Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Joe Calzaghe: A Good Fight, But I'd Beat Andre Ward!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mathed View Post
    You people are crazy, Joe dismantled a prime, undefeated Kessler and beat up on a younger Bika.....two of the 4 fighters that define Ward's entire legacy. What gets me is people saying Ward would adapt and "cruise" to a wide UD, LMAO.....Calzaghe was better than anyone I've ever seen (much, much better than Ward) at adapting mid-fight.

Ward hasn't done anything in a year and is setting himself up as a commentator as we speak, he's pretty much done with his career with 26 fights, Joe almost doubled that and won titles in two divisions plus traveled across the ocean to fight the big fights while Ward had everyone come here. Ward is highly overrated imo.
    Yea real overrated clowning a top 10 p4p in froch like he was a bum come on man.

Comment

I wasn't impressed with Calzaghe. He was a good athlete with fast hands. But he also held alot and boxed dirty. He mostly frustrated his opponents. As far as him adjusting I didn't see him adjusting his fighting style. Pretty much fought the same way with everyone. With that being said, I could see him beating Ward but it wouldn't be easy. Ward has alot of the dirty ways that Calzaghe thrived on so I think it would be an ugly boring fight with a slight point victory for Calzaghe.
      Last edited by HarvardBlue; 05-17-2013, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Everyone going on about the Hopkins fight do remember Calzaghe was not prime as well dont they?

Comment

Ridiculous some people here truly ridiculous.

First when we talk of the opinions of figters....they tend to have very different points of view...lets just say they do not pick the winners often when asked about fights! And when asked "who hits the hardest?" some of the names mentioned are a suprise to say the least. With Bikka and Kesler the opinion they have about Ward comes from a lot of things, an objective assesment about skill is not one of them. Kessler for one was pissed at Ward. So lets be real about that opinion as an indication of anything!

Now lets look at the data we do have: Hopkins put Calzighe on his ass and beat him. Hopkins who was past it. Ward beat up the guy who eat Hopkins recently.

Joe's work rate would be affected because Ward like any great fighter would neutralize Joe's slaps. Once Joe got hit in his guts a few times and smothered I think he would slow down a bit.

Joe was not adaptible!! He was able to impose his will because....He fought ****! He did not impose his will on Hopkins, he snuck by because one judge saw it his way.

Ward would show Joe that a fight takes place in all ranges. He would put Joe on his ass like Hopkins did and then do it again a few more times.

Slappy coasted and everybody knows that. Kessler is a solid fighter....he is not a great fighter. Joe was impressive in that he saw the weakness in Lacy while others did not, he deserves credit for that.

If one more judge had scored the Hopkins fight properly we probably would not be having this discussion frankly.

Comment

Originally posted by flat1985 View Post
            Everyone going on about the Hopkins fight do remember Calzaghe was not prime as well dont they?
            that seems to get overlooked

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyu View Post
              I agree with everything you said - people keep saying he beat fighters past their prime as you say he beat an undefeated prime fighter in Kessler who was then undefeated he also beat Lacey who then at the time was considered the best pound for pound and has never been the same since the beating he took from Joe and Bernard Hopkins look what he has accomplished since losing to Joe - if he did not do anything since Joe then that would be another story but that is not the case these fans say Calzaghe lost to Hopkins on their card are living in there own fantasy, if that was the case believe me no British fighter will get the nod in the States if the fight was that close it just does'nt happen the fact he got the decision menas he won by a bigger margin that these anti-calzaghe fans are saying.
              'The fucck outta here. Lacey was never considered the best pound for pound. He was a prospect. Nothing else.

I like Calzaghe but he can talk all he want and it won't matter - he's retired. He fought a close fight against Hopkins who was not in his prime. He fought a shot Jones Jr.. He won, in a close fight, against Reid...

Comment

PiTTy pat joe was nice he did beat Kessler and lacy and a few others but main prize fights was against old but skillful Hopkins and deff washed up non skill having jones. But both of them are no andre ward which also beat Kessler Easiler when joe had a tough time and I truly believe joe can't by no means beat Andre ward no way. But since he retired undefeated I guess he has that right to say he could even if couldn't. Deff would of love to see this fight tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
                  Ward is much better than a 43 year old Hopkins, who Calzaghe so heavily struggled against. Ward would get in on him, control him and win a decision.
                  I don't want to comment on the chance of Calzaghe chances Ward
                  but I just want to ask : what are the chances of Ward against this 43-year-old Hopkins ? dare I say what are his chances against Hopkins today ?!!!

Believe me , he will have the fight of his life
                  Last edited by mezoomozaa; 05-17-2013, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Never heard a retire boxer say that some boxer who's at the top in a new era could beat him. Calzaghe is supposed to feel he would beat Ward.

I think it's too early to predict a fantasy match-up between them. Let's see how much more Ward will accomplish. What if Ward has more tools to bring to the table? He could very well improve even more so we don't know if we have seen the best of Ward.

Comment

• I really don't see Calslappy winning this one.

Comment

Working...
                      X