was incapable of doing something similar, especially after showing the ability to hurt Maidana. I'm not claiming the fights were synonymous, but the situation is conceivable.
      Lopez stood still and took punishment for like 20 seconds. How is that not enough time to fight back?

Comment

I understand the stoppage but i dont support it.
        It was alot of unanswered shots in a row three very hard ones out of lik 6-7 but the ref shoulda let the knockdown come which im sure would have came but thats how lopez fights same with dana.
        Lopez would have gotten k.oed later on anyways in my eyes but i would have liked to see the fight bfor that came.Dana too strong for lopez.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          Lopez stood still and took punishment for like 20 seconds. How is that not enough time to fight back?
          I already stated my opinion. Refer to my post again if you would like my opinion. Otherwise I will just be repeating myself and arguing for the sake of arguing.

Comment

It looked like the same as compared with the Alvarez fight.
            With a difference: Maidana is smaller than Canelo and even Lopez...

Comment

Was a bit of a quick stoppage but I believe he would have been properly stopped shortly after anyway.

Comment

even I thought it was a bit premature... he seemed fine to me... not that badly hurt

Comment

It was early. Josesito had the ability to hurt Maidana and he's a proven warrior. He should have been given a chance it was 3 unanswered punches. Not enough to warrant a stoppage . Also he was looking at him the whole time. His eyes looked fine. I really hope Josesito doesn't fall off the grid after this.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by StarPower View Post
                    What are you talking about it was an even fight. Lopez was in trouble but he wasnt finished. Whats done is done but with all the swings in that fight I would be a little upset too.
                    And you would be a little brain damaged if it had continued.

Comment

Originally posted by baya View Post
                      plain and simple, that was a bs stoppage. he got hit with like 3 unanswered blows. this is what these cotdamn dudes do for a living and you have an idiot in there LITERALLY taking away their lively hood. imagine if erik morales was stopped prematurely in his fights where he lulled and the same for MAB? discretion is paramount in this game, when everyone is smarter about the situation it all goes better. ref should have known that lopez is a warrior that can be put into bad spots the same as maidana.

fukn people act like a guy can't get beat up anymore - it's a FIGHT!

bs stoppage.
                      It's called boxing. We'll let you know when the name is changed to rock em sock em robots.

Comment

Working...
                      X