Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 5 best Latin American fighters of all time. Curious thing is that...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oscar had better skills, resume and accomplishments than a lot of the guys being mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by FilMor
      Quote:

Originally Posted by .:: JSFD26 ::.

A lot of us have some "spaniard" blood in us. Spanish is not even the primary language in Brazil...

The portuguese colonized you, historically both portugal and spain are very alike, i mean after all you can throw a rock from spain and it will land on portugal. Both languages are based on the latin romance language, what there is to debate here? Of course brasilians are latino.
      You who? Cuba was NOT colonized by Portugal so Idk who or what you're talking about. But I'm already over this subject.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
        You who? Cuba was NOT colonized by Portugal so Idk who or what you're talking about. But I'm already over this subject.

Oh ok whatever, you make cubans look bad then.

Comment

I already said I misuse it all the time. The same way I misuse "spanish". I ask people if they're "spanish" but doesn't necessarily mean I'm asking if they're from Spain. Its something that got stuck with me from back in the day when I lived up north.

I understand and I'm not coming down on you. Latino is a term given to the countries from the Latin region of Europe. Countries that spoke Latin based or romance languages.

Brazil is included on that group. Even though people want to make "Latin" a race, it's not. I'm not Latin, I'm of Mexican descent, of American and Mexican nationality and Mestizo (mix between native indian and european blood).

It gets complicated but Brazilians are technically latinos.

Comment

Yea. Nothing against Brazilians cause they're cool as **** but I never felt comfortable when people call them latinos. Aren't they made up mostly of Europeans, Africans and some Asian?

Hell, I'd say Filipinos are more "latino" than Brazilians.

That is the basic mix for all of us. Negro, español, tainos (en el caribe). The difference is that they speak Portuguese, we speak spanish. Both language are romance language or vulgar latin. They are latinos.

The lists are subjective. And somehow kind of insulting when you consider that you might leave someone out that might be as good as the other.

Comment

1-Canelo/Chavez Sr

2-Duran

3-Sanchez

4-Monzon

5-Arguello

Comment

Sanchez
                JCC Sr
                Lopez

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                  I understand and I'm not coming down on you. Latino is a term given to the countries from the Latin region of Europe. Countries that spoke Latin based or romance languages.

Brazil is included on that group. Even though people want to make "Latin" a race, it's not. I'm not Latin, I'm of Mexican descent, of American and Mexican nationality and Mestizo (mix between native indian and european blood).

It gets complicated but Brazilians are technically latinos.
                  So which do you choose In a census survey:

Asian
                  Black
                  Caucasian
                  Native American

Comment

In no particular order
                    Duran
                    Kid Chocolate
                    Monzon
                    Ricardo Lopez
                    Wilfredo Gomez
                    Wilfredo Benitez
                    Jose Napoles
                    Ruben Olivares
                    Alexis Arguellos
                    Kid Gavilan
                    JM Marquez
                    Chavez had his record padded for most of his career, I see Barrera and Morales with better resume than him, Sal Sanchez die too soon and we can only dream what he could had done if not for his untimely death, there other Mexican greats like Kid Azteca, Miguel Canto, Chiquita Gonzalez that could be in the list too, to me it's too hard to just pick 5 from a list of greats...

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                      With all due respect, that is absurd.

Whether or not he fought in Brazil often, Jofre beat a lot of great fighters that makes Lopez' look weak in comparison. He also beat all but two, both against the HOF great Harada in close fights.

As to other posts that say Chavez doesn't deserve a top 5 spot, that's just being biased and ******. Chavez is clearly among the top five, and very arguably 2nd behind Duran.

Only Monzon could really be argued as above him with any equality and even that's tricky. It's very difficult, without being absurdly biased, to ignore what Chavez did. He's easily above most others people have mentioned being above him so far, in every single category you want to choose.

The amount of champions he beat, along with championship defenses, his undefeated streak until Whitaker, in different divisions is unparalleled in the sports history. You're just being ingenuous not having him in the top 5.

If you have Arguello, for instance, but not Chavez, you're being ******. Kid Gavilan, Jose Napoles, Ricardo Lopez, Sal Sanchez etc etc, but no Chavez....
                      Why is Chavez greater than Gavilan? That notion is absurd to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X