No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Nacho; Matthysse is The Best 140-Pounder in The World

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GRUSTLER View Post
    Movement and countering beats Matthysse. Standing and trying to trade don't. Peterson was on Jack Ass mode if he thought he could out bang Matthysse. He talked a good game but fell short. I'm picking Garcia if the fight happens. Garcia is a strong young kid with a good punch. He knows how to exploit holes. If he doesn't get too wild like he did with Judah then he beats Matthysse but if he gives any openings for Matthysse to land cleanly then it could be lights out.
    I agree that movement accompanied with good countering is what can beat Lucas but what I have seen of Garcia, he does not move. Garcia relies on his counter punches and timing.

Everyone saw the first round with Peterson. Lucas was not comfortable chasing Peterson ( cutting off the ring) ...... Lucas needs to improve in that department.

Comment

Originally posted by lopez36
      Dont know if anybof u watch golpe a golpe on espn with jmm and he said he would probably favor garcia a bit bcuz hes a little better boxer...but i hope danny does take the fight
      Yup. Everyone thought PEDerson was a better boxer too and look what happened to him. Lucas' boxing is so underrated that even people in the fight game overlook it.

It would take a PURE boxer to beat Lucas.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by ADP02
        Quote:

Originally Posted by GRUSTLER

Movement and countering beats Matthysse. Standing and trying to trade don't. Peterson was on Jack Ass mode if he thought he could out bang Matthysse. He talked a good game but fell short. I'm picking Garcia if the fight happens. Garcia is a strong young kid with a good punch. He knows how to exploit holes. If he doesn't get too wild like he did with Judah then he beats Matthysse but if he gives any openings for Matthysse to land cleanly then it could be lights out.

I agree that movement accompanied with good countering is what can beat Lucas but what I have seen of Garcia, he does not move. Garcia relies on his counter punches and timing.

Everyone saw the first round with Peterson. Lucas was not comfortable chasing Peterson ( cutting off the ring) ...... Lucas needs to improve in that department.
        Did you miss the end of the first round when Lucas started catching up with PEDerson and the shots he landed on him? He adjusted and found his distance.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
          Did you miss the end of the first round when Lucas started catching up with PEDerson and the shots he landed on him? He adjusted and found his distance.

Yes but he stumbled and had lots of trouble before that. Look, I was pulling for Lucas but I know when I see a flaw. Actually, its a flaw that many fighters have in that they have difficulty against a good defensive fighter that is on his game.

I have seen other fighters connect even better than Lucas did that one time at the end of the 1st round but then they went down hill after that. It's not an easy thing to master and Lucas didn't look like he had the handle on that skill.

So I stand by saying that Lucas better improve in that department before he faces a real good mover/counter puncher with good punch.

A good example of what I'm saying is Donaire vs Rigo. Lucas actually did better than Donaire that night but the point is how will Lucas respond to a Rigo type boxer?

I don't see too many in the 140-147 divisions but there are some decent ones for sure.

Note: Peterson only moved in round 1 ... after that he stood toe to toe and got caught ...
          Last edited by ADP02; 05-27-2013, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ADP02
            Quote:

Originally Posted by .:: JSFD26 ::.

Yes but he stumbled and had lots of trouble before that. Look, I was pulling for Lucas but I know when I see a flaw. Actually, its a flaw that many fighters have in that they have difficulty against a good defensive fighter that is on his game.

I have seen other fighters connect even better than Lucas did that one time at the end of the 1st round but then they went down hill after that. It's not an easy thing to master and Lucas didn't look like he had the handle on that skill.

So I stand by saying that Lucas better improve in that department before he faces a real good mover/counter puncher with good punch.

A good example of what I'm saying is Donaire vs Rigo. Lucas actually did better than Donaire that night but the point is how will Lucas respond to a Rigo type boxer?

I don't see too many in the 140-147 divisions but there are some decent ones for sure.

Note: Peterson only moved in round 1 ... after that he stood toe to toe and got caught ...
            He will lose. I don't think any Matthysse fan hides that fact. But now let me ask you this, how many Rigo's or Mayweather's are there at 140-147?

Comment

I just realized you answered my question in your comment after the bold. Anyway, that's the reason why a lot of people don't see Lucas losing. Cause there isn't any pure boxers at 140-147 except for Mayweather and Alexander. And he already beat Alexander so.

Comment

My guess is that PEDerson stopped moving cause of the shots Lucas landed at the end of the first. PEDerson said it himself, that he was more concerned about Lucas' boxing than anything. So I guess when he found himself getting tagged he switched plans. And btw... those shots were HARD.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
                  He will lose. I don't think any Matthysse fan hides that fact. But now let me ask you this, how many Rigo's or Mayweather's are there at 140-147?

Agreed. Love Matthysse but a pure boxer is where he destruction ends. But like you said there aren't many around that could provide that kinda trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by pacmanis1
                    Quote:

Originally Posted by .:: JSFD26 ::.

Agreed. Love Matthysse but a pure boxer is where he destruction ends. But like you said there aren't many around that could provide that kinda trouble.
                    It will take a special kind IMO. He already beat Alexander who's a mover. I'm not mentioning Soto cause he was past prime and not everybody agrees he beat Judah.

He also beat Ajose. He has quick hands and can move as well. So Lucas proven that he can beat boxers. That's why I said it's gonna take a special one to do so. And that only special one is Floyd.

Comment

I think the last 3 rounds with Judah gave Garcia the education he needs to beat Lucas. Without those rough last 3 rounds, I don't know that Garcia makes the proper adjustments to beat Lucas. So I think we will see a much tighter and calculated Garcia come fight night. Plain and simple to beat Lucas you need power to keep him honest, no one Lucas has fought besides Judah had really decent power, and he got gun shy as soon as he felt the power. I don't see Danny trying to survive, he's either going to let his hands go, or leave on a stretcher. Mark my word he's going to try to counter Lucas all night long similar to Marquez vs. Pac and to be honest that's his best shot.
                      Last edited by hhwff3000; 05-27-2013, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X